Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 14th October 2010, 21:38   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its like that in some new cars too. Like in my Accord from D to N or N to D you dont need to press the button on the gear knob or the brake. Just move the lever.
Same for my Nissan Tiida! No need to press 'that' button to move between N & D.

PS: My mind didnt work! Didnt think of editing my previous post & adding this comment! Mods, sorry about this.

Last edited by Abes : 14th October 2010 at 21:42.
Old 14th October 2010, 23:09   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
I had a question that i have been pondering upon for some time now. May sound stupid, but the question is quite practical (especially in Bangalore)

Now when you reach a stretch that is covered with water and if the water level is higher than the exhaust on a manual i would have the clutch depressed (may be 75%) and drive through this ensures no water gets into exhaust. Now how would you maneuver an automatic through this?

Other than taking a different route is there a possibility of overcoming this puddle

Trust me especially in Bangalore it becomes essential to know as during monsoons most of our roads have more water than Ganga, Brahmaputra and Nile put together.
Considering the kind of rains we had in NCR this year, it was but obvious to have lakes all around in Gurgaon where, even if a dog p*es, there's a puddle

Well, to be on safe side, I used paddle shifts and drove in 1st for such stretches (specially opposite Golf course - folks familiar with GGN would know what I am talking about) with one hand on hand-brake - just in case I need to stop, I don't need to lift my foot off the gas pedal and risk water entering the exhaust.

One would ask why be so paranoid? Well, I saw a Captiva stranded on one such stretch where I was able to drive through a Fiesta. On hindsight, I think it probably was an auto and driver in all probabilities eased the gas only to find himself marooned..
Old 15th October 2010, 23:20   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz
I had a question that i have been pondering upon for some time now. May sound stupid, but the question is quite practical (especially in Bangalore)

Now when you reach a stretch that is covered with water and if the water level is higher than the exhaust on a manual i would have the clutch depressed (may be 75%) and drive through this ensures no water gets into exhaust. Now how would you maneuver an automatic through this?
Some A/T have a 1 &/or 2 position which you can use to keep the revs high. Else use D and keep going... if you need to stop 'underwater', then pop it to N and revv the engine while you wait.

Last edited by Mpower : 16th October 2010 at 18:09.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:54   #259
BHPian

Thank you jigbarai, abes, AlokSriva and MPower. I have been targeting an automatic buy in the near future, and have always pondered on this question every single time i drive through a huge puddle (In Bangalore, every time it rains).
Old 17th October 2010, 22:30   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Its like that in some new cars too. Like in my Accord from D to N or N to D you dont need to press the button on the gear knob or the brake. Just move the lever.
I tried shifting from D to N and N to D with out pressing button it works in Honda City also, it just shifts between D and N and no other. Thanks Akshay. This will make it more easier and will work like breeze in traffic.
Old 17th November 2011, 09:56   #261
dot
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Automatic Transmission v/s Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Driving an automatic car doesn't come naturally to a lot of people in India. Habits from manual transmission driving often get passed over to automatic transmission driving. That means a heavy-foot driving style, trying to get acceleration by often stomping the accelerator pedal and even left foot braking in some cases. With the exception of a high-end or DSG equipped car, almost all automatics respond a lot better to light-footed drivers. Therefore, those who try to test the sheer performance of an automatic car with heavy-footed driving end up being disappointed.

A fellow reviewer employed the driving technique common to most first-time automatic drivers. It was important to check this out as a lot of future Rapid AT owners will drive the automatic in this manner, at least in the initial stages. This technique involves driving with a heavy foot, sudden acceleration, frequent braking and more. Basically, the stuff you'd do while aggressively driving a manual transmission car. He tried all of this in the "D" mode and it made for a very frustrating experience for us passengers. The engine squealed like a pig, and the car took off like a water buffalo. If that comment made you wonder, let me add that water buffalos donít run very fast.

Deliberately taking the quote from the official Skoda Rapid review and commenting here as it would probably be OT and quite a bit unnecessary in that thread.

I think the statement is mostly true but not general. In my experience Toyota ATs, specially Corollas of different gens (including the Altis) have a very responsive auto box. Even if you floor the pedal hard, the AT responds "rapidly" and car shoots ahead. Infact I found a little of the rubber band effect in my Civic. My old Altima's autobox was also decent, very little lag but it also had a 2.4L engine working for it. And these are all base level slush boxes we are talking about.
Old 17th November 2011, 10:37   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I think the statement is mostly true but not general.
Any statement that is mostly true, is certainly general. Rest are exceptions to the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
In my experience Toyota ATs, specially Corollas of different gens (including the Altis) have a very responsive auto box. Even if you floor the pedal hard, the AT responds "rapidly" and car shoots ahead. Infact I found a little of the rubber band effect in my Civic. My old Altima's autobox was also decent, very little lag but it also had a 2.4L engine working for it. And these are all base level slush boxes we are talking about.
I specifically mentioned "high-end or DSG" as exception to the rule I mentioned. I was testing a C segment AT which almost never has engine bigger than 1.6L, and most ATs bought in India are 1.6 or below. Anything higher is high-end. No point comparing 1.8L Vtec or 2.4L engines to test my light-foot theory. I did own a car with 3.2L tiptronic box for 4 years once, but I have to keep my eyes on the majority. Most AT boxes in India are 1.6L or below, my comment applies to that. I often see people stomping the A-pedal in low-end AT (1.6L or below) and pass judgement, which I feel is unfair.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 19:03   #263
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I often see people stomping the A-pedal in low-end AT (1.6L or below) and pass judgement, which I feel is unfair.
This is a real issue, agreed.
Old 17th November 2011, 22:01   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I tried shifting from D to N and N to D with out pressing button it works in Honda City also, it just shifts between D and N and no other. Thanks Akshay. This will make it more easier and will work like breeze in traffic.
Most ATs let you go N <>D without the button. True for my Zen, Santro and Civic. Actually you can also go towards D from the lower gear settings without pressing the button.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 23:56   #265
BHPian

While coming back from a recent trip from Smoky mountain ,GA. I had to downshift my automatic to 4-3-2 (sometimes) downhill due to the steep mountain terrain. I am confident of shifting to a lower gear and using the engine braking power in a manual transmission car but was not very sure in an automatic.

I felt that the automatic was behaving the same way as a manual , I’m glad I did not have to smoke (saw many on the way down) out my brake pads downhill. However I am not cent percent sure if this is a good practice to be performed on an automatic transmission and will it cause any harm to the auto transmission system ?
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:44   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
However I am not cent percent sure if this is a good practice to be performed on an automatic transmission and will it cause any harm to the auto transmission system ?
No harm caused - it is actually advised to shift to lower gears and use the brakes sparingly while descending.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:30   #267
BHPian

Is it possible to shift from normal 'D' mode to 'D with OD off' / '2' / 'L' or vice versa on the fly? Or we need to bring the car to a stop and then do the changes and drive on? Ideally such instructions must be there in the car manual but sadly there isn't any.

From D to 2 or from D to L or from 2 to L, it is required to press the lock switch but it isn't required when moving from L to 2 to D.

Swift Dzire AT Transmission pic :

Automatic Transmission v/s Manual-dsc02374.jpg
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:44   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. I do it all the time in my Santro! 95-99% of the time the OD is engaged.
Old 15th October 2012, 18:13   #269
BHPian

Regarding free wheeling, for AT's while it freewheels downhill, what would be the ideal RPM range?
If we notice that the vehicle is holding onto an RPM, then doesn't it mean that the vehicle is indeed NOT freewheeling?
Now, if this is the case, then while descending, we just brake to a slower speed so that it engages 2nd or 3rd gear, then let it roll, the AT will indeed hold onto that gear.

If this understanding is right, then, can we assume that the modes like 'S' are required only for exceedingly rare scenarios?
Now if the understanding is not correct, I am unable to decipher the behavior I saw when the AT was holding onto the gear and RPM with which it was descending.

Old 16th October 2012, 12:24   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal
Regarding free wheeling, for AT's while it freewheels downhill, what would be the ideal RPM range?
If we notice that the vehicle is holding onto an RPM, then doesn't it mean that the vehicle is indeed NOT freewheeling?
Now, if this is the case, then while descending, we just brake to a slower speed so that it engages 2nd or 3rd gear, then let it roll, the AT will indeed hold onto that gear.

If this understanding is right, then, can we assume that the modes like 'S' are required only for exceedingly rare scenarios?
Now if the understanding is not correct, I am unable to decipher the behavior I saw when the AT was holding onto the gear and RPM with which it was descending.

I am not sure which AT you saw holding onto RPM while going downhill. If the AT has a hill control or ascent and descent control (like the Scorpio does), it does indeed hold onto RPM, on the downhill in D. Brakes are not needed. The AT in an i10 would probably need brakes to be applied in the downhill, like my Santro AT does. However, I have found, even the Scorpio tends to go into a "freefall" in D if the slope is way too steep. That when you will need the S or M.
Closed Thread