Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2006, 10:48   #1
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default True power of the car

when asked about power of a car we say its a 50 bhp car or 100 bhp car....but what really matters is the power to weight ratio. ie a 50 bhp car weighing 500 kgs is far more powerful than a 100 bhp car weighing 1100 kgs.

And also lets assume that a car is loaded with 4 adults (say 65 kg each) and about 20 kgs of fuel so making an additional load of 280 kgs.

Weight = Gross weight + 4 adults (say 65 kg each) + 20 kg fuel

Baleno weight = 1510 + 260 + 20 = 1790 kgs
Baleno P2W ratio = 91/1790 = 0.051 bhp/kg

others, please post similar data for other cars....

PS : What all additional weights are considered for 'gross' v/s 'kerb' weight?
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 10:55   #2
BHPian
 
Ford Rocam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-India
Posts: 880
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

I dont think so baleno weighs 1510KG pls confirm the actuals before posting. shd be around 1000KG, My OHC Weighs 975 KG (OEM)

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 29th May 2006 at 10:56.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 10:58   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: World
Posts: 115
Thanked: Once
Smile What have you loaded into your trunk ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
And also lets assume that a car is loaded with 4 adults (say 65 kg each) and about 20 kgs of fuel so making an additional load of 280 kgs.

Weight = Gross weight + 4 adults (say 65 kg each) + 20 kg fuel

Baleno weight = 1510 + 260 + 20 = 1790 kgs
Baleno weight = 1510 kg ??? I thought it was more like 975 kg or so !
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 11:00   #4
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam
I dont think so baleno weighs 1510KG pls confirm the actuals before posting. shd be around 1000KG, My OHC Weighs 975 KG (OEM)
acutally the 'kerb weight' is 975 or 985 i think for baleno. for OHC also 975 kg must be the kerb weight.
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 13:11   #5
Newbie
 
drift_or_die's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Weight = Gross weight + 4 adults (say 65 kg each) + 20 kg fuel
the gross weight given by the manufacturer is the kerb weight of the car+ 4 avg weighted adults...
drift_or_die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 13:22   #6
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift_or_die
the gross weight given by the manufacturer is the kerb weight of the car+ 4 avg weighted adults...
then in this case, we will rework the equations....

baleno weight = 1510
baleno p2w ratio = 91/1510 = 0.06 bhp/kg

we can say weight = kerb weight + 530 kgs...

Last edited by venkatrx : 29th May 2006 at 13:24.
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 14:43   #7
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,054
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

I still don't understand why you're using the 1510 kg figure for Baleno.

Baleno = 985 kgs (checked the MUL website)

4 adults of 65 kgs each = 260 kgs

Fuel = 20 kgs

Total weight = 1265

Power to weight = 71.9 bhp/ton or 0.719 bhp/kg

Last edited by Boom Shiva : 29th May 2006 at 14:49.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 14:46   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 149
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Hi Guys.....

If I remember well Baleno weighs 10 kgs lighter than OHC 1.5 i.e Baleno weighs 975 kgs and OHC weighs 985 kgs. I still remember the kind of comparision and stats venkatrx is looking for was published in one of the issue of overdrive magazine maybe 2-3 years back. This was a detail report of some 20 odd cars and how they behaved from 0-100 and back to 0..... i.e the acceleration and braking capacity of various cars. The cars were rated accordingly and Baleno was in no 5 position.... It was behind the OHC Vtec and the mercs... I will confirm the exact edition of that issue once I reach home.... But this was the time when there was no corollas and optras.

Regards
sumit
sumitdongerkery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 15:33   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,700
Thanked: 89,132 Times
Default

Venkatrx,

The power-to-weight ratio is common sense, and has long been considered by petrolheads as one of the major factors affecting the performance of a car. You do NOT calculate Power-to-weight with the weight of the passengers.

Since the Balenos kerb weight is 985, the correct calculation is:

91 / 985 * 1000 = 92.38 BHP / TON. It is always read a xx BHP / TON.

Have a look at this old yet interesting test by Overdrive - linky - and see how the power to weight affected the rankings.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 16:12   #10
BHPian
 
naveendhyani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 542
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

if i m not mistaken my 2002 baleno's specs read 860 kgs. will confirm again and get back on this forum. nyways, the true power of the car is not only BHP/TON but also the touque it produces. if u follow the link posted by GTO (http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...00_0/index.htm) u will see that there are cars which have lesser power to weight ratio but have better timings.

Mercedes Benz C200 at 76 BHP/Ton was 20 BHP/Ton less than the baleno but it outperformed the baleno. so there are more things to the equation rather than only power to weight ratio.

@ sumitdongerkery: the baleno was rated 7th overall.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 16:32   #11
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Venkatrx,

The power-to-weight ratio is common sense, and has long been considered by petrolheads as one of the major factors affecting the performance of a car. You do NOT calculate Power-to-weight with the weight of the passengers.

Since the Balenos kerb weight is 985, the correct calculation is:

91 / 985 * 1000 = 92.38 BHP / TON. It is always read a xx BHP / TON.

Have a look at this old yet interesting test by Overdrive - linky - and see how the power to weight affected the rankings.

GTO
this is a good link......baleno is 95 bhp/ton and esteem is 96bhp/ton !!!
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 16:34   #12
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
if i m not mistaken my 2002 baleno's specs read 860 kgs. will confirm again and get back on this forum. nyways, the true power of the car is not only BHP/TON but also the touque it produces. if u follow the link posted by GTO (http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...00_0/index.htm) u will see that there are cars which have lesser power to weight ratio but have better timings.

Mercedes Benz C200 at 76 BHP/Ton was 20 BHP/Ton less than the baleno but it outperformed the baleno. so there are more things to the equation rather than only power to weight ratio.

@ sumitdongerkery: the baleno was rated 7th overall.
naveen, can u please explain the 'bhp' and 'torque' in layman terms may be using some indian cars as example......

also i have seen diesel cars usually have lower bhp compared to their petrol twins.
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 16:36   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
when asked about power of a car we say its a 50 bhp car or 100 bhp car....but what really matters is the power to weight ratio. ie a 50 bhp car weighing 500 kgs is far more powerful than a 100 bhp car weighing 1100 kgs.

And also lets assume that a car is loaded with 4 adults (say 65 kg each) and about 20 kgs of fuel so making an additional load of 280 kgs.

Weight = Gross weight + 4 adults (say 65 kg each) + 20 kg fuel

Baleno weight = 1510 + 260 + 20 = 1790 kgs
Baleno P2W ratio = 91/1790 = 0.051 bhp/kg

others, please post similar data for other cars....

PS : What all additional weights are considered for 'gross' v/s 'kerb' weight?
try this link

http://64.34.99.133/lists/bhpperweight.html

if you wanna see somethings like 500,1000,1500 Bhp / tonne...and they are no Dragsters or Quartermile cars..

Last edited by maxbhp : 29th May 2006 at 16:38.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 16:45   #14
BHPian
 
naveendhyani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 542
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
naveen, can u please explain the 'bhp' and 'torque' in layman terms may be using some indian cars as example......

also i have seen diesel cars usually have lower bhp compared to their petrol twins.
will try it a shot venkatrx

petrol cars have better P2W ratio whereas diesels have better torque. that is the reason why heavy tasks (trains, trucks, construction machinery etc) are done with diesel power. on the other hand the places which require instant burst of power (f1 cars) use petrol.

in simple terms petrol is 100 m runner whereas diesel is marathon runner.

also diesels have better average than the petrol counterparts. the same capacity diesel engine usually gives 1.5 times the average of the same capacity petrol engine. the compression ration of diesel is roughly 1:25 whereas that of petrol is 1:10 thereby diesel burns more efficiently turning into better average.

BHP - Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump and other auxiliaries. The actual horsepower delivered to the driving wheels is less. An engine would have to be retested to obtain a rating in another system. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_horsepower)

Torque - If a force is allowed to act through a distance, it is doing mechanical work. Similarly, if torque is allowed to act through a rotational distance, it is doing work. Power is the work per unit time. However, time and rotational distance are related by the angular speed where each revolution results in the circumference of the circle being travelled by the force that is generating the torque. This means that torque that is causing the angular speed to increase is doing work and the generated power may be calculated as:
Power=Torque X Angular speed

this might b helpful to u

http://science.howstuffworks.com/fpte4.htm

Last edited by naveendhyani : 29th May 2006 at 16:58.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2006, 17:29   #15
BHPian
 
naveendhyani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 542
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

another useful link

http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...orque_bhp1.htm
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matching HU amp power with Speaker power? hitra In-Car Entertainment 21 25th March 2015 16:18
Maruti Esteem - Non Power Steering to Power Steering udit78 Modifications & Accessories 14 4th May 2011 13:29
DIY: Testing/Measuring the true power output of your Amplifier. cvc2145 In-Car Entertainment 6 21st December 2009 05:37
subwoofer power and battery power requirement smats In-Car Entertainment 22 18th October 2006 11:51
Please suggest - power windows, power steering from one Esteem to another pramodkumar Technical Stuff 4 1st September 2006 09:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks