Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th June 2006, 13:02   #16
DRC
BHPian

Well Interesting topic.. So I thought jump in..

This is a problem with most mid segment cars. Even in my Petra I have this problem.

The passenger side window will normally roll slower than the driver side. Because, the wires running from the battery come to Driver side door for the switches and then are wired to the passenger side. Voltage being low as 12V, they casue lot of drop and hence will be working slower. Do not panic, it is normal. So do not compare left and right window speeds.

It is abnormal, if the window moves up or down with uneven speed, like faster in the bigining and slows down later. or vise-versa. then mostlikely the problem is with the weather strips and guide channels.
Solution is simple.
clean them thoroughly with water. Yes WATER.
WD40 is great, it makes the things work immediately, but it will attract dust again and later becomes like cement and water when it collects dust.

If you have decided to strip down the door panel, U can use WD40 on the motor and cables which work fine. Makes it smoother and last longer.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 07:29   #17
BHPian

Is there a way to convert the Power window to a normal one . Im sick of the power window on the Esteem now..?
bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 12:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower
U guys talkin bout the esteem.....The baleno has the same problem ....
Exactly...in the baleno,all 4 windows cannot be rolled up at the same time...they absolutely refuse to budge...have to do 1 at a time as even rolling up 2 is sluggishp.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 13:11   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ditto with my Esteems power windows, we have just given up on them. A service advisor once told me that Maruti has intentionally given low power motors to save on costs.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 13:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
A service advisor once told me that Maruti has intentionally given low power motors to save on costs.
How much could the motors possibly cost them? 2k at the maxx.Would it hurt them to charge that extra money and pass on this expense to the consumer.Why aren't they doing atleast in c-segment cars?

Even to a low power motor,more power can be supplied to make it run significantly faster.

If this was the case,how would you explain the reduction in speed from a brand new condition to what it is now?

Last edited by binz : 26th August 2006 at 13:32.
Old 26th August 2006, 13:57   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How much could the motors possibly cost them? 2k at the maxx.
When you are manufacturing 60,000 Esteems / Zens a year...multiply Rs.2,000 x 60,000. They cut costs on each rupee.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 14:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
When you are manufacturing 60,000 Esteems / Zens a year...multiply Rs.2,000 x 60,000. They cut costs on each rupee.
Agreed but they could pass this cost this cost on to the consumer...say you wanted to buy a baleno you wouldnt even notice that 2k extra.Its not as if they have to make technical changes in their manufacturing plant or anything.Simply use a better quality.

You are paying for your car,you know its value..why care about how much it costs them to produce it.
Old 26th August 2006, 15:27   #23
SLK
Senior - BHPian

... No issues with Alto Vxi... 4 years... down the line..
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 23:15   #24
BHPian

I have noticed that when I operate the passenger side power window from the driver side, it moves (more) slowly as when it is operated from the switch on the passenger door... a sure sign that too much voltage is getting dropped in the wiring (are the wires too thin? more cost cutting?) ... couple that with the de facto weak motors and the Esteem's power windows are a real pain in the neck!

I'm considering adding in a bunch of relays controlled by the switches but feeding power directly from the battery to the motors via thick cables... will post the wiring diagram if it works out.

- T u r b o C -
turbo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 01:30   #25
BHPian

I had the same problem with my second hand esteem my front driver side windows used to give up most of the time and right when I need to park my car man I had so sit in the car start the car, wait for sometime and again try it used to move one mm up each time haha well I sold off the car. the Swift motors are pretty sluggish too, I havent had issues with it yet but I am sure another year down the line I can the same problem coming..... The motors are too weak and slow, check the city's and even for that matter ikon's power windows they go up like a dream.. I am sure weak and bad motor is the culprit combined with the grime that settles on the sleeves. Make sure at every service u ask them to clean the grime and look into the power windows for slow movement thats the only option I see and roll up one window at a time...
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2006, 22:39   #26
BHPian

Anybody know whether the weak motors are Maruti's design "enhancement" or is it that way for all Suzuki s sold abroad as well?

If the "phorein" motors are better, we may be able to import them / buy them on ebay... maybe even get them cheap as scrap from places like Kuwait, where the "Suzuki Swift Sedan" (Maruti Esteem) was sold in 97 - 98 ... Kuwaiti driving style would ensure that the car got trashed long before the motors got a chance to wear down!

- T u r b o C -
turbo_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 05:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

I found the rear power windows of a used 2004 Baleno at TrueValue was opening only half-way and when I enquired about it, the salesman told me that Baleno's rear power windows will never open up fully.

Is that true or whether he bullied me ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 08:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Even our Wagon R has ultra sluggish windows. I don't think so the window motors are of good quality.

And the car has not even done 20K kms.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 18:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c
I have noticed that when I operate the passenger side power window from the driver side, it moves (more) slowly as when it is operated from the switch on the passenger door... a sure sign that too much voltage is getting dropped in the wiring (are the wires too thin? more cost cutting?) ... couple that with the de facto weak motors and the Esteem's power windows are a real pain in the neck!

I'm considering adding in a bunch of relays controlled by the switches but feeding power directly from the battery to the motors via thick cables... will post the wiring diagram if it works out.

- T u r b o C -
yup, you are right. the passenger windows when operated from the console go up a lot slower, but when you operate from the window itself, they are much faster. i have had this problem with all 3 esteems i have owned. my mechanic says it is the motor. of course cleaning the panel will help the motor to move faster, but the motor is already weak. so what do we do ???? i think the OE motor costs around 4-6k each. is it possible to fit the motor from any other car or from the after market kit ?? has anyone tried that ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 20:35   #30
BHPian

Even my uncle is also facing the same problem with his Zen VX, he just replaced the p/w switch assembly and it costed him 1200 bucks.
abhijitvp is offline   Reply With Quote