Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th October 2016, 19:12   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car Aircon Problem

^^ In my view , you should seek a second opinion.

If the compressor seal is indeed the culprit,please go ahead and have it replaced.

That should be followed by a pressure test of the compressor at 250-300psig , then fitment of the compressor , a full system pressure and hold test at the same pressure , then a vacuum hold test at full vacuum for 30 mins before charging refrigerant.

It is strange to see a professional technician state that refrigerant could still leak out in a few days even after replacing the oil seal.Why would anyone then spend time and money on a seal replacement if the assurance of leak free performance is only for a few days?
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 22:25   #32
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ In my view , you should seek a second opinion.

If the compressor seal is indeed the culprit,please go ahead and have it replaced.
Before you reassemble the unit with a new seal make sure that the rod that accepts the seal does not have score marks on it. If it does the gas is going to leak immediately. You will have to smoothen it out at the lathe. Once smoothed out the leak will be sorted out. If there is compressor wine then its best to get a new unit.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 14:51   #33

Quote:
That should be followed by a pressure test of the compressor at 250-300psig , then fitment of the compressor , a full system pressure and hold test at the same pressure , then a vacuum hold test at full vacuum for 30 mins before charging refrigerant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Before you reassemble the unit with a new seal make sure that the rod that accepts the seal does not have score marks on it. If it does the gas is going to leak immediately. You will have to smoothen it out at the lathe. Once smoothed out the leak will be sorted out. If there is compressor wine then its best to get a new unit.
Thank you vigsom and drpullockaran! I'll take both of these feedback when I leave it for repair and ensure it's correctly done.

The gas does not currently leak immediately, it takes about 6 weeks. The cooling can be felt to reduce gradually. Also there is no whine in the compressor.

Tobias of Wecool says it doesn't show any leak when the a/c is off; he says the compressor leaks the gas only when it's running. But still he's not prepared to give any assurance on how long a replaced seal will hold. Is it possible that he's not sure about the leak being from a worn out seal on the compressor?

Is there any other place the gas could leak from, which doesn't show up in a standstill test? Like is there some pipe or valve that could leak only when subjected to driving vibrations? Can this be simulated in a parked position?
lancer_gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 17:49   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Folks, vigsom had done a major job on his Corolla aircon some years back. It involved replacing the seals etc. towards the end. You can probably fish out the thread with pictures, and a detailed account on this forum.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 11:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_gypsy View Post
Tobias of Wecool says the compressor leaks the gas only when it's running?
The same logic was given by my a.c. technician when I did up my Corolla.

A good seal on a scoring marks free compressor shaft should be good enough.That is , if the seal is indeed leaking.

Other potential leak points are the refrigerant pressure switch and the condenser.However no drop in pressure during a hold test means all is well.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 12:27   #36

Quote:
The same logic was given by my a.c. technician when I did up my Corolla.

A good seal on a scoring marks free compressor shaft should be good enough.That is , if the seal is indeed leaking.

Other potential leak points are the refrigerant pressure switch and the condenser.However no drop in pressure during a hold test means all is well.
Thanks Vigsom! I'll have the seal replaced, with checking the shaft and also hold and vacuum pressure; will update this thread.
lancer_gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote