Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2014, 14:52   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Automatic Transmission v/s Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Many cars do not have this protection. Well I guess its better to not try and find out
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
In fact most AT cars do. Without standing on the brake and at standstill, the AT will usually not shift into Reverse or Park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I know for a fact that the Hyundai 4-speed AT on our (Fluidic) Verna diesel slots into whatever your heart pleases and at whatever speeds, without so much as touching the brake. And I am talking about even shifting to P or R without the brake. It's a stepped gate shifter and hence comes with no button either. I shudder at the thought sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
The Honda Accord which was my previous car cannot be shifted to reverse unless at a standstill and foot on the brake This was same in all cars I've driven AFAIK.

Regarding VFM, I will not agree to the argument that manuals are VFM compared to automatics.
Almost a year back, I had mistakenly (God knows what I was thinking) moved the shifter in my i10 to P from D (It had to go from D->N->R->P) while the car was still in motion, albeit very slowly at 3-4 kmph.
That was the most nerve wrecking 3 second rattle that I had ever heard.
Luckily (touch wood) - nothing happened when I fired up the engine again and slotted it in D.
I strongly suggest no one ever try the same.
Old 12th January 2014, 19:07   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Almost a year back, I had mistakenly (God knows what I was thinking) moved the shifter in my i10 to P from D (It had to go from D->N->R->P) while the car was still in motion, albeit very slowly at 3-4 kmph.
That was the most nerve wrecking 3 second rattle that I had ever heard.
Luckily (touch wood) - nothing happened when I fired up the engine again and slotted it in D.
I strongly suggest no one ever try the same.
What you tried i did the same in US on my Mitsubishi eclipse though on high speed. (30 mph). I was trying to put in N and then lift the hand brake but did it too fast pushing it directly to P.

The resultant was after few days my transmission failed and spend whooping 2000USD for repair because the model was 2003 and the parts had to be ordered from Japan
Old 12th January 2014, 19:49   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
An interesting bit of information here, an A4 was going forward at about 70-80 kmph when the shifter was mistakenly moved to 'R'. Both driver and passenger looked at the gearshft in horror for a moment, expecting everything to explode and be blown to bits. Instead, the MID calmly threw up an error message which read "Error: Cannot shift into reverse" or something to that effect. I don't know if this safety feature is there even in less expensive cars.
Not on my 2003 santro AT for sure. Also definitely not on my '94 Corolla (US, now sold) or on my '96 Civic (US, now sold). The reason I know is because in each case the relevant workshops advised me that the sure fire way to fry the auto gear box , was to put the shift into reverse while in forward motion.

In fact wait a minute, I think doing this would fry most manual (stick shift) gear boxes too. In fact, one one occasion, I had made the mistake of slotting into reverse, and releasing the clutch while the car was still moving forward (albeit slowly) - instead of being at a complete stand-still. I immediately pushed the clutch pedal and slotted to neutral, before much damage could be done. But yes the sounds from the gear box in that brief instant, was sufficient to tell me that all was not well.
Old 12th January 2014, 20:06   #304
Senior - BHPian

Earlier I spoke like a true blue auto enthusiast and was dead against the auto boxes. Slowly, with increasing Mumbai traffic and long waiting at endless traffic jams, I pitied my left leg and took the plunge to buy a used Civic A/T.

Driving has been blissful after that. And it is not that A/Ts are slow. If I need some fun, there is always the Sports mode with paddle shifts.

I still like driving the XUV, in lighter traffic and on highways. Because the torque of the diesel engine allows me to cruise without much gear changes and allows greater control at high speeds... by control I mean engine braking of manual gearboxes (though I can do that even in the Civic A/T, I am not sure how the A/T box will handle that stress!).

Last edited by raj_5004 : 12th January 2014 at 20:07.
Old 13th January 2014, 09:54   #305
BHPian

I just started using a Honda City (05) AT as a stop gap arrangement.
I should admit that it was hard to adopt to the AT immediately and I slammed the breaks hard multiple times assuming it to be the clutch , thankfully all the times there was no traffic behind else Iam 100% sure someone would have have banged into the boot pretty hard and would have caused some serious damage to both sides for no mistake of theirs.
After driving the car for about 3 days now Iam used to the AT now and I constantly keep watching the RPM meter to see how the AT is holding on to the rev.I see it hovers between 1300 to 1500 at 60kmph which I felt is pretty good.I would be sharing my experience and will put up all my observations in a few weeks after getting a good hands on with this car.
For now my dear cousin is in the US of A and this car would stay with me for a while till its actual owner returns.

cheers,
pdma.
Old 7th May 2014, 18:19   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Personally my favourite tansmission is DSG/multitronic/steptronic type transmission.

This is not true. But i have heard that in case of any problems, auto transmissions are expensive to repair.
My chevy Cruze has developed problems in transmission after 3.5 years. The cost is adding upto Rs. 95000. This is crazy since the whole TCM has to be replaced. Is this normal with auto transmissions? Is this the cost in manual cars also? I am in a fix since I cant afford this cost. What else can I do? Please help.
Old 7th May 2014, 19:14   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvtosh View Post
My chevy Cruze has developed problems in transmission after 3.5 years. The cost is adding upto Rs. 95000. This is crazy since the whole TCM has to be replaced. Is this normal with auto transmissions? Is this the cost in manual cars also? I am in a fix since I cant afford this cost. What else can I do? Please help.
ashvtosh:
What is the nature of the problems?
Old 7th May 2014, 19:36   #308

There was a problem with the gear shift. It used to touch high RPM's (unnecessary revving) before changing to the next gear. Especially between 1-2-3. This was not the case since the last 3.5 years. It was very smooth. When I sent it for diagnosis they have informed me that they have tried everything and now finally the TCM has to be replaced. My car has been with them for 5 days now. They tried re-calibrating, re-programming etc. But of no use. Can you please help me.
Old 7th May 2014, 19:58   #309
BHPian

Recently I drove my Scorpio VLX AT (4X4) from Kolkata to Kerala and back (7,000 KM).

On the highway the car cruises smoothly on 6th gear at 2,200 rpm = 100 KMPH. If you slow down to, say, 80 KMPH to get behind a trundling truck, wait for a gap to open up, and then hit the accelerator hard the gearbox drops to 4th, or even 3rd, the revs go up to 3,600, the Turbo whines, and the car zooms to 120 very fast. The gears change up without you even being aware.

The ease of driving an AT on the highway, let alone on Kolkata roads, is a lot better than a manual.

BTW, I have driven a BMW 320 petrol, with a 6 speed manual gearbox, extensively in the UK, on the "M"-roads and also on the "A" and "B" roads. It is a lot more work managing a 6 speed gearbox than it is to drive a 6-speed Auto.

If you are planning to do 750 KM per day on Indian highways, as I did on my trip to Kerala, an Auto box is far more relaxing than any manual. You just drive with one hand and one foot, relaxed in the confidence that the gears will change, and the engine will pull.

Great feeling !!
benu9714 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 20:04   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
ashvtosh:
What is the nature of the problems?
The engine suddenly started touching high rpm's before changing gears. Especially between 1-2-3. It felt that it was making a huge effort to do so. Lots of noise too. Gear changing was very hesitant. Sent it to the workshop. They calibrated and re-programmed everything (so they say) and finally reached the decision to change the TCM after 5 days of tinkering.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:10   #311
BHPian

Post Re: Automatic Transmission v/s Manual

Quote:
Is this normal with auto transmissions?
Sorry to hear this, but my Civic-AT is still great at 7 years and 1,32,000 kms.
The AT does a wonderful job on all kinds of roads like hills, city, highways, etc.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:31   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The engine suddenly started touching high rpm's before changing gears. Especially between 1-2-3. It felt that it was making a huge effort to do so. Lots of noise too. Gear changing was very hesitant. Sent it to the workshop. They calibrated and re-programmed everything (so they say) and finally reached the decision to change the TCM after 5 days of tinkering.
Has the replacement of TCM solved the problem? I always get suspiciouos when they start replacing the electronics. It is very rare for the electronics to go wrong. Its nearly always something much more simple, ie. a sensor gone faulty, a wiring fault, a connector, dirty contacts etc.

But it does happen, but they should be able to get some clear error codes from the OBD-analyzer. I dont understand why it took them 5 days. I've said it a million times on this forum, modern cars need to be hooked up to a OBD analyser, preferably a manufucaturer specific one. With the sort of problems you are experiencing, there are bound to be a bunch of error codes showing that would have been very usefull in trouble shooting. Anything else, is trial and error at best. Even with error codes sometimes it can be tricky finding wiring faults, but its the best way to do it regardless.

Now, having said that I just spend a whole morning trouble shooting the cruise control on my Mercedes that has gone wonky. I've checked every sensor, checked every wire, connector. So here also, this is one rare case where I am beginning to suspect the actual electronics.

Now, even when your trouble shooting ends up at the electronic box, I have found it still usefull to open that box and do a very thorough visual inspection. Is everything firmly inplace, sometime the soldering connections shake loose over time, easy fix. And sometimes you might actually see a certain component, literally blown. In my experience it is very rare for car mechanics to open up the electronic boxes, they will just swap for a new one and see what happens.

Dont know about here in India, but in Europe and the USA you can get just about any electronic box repaired by specialized companies. Very interesting as the repair typically costs a fraction of the new ones.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 8th May 2014 at 12:35.
Old 8th May 2014, 13:57   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Dont know about here in India, but in Europe and the USA you can get just about any electronic box repaired by specialized companies. Very interesting as the repair typically costs a fraction of the new ones.

Jeroen
I have heard good things about this company

http://www.ecutesting.com/
Old 9th May 2014, 21:18   #314
BHPian

Last week had the opportunity to drive my friends Honda city AT for 2 days. Was very nervous for half an hour and slowly got used to it,those two days were absolute bliss in manic peak rush hour.I am so smitten thinking of buying small AT car for daily drive.
Old 11th May 2014, 12:57   #315
BHPian

Question abt Parking brake usage in Automatic vs Manual.

In Automatic when we slot into "P"; that is as good as a gear, correct? I dont see the vehicle moving in "P" mode, but I do see most of the people who drive automatic regularly engaging the parking brake.

Is engaging parking brake really required in Automatic cars?
Closed Thread