Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 5th February 2009, 03:12   #106
Senior - BHPian

[quote=loving_alaap;1157352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

Most people in the automobile trade will also agree that automatic transmissions reduce engine life by a significant percentage. This is caused by the engine being run at slightly higher speeds at idling and due to wasted power during running and shifts.

well i am not sure about the reduction in engine life in Auto tranny.

In western countries also, people are happily buying 15 yrs old cars.

here also many auto tranny cars going great even after 10yrs. (including my Honda city 1.5 EXI AT)
On the contrary, it would prolong engine life as sudden jerky acceleration is avoided and most A/T's are programmed to shift up early when driven with a light foot. Also, A/T's dowshift gracefully, where is a manual it is easy to abuse the engine, gearbox to get maximum engine braking. This is the important factor that would reduce engine life with a manual gearbox.

Here in US, I can see 15 year old Toyotas and Hondas running well as a daily driver, no issues with A/T transmission even after 100-200K miles.

That said, manual is still my choice, just for the involvement factor.
Old 5th February 2009, 03:23   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Side question : Have you driven a Civic A/T? Genuine question. I've interacted with quite a few people who are all against the A/T until they take a drive. After that, it's all "I. WANT."
Not me. I have driven a Honda Accord Auto for 3 months and shifted to Accord Manual in USA where manuals are hard to come by. I am a lifelong fan of manuals. Automatics are boring. People will argue that the new age automatics are faster and shift flawlessly, but it takes most of the fun out of driving. This is my honest opinion and may differ from others.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:28   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-NewCar View Post
Chek this out from BHP Courtesy Srinath34..

Hi guys,

Had been to Adviath Hyundai on ORR along with my dad to give our Getz for service. I also wanted to check out the i20. It was pretty good from outside in that nice electric blue colour. On the first floor, the Verna variants were kept for display. I was surprised to see the new look of it(not very extensive though). Its got the new Champagne colour from the i10 and new badgings as mentioned in the previous posts. Clicked some pics with my mobile. Padon me for the poor quality.

1st pic: New chrome garnish on the front grill and the new Champagne colour.

2nd pic: Side chrome strip.

3rd pic: New stereo (IMO, not very great in build quality)

4th pic: Auto badge on the 1.5 CRDi

5th pic: Crowded badgings on the CRDi

6th pic: Interior and auto box

7th pic: Alloys on the CRDi

Hope these pics gave a basic idea of how it looks. IMO, Hyundai should have upgraded/tweaked the petrol engine to match the others in the segment.

Cheers,
Srinath
Wow.... Thanks for sharing the pics. Did you took any idea of pricing.. More information will be helpful !!

May Hyundai price is between 9-10L range and will give serious competition to Automatic Honda City and even Automatic Civics.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Side question : Have you driven a Civic A/T? Genuine question. I've interacted with quite a few people who are all against the A/T until they take a drive. After that, it's all "I. WANT."
ImmortalZ, I admit that I havent driven the Civic AT. But I wouldnt spend 1lac more on an AT, when I can get the MT and also hire a driver with the cash left over.

Quote:
Like I said, it's the price of convenience.
Sometimes the price is too high. What I was trying to say was that there were no good AT's which are less than 8L in India.

Verna AT?? Hope it has a killer pricing.

Last edited by srijit : 5th February 2009 at 13:57.
Old 5th February 2009, 19:57   #110
BHPian

There was time, when I was looking at Hyundai for AT. I waited for almost 2 years for nice small car/ sedan with AT + ABS + Airbags. Hyundai never turned up with right time, pricing. I couldn't think of i10 AT with ABS+ Airbags at 6.50 Lac INR. I baught Toyota ALTIS AT. I am happy customer now. I would suggest go for Toyota or Honda for AT, don't wait for other manufactures, they are not serious about it. Toyota/ Honda do offer best in class AT at good price.
Old 5th February 2009, 20:19   #111
Senior - BHPian

Save Rs. 70-80K by not buying an AT, and instead of driving, hire a driver. What would a driver cost per month. More importantly, how much would a decent driver cost. Without that, giving a car to a driver is a recipe for shortening the car's life.
Old 5th February 2009, 20:21   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
ImmortalZ, I admit that I havent driven the Civic AT. But I wouldnt spend 1lac more on an AT, when I can get the MT and also hire a driver with the cash left over.
Save Rs. 70-80K by not buying an AT, and instead of driving, hire a driver. What would a driver cost per month. More importantly, how much would a decent driver cost. Without that, giving a car to a driver is a recipe for shortening the car's life.
Old 5th February 2009, 21:05   #113
Senior - BHPian

This is true. Our drivers learned all their driving on our old Padmini. Needless to say, the car was a nightmare, with the usual FIAT shenanigans compounded by the issues caused by the drivers themselves.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:19   #114
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BTW, Automatics overtook Manuals in 2008 - for the first time ever - in global car sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
when I can get the MT and also hire a driver with the cash left over.
Your driver wouldn't last long . At a salary level of 6.5 - 7K, that's only 18 months of service.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:33   #115
BHPian

Well absolutely true! Instead hiring a driver, better to go for Auto.

But in a horrible traffic chaos we are facing its always better to hire a driver, no matter at what cost

So final verdict!

If you cant afford a driver, buy an Auto Tranny!

If you afford a driver, buy a manual, and go to sleep on the back seat for 2 hrs, until you reach to your place, in our overcrowded cities.
Old 6th February 2009, 10:42   #116
Senior - BHPian

[quote=kuttapan;1158460]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post

On the contrary, it would prolong engine life as sudden jerky acceleration is avoided and most A/T's are programmed to shift up early when driven with a light foot. Also, A/T's dowshift gracefully, where is a manual it is easy to abuse the engine, gearbox to get maximum engine braking. This is the important factor that would reduce engine life with a manual gearbox.

Here in US, I can see 15 year old Toyotas and Hondas running well as a daily driver, no issues with A/T transmission even after 100-200K miles.

That said, manual is still my choice, just for the involvement factor.
Agree on that @ kuttapan. That is the macro-perspective of the manufacturers who are forever trying to increase their customer base by getting non-drivers to drive and more important - buy their cars. Remember the tobacco guys did that some decades ago?

GTO points out that the sale of Automatics overtook the sale of Manuals for the first time, guess the automakers were successful in increasing their customer base.

I was looking at it from the individual's perspective and was assuming a basic profeciency in driving skills. Any machine will break down if not used properly (abused).

Involvement, joy, control, thrill, call it whatever you will but the manual box gives one a satisfaction that no auto box provides till date.

Cheers,
Old 6th February 2009, 11:11   #117
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of the deabate between the virtues of using Manual SLR cameras vs. Automatic SLRs.

There was a school of thought that argued automatic (exposure and focusing) cameras take away the control and the pleasure of photography while the others pointed out that you can now focus more on the artistic side of photography (such as composition) since it frees you up from the mechanical tasks of setting the exposure and focusing.

Today, it is difficult to get a fully manual camera. Of course, modern SLRs do have manual mode but I suspect if they are ever used by anyone other then the studios where they go by light meters.

Simmilarly, I predict that there will a day automatic cars are the order of the day, financial aspects notwithstanding.

Last edited by Guna : 6th February 2009 at 11:12.
Old 6th February 2009, 11:44   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your driver wouldn't last long . At a salary level of 6.5 - 7K, that's only 18 months of service.
drivers are cheaper elsewhere. to put things in perspective, we paid a guy 4k a month, and that was considered to be pretty good
Old 6th February 2009, 12:11   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This reminds me of the deabate between the virtues of using Manual SLR cameras vs. Automatic SLRs.

There was a school of thought that argued automatic (exposure and focusing) cameras take away the control and the pleasure of photography while the others pointed out that you can now focus more on the artistic side of photography (such as composition) since it frees you up from the mechanical tasks of setting the exposure and focusing.

Today, it is difficult to get a fully manual camera. Of course, modern SLRs do have manual mode but I suspect if they are ever used by anyone other then the studios where they go by light meters.

Simmilarly, I predict that there will a day automatic cars are the order of the day, financial aspects notwithstanding.
Exactly what I had in mind. At some point in the future, Manuals will become extinct.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:33   #120
BHPian

Yes, you can have driver with manual transmission and get dent for free.
He will use car like his bedroom/play ground as you will be working in office and he will call other drivers to sleep or play cards and enoy all music & movies.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 6th February 2009 at 12:34.
Closed Thread