Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th May 2006, 20:41   #1
BHPian

Default Blind turns.....why?

When we take turns at night, the wheels would have turned but the car wouldn't have.....we can't see any thing on the road that we are about to turn.

with so much of technical advancement, i think if the headlights also could turn along with the tyres so that we might have view of the path we are actually driving.

I think that this would be very helpful from the safety point of view and i also believe that this is technically possible.

Experts whats your take on this?

PS : BTW is there any car in the world with this kind of feature in it?
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 21:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes...BMW has one such feature and its called 'Adaptive headlights' or sumtin ladat..The new Merc S-Class should also be having it as well and most top of the range cars like the Audi A7, Bentleys, RR's...
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 09:37   #3
BHPian

Honda used to offer a cheaper alternative to all this for the OHC. A light assembly that went into your front bumber's either sides and illuminated the portions of the road where the the headlamps wouldnt go.

I think it was linked to the indicators.
Fuelled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 10:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Long back Citroen had this and possibly they still have. Find out here.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 13:36   #5
BHPian

Nowadays many pricey cars provide this facility.

To avoid any surprise after turning, one should always turn at low speeds

BTW, two-wheelers automatically provide this luxury.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 13:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

What are Adaptive Headlights?

Adaptive Headlights automatically swivel in the direction of the road ahead, even up hills and around curves. Sensors measure the vehicle's velocity, direction and yaw. This information, combined with the movements of the steering wheel, is fed into an on-board computer. Based on this data, the system calculates the direction in which the vehicle is heading, and automatically points the headlights in that direction.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 10:00   #7
BHPian

Ok , some cars do have it....but looks like pretty advanced stuff and might be expensive.

how about simple devices which are directly coupled to the steering and they provide the lighting during the turns, just like our 2 wheelers??

any thoughts of as to why this is not being provided. .....i am sure this shouldn't be so expensive.
Old 30th May 2006, 00:41   #8
BHPian

your baleno already has an electrical control called "headlamp levelling device" or something like that, by which you can move headlights upward or downward. If you have another set of motors to move it in left-right directions as well and a control link from steering position, its done. But as long as its being treated as "luxury" feature, its going to be 10 times costlier than its production cost, or may be even more. The present device was meant to bring the focus down to road, which would otherwise target an aeroplane in the sky when light & short wheel-base cars like M800 or zen get fully loaded... so its more of basic necessity rather than a luxury. may be thats why MUL do not expect us to pay hepty amounts for this feature, unlike the spoiler which costs 7k
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 01:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak

Only two wheelers without a fixed fairing!!!! So that eliminates most sports/superbikes

I think the new VW Golf has this feature, well it has automatic headlights, that come on in the dark
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 10:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak
Nowadays many pricey cars provide this facility.

To avoid any surprise after turning, one should always turn at low speeds

Actually in a two-wheeler, if you want to turn right, you have to turn the handle bar left... i know it sounds crazy, but at any speed above 20kmph, you do something called counter-steering which basically means turning opposite. Everyone does this naturally without thinking.

If you're not able to imagine what I'm saying, think of those speedway races... look at what direction their handle-bar and direction of turn...

More info on counter steering HERE and HERE

Try it on an empty piece of road if you have a bike...
epyupc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 11:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

In Additon to that SBK's & other big track bikes also ahve fixed headlights. heck even the karizma has fixed headlights
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 13:27   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
When we take turns at night, the wheels would have turned but the car wouldn't have.....we can't see any thing on the road that we are about to turn.

with so much of technical advancement, i think if the headlights also could turn along with the tyres so that we might have view of the path we are actually driving.

I think that this would be very helpful from the safety point of view and i also believe that this is technically possible.

Experts whats your take on this?

PS : BTW is there any car in the world with this kind of feature in it?
Hey, IMO if we start expecting such technical advancements then why don't we simply ask for a feature in which we sit back and let the car drive on its own !!! I for one am from that school of thought which believes driving is fun with as lil features as possible ... a car shud be simple --- More features = more drivers = more chaos = NO FUN for genuine drivers !!

Cheers
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 20:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey, IMO if we start expecting such technical advancements then why don't we simply ask for a feature in which we sit back and let the car drive on its own !!! I for one am from that school of thought which believes driving is fun with as lil features as possible ... a car shud be simple --- More features = more drivers = more chaos = NO FUN for genuine drivers !!

Cheers
u said it bro thats one reason why i hate to see cars here in Gulf all Automatic, very Rare Manuals.
and some even need thermal sensors for night driving. lol.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 21:06   #14
BHPian

@Venkatrx: Most luxury cars give this optional feature now a days.. not a new technology at all.

But as an alternative... if you dont want to spend extra for the feature then just get 2 external fog lights or flood lights point them in left and right direction and you are all set your problem is solved. What the heck while you are at it... put one in the rear to light up the road behind you.
DaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 21:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPilot
@Venkatrx: Most luxury cars give this optional feature now a days.. not a new technology at all.

But as an alternative... if you dont want to spend extra for the feature then just get 2 external fog lights or flood lights point them in left and right direction and you are all set your problem is solved. What the heck while you are at it... put one in the rear to light up the road behind you.
DaPilot, i think that this a seriously good idea......until the manufacturer decides to introduce more safety features like these.