Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th May 2013, 22:06   #1
BHPian

Smile Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration

I always dreamed of having a padmini. Mainly because of sentimental reasons; my father owned one when i was little, i lost him at a young age and i felt that i could connect more with him if i restored one.
I was studying and working in London. When i got back here, i started looking for a fiat to restore. The task of finding such a car was easier said thatn done. Some people were asking for the sun and moon for a padmini. ridiculous.
I had almost gives up hope, when one fine evening, my mechanic who i know from when i was born called me reading a fiat that was for sale. I didnt think twice and i bought it.
I then got in touch with Mr. Dhabbar who was kind enough and accepted to meet me so that he could guide me.
Unfortunately our meeting never happened as I had to rush back to london as my girl friend got into an accident. She is fine now.

You guys must have wondered why i told you so much. This is because my friends decided to start work on the car when i was in London in order to surprise me. I had already spoken to the mechanic and tinker regarding the work on the car. Plus i have a long history with the garage, they have worked on all my cars and the cars my family has owned. They are very knowledgeable and the work they do is impeccable.

i was greeted this morning by the pictures in my mailbox.
The car was fine mechanically, most of the work neede would be tin work.
here are the photographs, plesae do suggest and comment. I would be giving inputs to my friends aswell, so if you have any thing to say do let me know. My friend is knowledgeable about cars, so no worry about that
Attached Thumbnails
Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-1.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-2.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-3.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-4.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-5.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-6.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-7.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-8.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-9.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-10.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-11.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-12.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-13.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-14.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-15.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-16.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-17.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-18.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-19.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-20.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-21.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-22.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-23.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-24.jpg  

Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration-25.jpg  

HimuraKenshin is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 00:55   #2
BHPian

Default re: Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration

Do the valve-seats need to be rebuilt specifically to take unleaded fuel, or was the s1 already zero-lead-compatible?
vivekjayasheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 08:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
Do the valve-seats need to be rebuilt specifically to take unleaded fuel, or was the s1 already zero-lead-compatible?
I think the S1 is unleaded fuel compatible
HimuraKenshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 08:59   #4
BHPian

The metal used for patching seems not virgin, probably from some other discarded metal parts. It is already showing signs of rust. This is not desirable. The patched areas will prove to be troublesome and all efforts wasted. No matter how much you try to remove surface rust, once the oxidation process has begun, it is very difficult to stop. Please ask your body shop to use only virgin metal . In the long run you will be better off.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 09:23   #5
BHPian

looking at the photos, it's got bucket seats, floor swift,Wah does it comes as OE? my small thought, change to hanging pedals if possible.
narendra.vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 10:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
The metal used for patching seems not virgin, probably from some other discarded metal parts. It is already showing signs of rust. This is not desirable. The patched areas will prove to be troublesome and all efforts wasted. No matter how much you try to remove surface rust, once the oxidation process has begun, it is very difficult to stop. Please ask your body shop to use only virgin metal . In the long run you will be better off.
hey,
the body parts, (for example the wheel arches) had to be bought and the parts are not very easily available. I have inspected the rust and it is only on the surface. the backside has already been scrapped and 2 coats of red oxide applied prior to being welded. The outside will be grinded down aswell, till it is all shiny then etching primer goes on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
looking at the photos, it's got bucket seats, floor swift,Wah does it comes as OE? my small thought, change to hanging pedals if possible.
yes, all of those are OE. Could you enlighten me on hanging pedals, i dont seem to fully understand.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 19th May 2013 at 10:42. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 19th May 2013, 19:54   #7
BHPian

Any new cars have this setup. the pedals will be hanging from the top back of dash board. this gives more space for foot to go under the the pedal. floor carpeting will be neat, do cable system for clutch, booster master cylinder for brakes. any small car like M800 parts will match. You need to fabricate braket for the pedals need a good tinker.
narendra.vw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:01   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Shom's Padmini S1 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
Any new cars have this setup. the pedals will be hanging from the top back of dash board. this gives more space for foot to go under the the pedal. floor carpeting will be neat, do cable system for clutch, booster master cylinder for brakes. any small car like M800 parts will match. You need to fabricate braket for the pedals need a good tinker.
Im not sure if it will be reliable, should i modify important things like the break and clutch just for aesthetics?
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread brings fond memories of our 1100D. We restored it completely, both mechanically and aesthetically. Unfortunately, those days we hardly bothered to take photographs of the restoration process. however, some pics of the car can be found in old family albums. Apart from low ground clearance and some niggling issues, the car did a good job of carrying us around. However, not to discourage you, just that the whole process did not result in a completely niggle free car, no matter how much money was spent. Problems from unexpected corners kept cropping up.

I will keep an eye on this thread as I can identify myself with the process. Thanks for sharing. BTW, which color are you planning to dip it in?

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd May 2013 at 10:19.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
This thread brings fond memories of our 1100D. We restored it completely, both mechanically and aesthetically. Unfortunately, those days we hardly bothered to take photographs of the restoration process. however, some pics of the car can be found in old family albums. Apart from low ground clearance and some niggling issues, the car did a good job of carrying us around. However, not to discourage you, just that the whole process did not result in a completely niggle free car, no matter how much money was spent. Problems from unexpected corners kept cropping up.

I will keep an eye on this thread as I can identify myself with the process. Thanks for sharing. BTW, which color are you planning to dip it in?

Regards,
Saket
hi!
thanks for your response!
I wanted to know if there are any specific trouble areas that i should be looking at from the beginning.
What are the sort of niggling issues you faced? it would be lovely if you could share them and advice me
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
hi!
thanks for your response!
I wanted to know if there are any specific trouble areas that i should be looking at from the beginning.
What are the sort of niggling issues you faced? it would be lovely if you could share them and advice me
Glad that you asked. I don't know how much it will help you as some of these issues were connected with the age of the vehicle. It was a 1967 made vehicle and we took it to many places like Patna, Varanasi, Vindhyachal, Sasaram, Jamshedpur, etc.

We constantly faced the issue of low ground clearance of the car. The silencer muffler of the 1100D (and I think Padminis were no different) was the part that would take the beating. This in turn would break one of the brackets which supported the muffler. This was under the body, somewhere near the middle of the length of the car, like beneath the driver's door.
The problem was more pronounced with a loaded car. It's an inherent character of the Padminis to sag their rear a lot too much, as low as almost pegging the ground, when loaded with some luggage (in boot) and rear passengers. Result: The silencer muffler was replaced twice and the brackets were repaired innumerable number of times. The ground clearance of the car was just 128mm!

Secondly, our car had some issue with its charging system, which despite spending a lot kept us bothering until we sold the car! I think the S1 comes with an alternator system, but as our car was old, it had a Dynamo, which failed n number of times during its stay with us. We had to change armatures, cut-outs, and even the battery so many times that we lost the count. This was the most un-reliable aspect of our car.

Next the pedals, as some one also suggested, the design was as such that it had holes under the clutch & brake pedals for their operation. These holes were big enough to at times splash water during the rainy season esp when the car ran over potholes. But I suggest you to cover these holes only by rubber carpets, or such things only. I would not recommend changing to the new pedal system as safety might be at stake due to this modification.

I think that rear-wheel wobbling is another inherent issue with the car, though, not something that compromises safety.

Once even the differential gave up! Somehow the oil leaked and fried the differential. It needed to be replaced! Radiator also leaked once or twice, but those were the days when probably Maruti 800 was the only niggle free car (relatively) on the roads of India. All FIATs & Ambassadors needed to see the garage once in a while.

Getting a trouble free new car was an upgrade that we could not believe, after owning the FIAT 1100D. But still, I loved this car. I learnt driving on this car and traveled a lot with family in it to places. Thankfully, apart from a few, may be 2-3 times (that too during a single trip), we were not kept stranded on roads, never at night.

The car in itself is not complex, but somehow I could not set my belief on this car despite spending a lot. Its engine was remade and everything was restored. However, I must admit that the car never failed to start, except for battery failure. It churned out healthy power and a great sound and acceptable FE, hence, I can say that the engine was great.

Good luck for your restoration. Pay attention to the underbelly of the car.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd May 2013 at 16:41.
Old 30th May 2013, 10:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Good luck for your restoration. Pay attention to the underbelly of the car.

Regards,
Saket
hey saket!
Thanks for your valuable inputs. i have taken note of everything mentioned and will be looking at the ignition and charging system closely. I hope there is no weak link when the entire restoration is completed
Thanks again!

Last edited by Eddy : 9th June 2013 at 01:41. Reason: Please do not quote a long post. It hampers readability for our small screen users. Thanks
HimuraKenshin is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 10:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
hey saket!
Thanks for your valuable inputs. i have taken note of everything mentioned and will be looking at the ignition and charging system closely. I hope there is no weak link when the entire restoration is completed
Thanks again!
Wish you luck in your adventure. Will surely be a head-turner in contemporary times. Any particular shade chosen?
Old 30th May 2013, 13:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Wish you luck in your adventure. Will surely be a head-turner in contemporary times. Any particular shade chosen?
Im still a little confused, but i was thinking of "mica blue" by Hyundai
do you have any suggestions?
What brand of paint should i use? There are so many.. Dupont, PPG, Duco
I wanted to paint it with dupont, but my painter suggests PPG. dont know why.
Dupont in India for some weird reason does not have the chroma base series, they have some other variant.
If someone could tell me exactly what type of paint and clear to use, i would be grateful.
Cheers
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:55   #15
BHPian

Tinkering progress is good. Most of the major body work has been done. The next part is repair of the chassis that has some major rust. Any advice on this?