Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 06:57   #166
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,364
Thanked: 13,336 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Yes, shift of CG is the reason. That is understood. But with such a situation where you just get down the tarmac and rolling over is a bit too much.
In whatever I could understand, I have a couple of questions:

1) Which variant of Amaze is this?

2) Was it only two occupants in the car during the crash?

3) How was the car loaded during the journey?

4) What were the tyre pressure maintained and how is the thread life?

Since the car was 60 kmph, it got down the tarmac at that speed and if I'm not wrong your brother's friend would have given a right turn yank to the steering (natural instinct) to regain control of the car.
Now here when the car entered the undulation the GC did shift to left side of the car but with the steering input to right the GC did get disturbed unsettling the car and making it left side heavy. Hence i feel the car toppled.

60kmph on a flat road may not feel fast but in such unruly situations, yes it makes hell a lot of difference.

If you can try and get some pictures it would be great.

1) What is Honda' s comments on this?

2) What is the condition of the car and next step with it?

Hope both the passengers recover soon and get back to regular routine. Take care!

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th December 2014 at 07:00.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 09:59   #167
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,383
Thanked: 14,304 Times
Default Re: Evasive manoeuvres & Rollovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
It's not a risky maneuver as such, in India. :-)
It just happens quiet often in Indian roads. Haven't you got down the tarmac at anytime? It cannot be even called as a maneuver.
We have a saying in the offroading circles. Never judge an obstacle from photos or videos. This is because photos/videos can never really tell you the real story. The topography of the ground and how it affects the dynamics of a particular vehicle, has to be seen in person before passing any judgment.

Therefore, I am not sure how you are planning to reach a conclusion about this incidence.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th December 2014 at 10:00.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 12:27   #168
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 384 Times
Default Re: Evasive manoeuvres & Rollovers?

One more factor I could say lightweight vehicles with EPS are specially vulnerable.

In a panic scenario driver may apply a little more torque on steering then normal and it results in lot of steer. In hydraulic power steering there is a sort of delay and damping which in T-BHP review terms does not feel "precise" and "sporty" but it offers definitely better driving experience.

I have a petrol Amaze and the steering is far too light.

Also I had this problem in rented Toyota Corrola from Hertz in US . At around 70mPH ( approx 110 kmph) which was legally permitted speed it was difficult to
command , US highways in California these days are rough worn out cement surfaces and little bumps from road were pushing the wheel towards white line.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 01:57   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Evasive manoeuvres & Rollovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
In whatever I could understand, I have a couple of questions:

1) Which variant of Amaze is this?
2014 Diesel 1.5 VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
2) Was it only two occupants in the car during the crash?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
3) How was the car loaded during the journey?
Sparingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
4) What were the tyre pressure maintained and how is the thread life?
He said recommended tyre pressure and as it has run only 2000 kms the tread was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since the car was 60 kmph, it got down the tarmac at that speed and if I'm not wrong your brother's friend would have given a right turn yank to the steering (natural instinct) to regain control of the car.
Now here when the car entered the undulation the GC did shift to left side of the car but with the steering input to right the GC did get disturbed unsettling the car and making it left side heavy. Hence i feel the car toppled.
May be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) What is Honda' s comments on this?
Yet to get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
2) What is the condition of the car and next step with it?
Will check and post on this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We have a saying in the offroading circles. Never judge an obstacle from photos or videos. This is because photos/videos can never really tell you the real story. The topography of the ground and how it affects the dynamics of a particular vehicle, has to be seen in person before passing any judgment.

Therefore, I am not sure how you are planning to reach a conclusion about this incidence.
mmm... could be. I have not personally seen the spot. Hence cannot comment.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 02:55   #170
BHPian
 
venkyhere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: hump city
Posts: 345
Thanked: 293 Times
Default Re: Evasive manoeuvres & Rollovers?

I strongly suspect that the road was not straight and there was a sweeping right curve when this happened. (since you mention that the offender vehicle "suddenly" appeared out of nowhere from the centre median, very likely that a right turn is involved).
In which case, this must what have happened :
Attached Thumbnails
Evasive manoeuvres & Rollovers?-vehicle_rollover.png  

venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM cars, price details, & How do dealers make money? chaxy The Indian Car Scene 16 3rd May 2006 14:08
Want to own a piece of Car&Driver and Road&Track ? Revvmaster Shifting gears 10 11th September 2004 15:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks