Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 29th April 2009, 10:21   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

There is also another thread with a very similar content
Automatic Transmission
running and active. i feel they may be merged. Am unable to contact Mods hence this post.

Last edited by sgiitk : 29th April 2009 at 10:26.
Old 29th April 2009, 11:46   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Are we confusing true automatics with mechanised manual transmissions?

If it's mechanised manual (rally cars/f1 cars, cars with dsg boxes and similar) then it's in a different league altogether when it comes to performance, control and efficiency. These cannot be just grouped into autos that have torque converters (most autos here; santro,i10, maruti, civic) even if they provide a paddle behind the wheel.
I think this is a extremely valid point. When we are comparing manual vs. auto, we cannot bring paddle shifts, triptronics and DSGs as they are again variants of manual (when operated in manual mode).

In my view, these cars which can be driven either in full auto, or manual mode, offer best of both words from the driving experience perspecyive. But they can be expensive, complex and probably the long term reliability is yet to be seen.
Old 29th April 2009, 12:00   #183
BHPian

I have a automatic Honda civic from last 1.5 years and believe me the auto box i just rocking and the paddle shift is like a dream come true of actually driving a F 1 or a expensive brand. Believe me the transmission is just perfect and I love it.
Old 29th April 2009, 13:13   #184
BHPian

Auto box are really getting into market these days , but we do not have choices for less than 10lacs.
Still surprises me why Maruthi , FIATS , Ford and GM do not have any Auto option here in India.
Old 29th April 2009, 14:57   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

I hear the the WagonR has an auto box (3-speed). The i10 (earlier santro) had an auto box. None of these have a clutch lock up.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:21   #186
BHPian

The Wagon-R AX (4.25 ex show chennai) takes a long time to order/deliver and the dealers usually convince you to not go for it. The I10 Auto comes in at 5.3 Ex showroom - same issue the dealer will talk you out of it unless you are firm and ready to wait. The next automatic is the Verna at 8.65 ex showroom. The Scorpio comes in just under 10 lakhs ex showroom. All the Reva models are CVTs and range from 3.6 - 4.6 lakhs ex showroom.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:46   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a satro AT. I was lucky, they located one in the plant and I got it within a week. The Verna uses the same AT (beefed up) as the Santro/i10.
Old 29th April 2009, 21:05   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Mechanised manual transmissions like DSG are more advanced than the older autos. FE is the same as a manual. The i10, Santro, Wagon R etc have the older type. BTW what's your opinion on the auto-clutch in my previous post.
There was a thread in which a member had installed this in his car. Conclusion was that he was not very satisfied with it as there were some niggling problems with the system. It's an old post and if you search i think you might be able to find it.

Instead of losing reliability and peace of mind with such a setup i would prefer a true auto even if it means a little less on fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think this is a extremely valid point. When we are comparing manual vs. auto, we cannot bring paddle shifts, triptronics and DSGs as they are again variants of manual (when operated in manual mode).

In my view, these cars which can be driven either in full auto, or manual mode, offer best of both words from the driving experience perspecyive. But they can be expensive, complex and probably the long term reliability is yet to be seen.
Yep any auto with a clutch instead of a torque converter has to be viewed as mechanised manual. s. The bane of the auto which is the lw efficiency fluid drive is altogether eliminated in the design.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:27   #189
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I drive an Accord AT.

What I like? Its amazing ! easy to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Great pick up always the first to fly off a signal. Great fun to drive using paddle shift /sport mode. Its a true monster and you realize that a machine is always quicker than human in changing gears.

What I dont like? Its fuel efficiency. It gives me a pathetic 4.8 in btb city traffic with ac and about 8 in the highway.

Inside city driving there is nothing better than an AT gear box
Old 8th March 2010, 19:02   #190
BHPian

Hey! I have a Zen AX automatic (yes they ACTUALLY made them!). It is pretty quick for a auto gear car. Its an old fashioned 3 speed auto gear but is simple in the city. On the highways it shows its drawbacks. It does not have enough oomph, to overtake cars and once I slow down, it takes forever to get back to good speed. And it guzzles petrol as well. Best for city driving!
Old 8th March 2010, 19:13   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Been waiting for an A/T for a long long time, and since the 320d has come, it's been awesome. The anxiety of taking care of the car in b2b traffic is negated by the sheer convenience of P-R-N-D
Old 8th March 2010, 19:26   #192
Team-BHP Support

As long as one does not want to be first in the race, I guess the AT options provide the best drive capabilities. I can feel that between the i10 AT and Fusion, which I drive.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:17   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
What I dont like? Its fuel efficiency. It gives me a pathetic 4.8 in btb city traffic with ac and about 8 in the highway.

Inside city driving there is nothing better than an AT gear box
On the contrary with a Civic AT I can get 16 kmpl (highway), I feel that Honda's AT has to be mastered...

OT. This is my first post from my mobile Nokia 5230!
Old 8th March 2010, 21:22   #194
Senior - BHPian

I have managed 16KMPL on the highway as well. You need to know the gearbox very well. Especially the speeds at which the locking clutches kick in in each gear.
Old 8th March 2010, 21:36   #195
BHPian

In my ~5 months of driving an automatic (ANHC), here is my take:

a. The D mode is bit sluggish, specially when one wants to go fast off the block when compared to S mode. In S mode, press the accelerator pedal hard and you will get very good thrust from the motor.

b. The "S-with Paddle shift" mode can be the quickest of the lot depending on the correct shift points employed by the driver. It can be addictive sometimes, if you like to get off very quickly when the traffic light goes green.

However, for longer drives, D mode or S-without paddle shifts work out well if relaxed drive is what one needs.

Point to be noted: In ANHC owner's manual, it says that in S mode (w/o paddle shift), it employs only for gears 1 to 4. I am bit baffled by that, since in S mode with paddle shift, all 5 gears are available.

About my experience: I am enjoying the AT for my day to day travel to office and back in Bangalore's traffic. I enjoyed it even more in the highways (only once), given the luxury of relaxed driving without losing the fun part of crisp and quick overtake maneuvers.

My two cents...

-Pratim
Closed Thread