Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th June 2013, 17:05   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Distilled Water : A scam running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
..I think using normal Filtered water is enough for washing the windshield, it can be R.O. or just the one processed by UV as in basic Aquaguard types..
UV rays will only help to sterilize micro-organisms and do nothing on dissolved salts and chemicals.

However, the typical water filters (ex: Aquaguard) will have more than one type of filtering (particle, sediment, carbon, etc) employed and hence the output should be a better alternative than the plain tap water (again not true on certain models "adding" minerals/salts back for drinking purposes).
GunMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 11:22   #47
Senior - BHPian

For Windscreen washer fluid - Normal tap water or RO water with a little soap solution or colin works well.

For radiators - The new gen vehicles hardly need the radiator to be topped up - Best left to the service centre guys to top it correctly with the required coolant water mixture.

And most modern maintenance free batteries need a cursory checkup once in 6 months to ensure all battery fluids and ratios are within tolerances.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 16:20   #48
BHPian

Air Conditioners condensates best distilled water source.
norhog is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 18:18   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
For radiators - The new gen vehicles hardly need the radiator to be topped up - Best left to the service centre guys to top it correctly with the required coolant water mixture.

And most modern maintenance free batteries need a cursory checkup once in 6 months to ensure all battery fluids and ratios are within tolerances.
Depends a bit what you would call new gen vehicles, but any car with a closed cooling circuit arrangement should never need topping up. If it does you have a leak somewhere, period!

I have a 1982 Mercedes W123 and a 1986 Alfa Romeo that already have a closed loop system. Never have to top them up. (Apart from the time the Alfa had a leak on the water pump).

Even very simple cars have had closed loop systems for several decades. You don't need to top up and typically the cooling temperature can be higher, or at at least well above 100oC without boiling as the system pressurizes itself as it warms up.

Don't Indian cars have closed loop systems?

Not sure about batteries in India, but I can't even remember the last car battery I installed in any of my many cars where I could actually check the fluid. They're completely sealed. It might be different here in India as temperatures tend to be on the high side , and occassional filling might be required.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 18:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Never have to top them up. ....

Don't Indian cars have closed loop systems?

Not sure about batteries in India,...and occassional filling might be required.

Jeroen
Jeroen, Indian cars do have closed loop systems. But, most manufacturers mandate change of the coolant periodically. For example in my Grande Punto, its after 2yrs/30000kms that you are required to change the coolant entirely, in addition to other fluids in the car. The coolant is a 40:60 mix.

There have been horror stories(facts) of:

1) the coolant tank being filled with entirely coolant concentrate,

2) accidentally diluting "ready to use coolant mix" and, other anecdotes, that lie in between the extremities. This is where my concern is: while I would supervise the entire "periodic servicing" process at the A$$ myself, I wouldn't want the weakest link in the chain to be "chemically distilled water"

Again, my maintenance free battery was leaking, essentially needing more than maintenance, and has vents and caps for maintenance!

The point I tried to make was: the total ignorance (or faking so) of DW dealers as to what distilled means and enthusiasts like us, buying what is far from being distilled!

But this thread has been an eye opener, and I will probably stick to RO water for normal automotive use. Lab grade D/Water would probably be an overkill. Sense prevails!
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 18:59   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
But this thread has been an eye opener, and I will probably stick to RO water for normal automotive use. Lab grade D/Water would probably be an overkill. Sense prevails!
Same for me, a lot of the information on this forum is a real eye opener. Things that I would take for granted in Europe/USA might be very different in India.

I do all the maintenance on all of my cars myself and I don't think I have ever mixed coolant myself. At least not in the last 10-15 years. I just buy ready mix, because price wise the difference is less then minimum (in the USA/Europe). And I just can't be bothered trying to figure out the correct ratio's, pouring from different bottles etc.

If I wanted to flush the radiator I would just buy a gallon of distilled water at a car part shop. Would never even think in Europe/USA of questioning whether it was proper distilled water. Would just assume it is. Never heard of cases where there was a problem.

Still, it gives a very interesting perspective on what I need to be aware of here in India. That's not to say Europe/USA don't have their share of scams running. But they usually come in a very different shape and form:

So here's an illustrative example on an interesting scam in Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_di...l_wine_scandal

So you think you are buying wine, but you are actually buying anti freeze radiator cooling liquid!

Live and learn I say!!

Be careful what you put in those radiators, or when in Europe, where that wine came from. At best/worst, put the wine in the radiator!! You'll be fine!!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 21:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

its been long since i bought this.

Use water from any RO plant. Simple and Period.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 14:53   #53
BHPian

Question Re: Distilled Water : A scam running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I dilute my Optimum No Rinse wash and shine in the same water, for Quick Detailer use, so the paint might be a gonner too, sooner or later. Will definitely shift to lab grade.
I had the same doubt actually - whether the battery water sold in petrol pumps can be used to dilute car care products. I am worried about the paint damage if this water contains any chemicals. I am not sure how to get pure distilled water locally. When I checked at a medical store, they gave me sterile water which is used for mixing with injections - that costs 115 for 500 ml!
e-katz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 15:10   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought 2 one liter bottles of distilled water last week. Both bottles, Rs. 10/- each, were of different brands, and locally made. I decided to check & compare the quality of 'distilled' water of both packages. For this, I had a TDS meter with me, which I use to fine tune my RO drinking water purifier. For those who are unaware, TDS meter is used to measure the level of Total Dissolved Solids in water. Lower the better, and the measuring unit is generally parts per million or ppm

For one brand, the TDS meter displayed a value of 83 ppm, which is not good for a distilled water bottle. However, the other bottle's sample saw the TDS level hovering around 4-6 ppm mark. More like it. I used this bottle to top up my coolant reservoir with confidence.

If anybody wants to know about the brand, I can share it on the forum, however, since it is a local produce, it won't help too many.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 15:37   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
For this, I had a TDS meter with me, which I use to fine tune my RO drinking water purifier. For those who are unaware, TDS meter is used to measure the level of Total Dissolved Solids in water. Lower the better, and the measuring unit is generally parts per million or ppm
Thats great! How much does a TDS meter cost?

For the record....the battery water I purchased does not cause itching when poured on hand.

Last edited by e-katz : 9th August 2014 at 15:43.
e-katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 15:45   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Thats great! How much does a TDS meter cost?
Peanuts if you take into consideration its utility; both for the car and for yourself. Apart from the above, I use it is mainly for determining the TDS level for drinking water at home.

It cost me around 750 bucks from ebay.in

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.in/itm/like/aquapro-...ome_appliances

PS: In no way affiliated to the product or the seller.

EDIT:

Quote:
For the record....the battery water I purchased does not cause itching when poured on hand.
The battery water is distilled water, same as above, which is also used for topping up coolant level. Hence, it should not cause any itching.

Last edited by saket77 : 9th August 2014 at 15:46.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 19:54   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I had the same doubt actually - whether the battery water sold in petrol pumps can be used to dilute car care products. I am worried about the paint damage if this water contains any chemicals. I am not sure how to get pure distilled water locally. When I checked at a medical store, they gave me sterile water which is used for mixing with injections - that costs 115 for 500 ml!
e-katz, my dear friend, during summers, I collect a lot of AC condensate from the two air-conditioners at home. I drain it out for the first few days, so all the sludge is washed off, and then start collecting it through the drain pipe. I get practically "ideal" distilled water. I collect a large 10 liter can, over the 4 months or so, which lasts me long...really loooong...ting tong !

The second rain of the season, I have heard from my grand-dad, is also pure distilled water. But he was an "angrez ke zamaane ka DBHPian" of the 1930s-80s and those days, the air wouldn't choke a mammoth or a fly. These days, the air itself is polluted beyond any foreseeable relief. Better stick to AC condensate!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 9th August 2014 at 19:58.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 04:57   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I had the same doubt actually - whether the battery water sold in petrol pumps can be used to dilute car care products. I am worried about the paint damage if this water contains any chemicals.
I am having the same doubt now. I normally get distilled water from petrol pump @ Rs 10 / L and use it to dilute ONR

Guess from now on I will stick to water from the purifier for diluting car wash products.
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 07:18   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post

I am having the same doubt now. I normally get distilled water from petrol pump @ Rs 10 / L and use it to dilute ONR

Guess from now on I will stick to water from the purifier for diluting car wash products.
Your city would have a specific location that is a point to purchase laboratory chemicals and equipments, Right?

Go to that area and ask for Distilled water, you get it in 1L, 5L,10L carbouys!

Generally the pH of the above said distilled water ranged between 6.7 to 7.5 which is in the Neutral range hence acceptable for usage on the cars surface.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:12   #60
BHPian

I had read this thread and still fell prey for the scam.

I made sure that I bought the distilled water a reputed petrol pump (BP) and used it for my Inverter battery. I had used half can and left it (around 3 months ago). In the mean time I got myself a TDS meter and today while filling the water in the battery, just out of curiosity tried the meter on it. Whereas my RO water shows 045!

Distilled Water : A scam running?-wp_20151223_001.jpg

So its just plain bore-well water.
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote