Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2013, 00:31   #1
BHPian
 
rajni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Skoda Rapid Diesel: Cold start issues

Hello mods,

Please move or merge this thread ifI this is not in the appropriate place.

I drive a Skoda Rapid Diesel variant which is just 1+ year old.

My problem is not big, but quite disturbing at times. When I start the car in the morning I make sure to idle the engine. As I normally use my Jopasu to dust the car after switching on the engine it normally goes for 3 to 4 minutes. Also, I do nearly a minute idling before switching off the engine. For short drives and intermediate stops I try my best to have at least 15 to 30 seconds idling. Now, my problem is that I experience occasionally lack of pickup and very bad engine noise even after 2-3 minutes idling after a cold start up. The noise is too bad so that it sometimes resembles to me like a mini tractor - of course a little exaggerated, but yes it is bad. Also, the car doesn't easily respond to accelerator at this time. It happens only once in a while. And, this all vanishes normally after a few minutes drive or if I be a little hard on accelerator couple times. So, basically after the Turbo was kicked off couple times. However, I happened to notice that when this is happening if the engine is switched off and started again fast, the problem will be solved. I am not sure if this is a common issue with Diesel cars as this is my very first diesel car. I was looking for some expert's advice on the route cause. Hope my glow fuse and other stuff are good.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2013 at 16:13. Reason: Typo
rajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 00:49   #2
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

How many kms has the car done? When was the last service?
It seems to me like you need an oil + oil filter change. Make sure you get the recommended grade of engine oil.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 09:02   #3
BHPian
 
rajni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
How many kms has the car done? When was the last service?
It seems to me like you need an oil + oil filter change. Make sure you get the recommended grade of engine oil.
The car has done 22k kilometres and the last service was at 14.8k. The company recommends the service every 15k or 1 year as it is synthetic engine oil. And of course the service was done at Škoda's service station.
rajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 09:52   #4
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 838
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

I am facing the exact thing as you. My Rapid is 1.3 years old and has run 13000 kms. I got it serviced at one year in April 2013 at approx 10500 kms.

I face the issue of lack of pickup at cold starts and clattering noise. And this became more prominent when I got the tank filled from Shell. It does get very frustrating at times, and it appears the engine is dying down. Was just wondering today morning on what do I need to do. I follow all the precautions (idling of 45-60 seconds at start and before stop), no sudden acceleration and drive it with utmost care and love.

I plan to take it to the service center when I get the time. But it will be difficult for them to replicate the problem, as by the time it reaches the Service center, the engine, turbo, fuel pipe etc would have warmed up.

Last edited by hrman : 16th July 2013 at 09:53.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 09:52   #5
BHPian
 
wild child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: chennai
Posts: 170
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Hi Rajni

Check for the following.

1. Clogged air filter. - a clean one ensures a quieter engine.

2. When your engine is sounding like a tractor, see if white / black colour smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Cheers
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 10:00   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,523
Thanked: 1,022 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Rajni,

IMO it could be even soot accumulation in catalytic converter. When did you had a spirited drive ?

Try using system-d once a while and take you rapid on a 20-30 kms drive. Keep the rev on higher band during this drive. Might be you problem will vanish.

cheers
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 10:09   #7
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Check your engine oil level anyway using the dipstick. Check if the oil is contaminated as well.

If there does not seem to be a problem with the oil, I found this on the net:

Quote:
Lack of acceleration when cold; Limited RPM; Hissing noise under hood; Possible DTC's P0470-P0478:
Exhaust (back)Pressure Regulator valve/servo.
When the engine is cold--EOT less than 140 degrees--and the ambient temperature is less than 37 degrees, the PCM activates the EPR solenoid to divert oil pressure to the EPR sevro which closes the EPR valve at the turbo outlet. This causes exhaust backpressure to help the engine warm up more quickly. The PCM monitors the amount of backpressure through the Exhaust BackPressure sensor. On accel, the EPR is deactivated, but if the valve sticks, it will cause the above symptoms. You may or may not be able to duplicate the concern, since it normally only occurs on initial start-ups when the PCM activates the EPR for prove-out. If you are able to duplicate it, inspecting the position of the EPR linkage can confirm the problem (the servo linkage will be extended and the bellcrank tang will not be on its stop). To repair, replace the turbocharger pedistal.
A similar condition can occur if the EBP sensor tube plugs up with carbon, causing the PCM not to see an increase in exhaust back pressure resulting in the PCM not deactivating the EPR solenoid. Remove the tube and inspect for blockage. Clean as necessary.
Source: http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/symptom.htm
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 10:17   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,307
Thanked: 1,843 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
Now, my problem is that I experience occasionally lack of pickup and very bad engine noise even after 2-3 minutes idling after a cold start up. The noise is too bad so that it sometimes resembles to me like a mini tractor - of course a little exaggerated, but yes it is bad. Also, the car doesn't easily respond to accelerator at this time. It happens only once in a while. And, this all vanishes normally after a few minutes drive or if I be a little hard on accelerator couple times. So, basically after the Turbo was kicked off couple times. However, I happened to notice that when this is happening if the engine is switched off and started again fast, the problem will be solved. I am not sure if this is a common issue with Diesel cars as this is my very first diesel car. I was looking for some expert's advice on the route cause. Hope my glow fuse and other stuff are good.

Check this you-tube video link. Is the sound like this?


Please also check the colour of the smoke from your exhaust and the oil level on cold start (12 hours after last turning ignition off).
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 11:00   #9
BHPian
 
500ContyCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KA25
Posts: 504
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

I have also seen this problem in my Rapid. Even after idling for 3-5 minutes, engine struggles with even 1st gear. At times I had to do 1-2 kms of run-in before engine actually warms-up.

Recently I tried with 3M Diesel Fuel Additive and it did help to quite-a-bit !
Siddu recommended to use it if your car has done between 20k - 50k kms. Mine has done almost 28k, so tried it and result appears to be promising.

3M™ Diesel Fuel Tank Additive
For professional use only
  • Multifunctional additive with unique Detergent & dispersant formula for all diesel engines.
  • Helps Restore and maintain optimum fuel economy
  • Cleans fuel injectors of all diesel engines
  • Helps Reduce moisture condensation in fuel tank
  • Helps Prevent corrosion on the fuel tank & fuel lines
  • Improves acceleration
  • Helps Reduce exhaust emissions
  • Helps Reduces knock, noise, misfire, ignition delay, and crank time
  • Results in easier cold starts and better warm up
Directions For Use
  • For use as a fuel tank additive for diesel engines
  • Remove cap and seal.
  • Pour full contents into 30 to 50 litres diesel
  • Repeat usage for 2 consecutive times
  • For best results, continue using every 2000 kms
http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...Fuel-Additive/


As this is 1st time I have ever used, I want to try it one more time on next refuel to compare the results.

Not really sure on its long term effect on engine [experts can help here]

Otherwise, now cold starting is not that of an issue.


Recently someone had posted 3 Advisories by Skoda for Rapid. Not sure if these are applicable.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-system.html (Skoda Advisory - Rapid's Fuel Injection System)

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 16th July 2013 at 11:30. Reason: adding hyper-link
500ContyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 11:27   #10
BHPian
 
EagleEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 378
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Recently I tried with 3M Diesel Fuel Additive and it did help to quite-a-bit !
If that's the case it points to a clogged fuel filter. Or maybe there's something inherently wrong with the fuel filter if this is a widespread phenomenon on the Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Recently someone had posted 3 Advisories by Skoda for Rapid. Not sure if these are applicable.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-system.html (Skoda Advisory - Rapid's Fuel Injection System)
These seem to be the exact solutions for the problems.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 11:44   #11
BHPian
 
500ContyCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KA25
Posts: 504
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
If that's the case it points to a clogged fuel filter. Or maybe there's something inherently wrong with the fuel filter if this is a widespread phenomenon on the Rapid.
Another 2,500 kms, my car will be ready for 2nd service, I will check with Skoda A.S.S. then.


Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Check this you-tube video link. Is the sound like this?

Please also check the colour of the smoke from your exhaust and the oil level on cold start (12 hours after last turning ignition off).
Sound is prominent, but certainly not this much.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 16th July 2013 at 11:47.
500ContyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 22:03   #12
BHPian
 
rajni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I am facing the exact thing as you. My Rapid is 1.3 years old and has run 13000 kms. I got it serviced at one year in April 2013 at approx 10500 kms.

I plan to take it to the service center when I get the time. But it will be difficult for them to replicate the problem, as by the time it reaches the Service center, the engine, turbo, fuel pipe etc would have warmed up.
You said that right hrman. I had brought up this issue during the 7.5K Pre-checkup and 15K First Service as well. But, both the times despite me spending 15 mins explaining I wasn't able to convince the SA. My car was left in the service station for two nights (due to some other reason) and still they said they were not able to reproduce the problem. I seriously doubt if they even minded to take a look into this after I left. Well, one common thing I see with our cars is that my car also was bought in April (5), 2012. So, I suspect something is wrong with that batch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Hi Rajni

Check for the following.

1. Clogged air filter. - a clean one ensures a quieter engine.

2. When your engine is sounding like a tractor, see if white / black colour smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Cheers
Thanks Wild Child! I will check those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Rajni,

IMO it could be even soot accumulation in catalytic converter. When did you had a spirited drive ?

Try using system-d once a while and take you rapid on a 20-30 kms drive. Keep the rev on higher band during this drive. Might be you problem will vanish.

cheers
Thanks V&V! Do you know if System D has any long-term side effects? I normally go for a 50-60Km drive in the weekend and of course I come back home with a smile. Once it is warm, Rapid is like a Wild Horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Check this you-tube video link. Is the sound like this?

Please also check the colour of the smoke from your exhaust and the oil level on cold start (12 hours after last turning ignition off).
Nope - it definitely is not that bad. But, when it happens I can hear the clattering even with the Windows closed or even with a mild music playing in my Stereo. Also, in the idle position (in neutral) if I give a little throttle and leave suddenly I can feel a vibration within the cabin. This all vanishes once the engine is warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I have also seen this problem in my Rapid. Even after idling for 3-5 minutes, engine struggles with even 1st gear. At times I had to do 1-2 kms of run-in before engine actually warms-up.

Recently I tried with 3M Diesel Fuel Additive and it did help to quite-a-bit !
Siddu recommended to use it if your car has done between 20k - 50k kms. Mine has done almost 28k, so tried it and result appears to be promising.
Thanks 500ContyCruiser! If my memory is correct, your car was also bought sometime in April, 2012 like mine and hrman's. So, I seriously doubt this is a problem with this batch. Also, I am a skeptical about using System D or 3M's Fuel addictive as I am also not sure about its long term effects on the engine. This is the reason I am trying to find the root cause.

Also friends, I have been seeing this problem from the very beginning as I noted. And, persists even after the First service at 15K where oil and filter had been replaced. So, it is something else.



Just found EagleEyes latest reply (#10). Thank you friend. I will check that thread. I too feel this has to do something with the April 2012 batch.

Last edited by rajni : 16th July 2013 at 22:07. Reason: Missed EagleEye's latest reply
rajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 22:04   #13
BHPian
 
RedRapid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
The car has done 22k kilometres and the last service was at 14.8k. The company recommends the service every 15k or 1 year as it is synthetic engine oil. And of course the service was done at Škoda's service station.
Rajni,

I suggest that you take your car to the nearest A.S.S. I was told that there will be a free check-up every 7500 kms. I can say this confidently because only this Monday i got my car from her 1st service (@ 13900 kms) and the SA advised that i should get the car for a free check by th 6th month / 7500 kms from the current odo whichever is near.

As others have said, this could be a problem with clogged filter and there is no harm in taking it to the A.S.S.
RedRapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 22:45   #14
BHPian
 
500ContyCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KA25
Posts: 504
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
Thanks 500ContyCruiser! If my memory is correct, your car was also bought sometime in April, 2012 like mine and hrman's. So, I seriously doubt this is a problem with this batch. Also, I am a skeptical about using System D or 3M's Fuel addictive as I am also not sure about its long term effects on the engine. This is the reason I am trying to find the root cause.

Also friends, I have been seeing this problem from the very beginning as I noted. And, persists even after the First service at 15K where oil and filter had been replaced. So, it is something else.
My car production date : 18.07.2012 (just realized its gonna complete 1 year of manufacture in 2 days ; not purchase date though)

ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN)

Whenever I go to service center with any complaints, I get standard answer, "All issues are rectified in latest version and your car is latest"
500ContyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 23:17   #15
BHPian
 
rajni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Rapid cold start issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
My car production date : 18.07.2012 (just realized its gonna complete 1 year of manufacture in 2 days ; not purchase date though)

Whenever I go to service center with any complaints, I get standard answer, "All issues are rectified in latest version and your car is latest"
Mine was manufactured on 29th of March to be precise - or may be more aptly thats the time they fixed the VIN number onto the car - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post2743409 (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN)). Well, so your car is then the new batch and still the problem persists. Did you check the link posted by EagleEye? I need to visit the Škoda ASS shortly to double check about those articles. May be, all of us who have confirmed about this problem in this thread can catch up and go together to give some fight if needed.

As I mentioned in the first post, my problem is not so severe as some of you guys have posted. It does not happen every day; but say, twice or thrice in a week. May be, the strict idling I do for cold start (~3 min) and stop (~1 min) every day helps a bit here. But, when it happens even the idling does not help. Also, did anyone else try the Stop/Start Engine when this problem appears. It helped me many times.
rajni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Beauty, Skoda Rapid - 20,000 kms & Overheating Issues rapidrahul Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 44 17th October 2014 18:41
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid Samridh In-Car Entertainment 28 18th August 2013 00:49
Skoda Rapid Warranty Issues: ICE blamed for Power Window Failure veeru27 In-Car Entertainment 93 23rd June 2013 12:14
Karizma Cold Start Problem jazzy_2cool Motorbikes 18 19th May 2010 18:07
Cold start vs warm start, is there a difference? Shan2nu Technical Stuff 6 18th May 2010 18:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:34.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks