Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th August 2006, 23:01   #31
Team-BHP Support

I seem to have opened up an inherent flaw with Maruti's parts with this thread. With all Maruti owners now confirming this problem, should this thread be emailed to Maruti? If that results in Maruti attempting to stem the bad publicity its getting by providing more standardized window motors, I'd say thats mission accomplished for all Maruti owners on the Forum.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 00:52   #32

hi,

Does any one can tell me about the power windows switches ? i have esteem 1999 model, driver side glass was struck some time back, then in the service station guy gave battery supply direct to the motor, window started working. all the switches are having definite no of operation. if it exceeds then switch will not contact perfectly. I would suggest replace the switch first, if the channels are bad next item to replace.
fanteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 01:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

i had the same problem with the esteem windows. one by one all 4 have packed up atleast 2x in the last 4 years..
almost mulled switching to manual but the door mechanic saved me and fixed the windows..
lets see how they turn out now after changing the channels and opening up the car
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 08:42   #34
BHPian

My 97 model's power windows are pain as well, except for the driver side, all need the 'human touch'..

One of the windows gave up on me few months back, took it to local expert, he changed the wiring and it started working again.
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2008, 12:58   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
My 97 model's power windows are pain as well, except for the driver side, all need the 'human touch'..
I do remember my Esteem's power windows giving up within only 6 months of delivery. Maruti is definitely using sub-standard (weaker) motors.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 22:26   #36
BHPian

Have never had a problem with my Baleno windows.
Channels need to be kept clean, crud accumulation and dirty contacts in the switches are the usual suspects.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 23:07   #37
BHPian

by the way, its nice to know that my car is not the only one. It gets embarrassing sometimes, but now atleast I can confidently say that its Maruti's fault and not mine
Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 01:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_c View Post
This seems to be a design / build flaw in the I plan to try to route more current to the faulty motor via a 2 way relay and thick cables running straight from the battery. If that doesn't do the job, then, I'll get the motor rewound, with a thicker guage wire, if possible.

- T u r b o C -
@Turbo C

Were the relay fitment successful in solving our collective PW problems? If yes please post the wiring diagram.
Right now my passenger front and driver side back windows are on strike,they decide to work when they wish and after much coaxing.Im living with this prob for more than two years now.if nothin works im gonna convert to manual type.

Just a thought:
Is this a plot hatched by some brilliant business mind at Maruti.maruti spares cost lesser than other cars and are reliable,so give them poor power windows.That way your product will be known for its reliability and cheap spares but owners of higher end models(they are rich and can afford it) end up spending more regularly!
Maybe but it certainly answers the question why it hasnt been fixed till now(Esteems have been around more than ten years)
Joe-Ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 00:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Do you people ever read properly. before posting.

This is an old thread. They might have probably sold/upgraded the vehicle by now.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 19:33   #40
BHPian

I have got the MGA power windows kit ( The motor & the "kanchi- so called by the mechanics" along with the door trims and switches ) for my wagon R.
I just want to know what would be the wiring .
And is it possible that the comany might have left the couplers/wiring as in vxi.
If some one can arrange the wiring diagram it would be great.
Wiring harness can be bought from the market ??

Btw the power windows cost the company a hell lower than the "max " price being discussed here.

Last edited by k2max6 : 25th July 2009 at 19:35.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 19:51   #41
BHPian

I too have this problem, with the passenger side one. Happy to know that it is not a one-off case.

It rolls up slowly but completely when the car is being driven (and operated from the driver-side switch). Once the engine is switched off, it needs 'man power'. Even worse is the case with rear windows - they need man power to go up.

Thankfully, the driver-side auto window is doing fine.
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 13:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

k2max6 : How much did you pay for ? Is it front only ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 13:22   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002 View Post
what ur mechanic says is absolutely true even my bro's esteem limited edition is suffering with the same trauma u have to use your hands with the motor to get the glass up . and one of the rear window just got stuck .....the only thing left to do was to change all the four motors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
I wish there was a worthwhile and safe solution to the Esteem's power windows from fouling during rains.
Try using silicon spray on the glass. The windows will work well for a few months. You have to keep doing this as there is no permanent solution. In addition do what filcord has said below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Have never had a problem with my Baleno windows.
Channels need to be kept clean, crud accumulation and dirty contacts in the switches are the usual suspects.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:20   #44
BHPian

I just been through a session of fixing my esteem's power window motors - would like to post what I found

- Motors rarely get burnt, what seems to be a blown motor is usually a worn out motor brush, a set of new brushes can be bought for Rs. 50/- go to a two wheeler spares shop and ask for "activa/dio starter motor brushes" - just file them a little bit so they are of the same size as the ones on the esteem motor. They're very easy to replace.
- If you are really unlucky and have a fried motor - most friendly neighborhood motor repair guys will re-wind them for you (at least in goa they do - the small shops that re-wind mixers,fans and stuff!)
- Wiring can also be a cause of slow motors - check the wiring near the rear door hinges, it can get shorted/cut
- Most MASS and Dealers in big cities donot bother to repair power window motors - i have no clue why!
- Maruti doesn't like to sell the motors alone - they will sell them with the regulator assemble - again I have no clue on this too!

fyi: the maruti esteem power window motor + regulator sells for Rs.1800. (I almost bought one - the guys at the MGP distributor in bangalore(essar) kept me waiting for 20 mins telling me that someone's searching for the part upstairs - I got tired waiting ,so went back home and took the motor apart and it turned out to be a simple thing to fix.

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 2nd January 2010 at 22:27.
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

My experiences alongside Technologist's

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
I just been through a session of fixing my esteem's power window motors - would like to post what I found

- Motors rarely get burnt, what seems to be a blown motor is usually a worn out motor brush, a set of new brushes can be bought for Rs. 50/- go -They're very easy to replace - brushes can be "jugaadofied"
- If you are really unlucky and have a fried motor - most friendly neighborhood motor repair guys will re-wind them for you (at least in goa they do - the small shops that re-wind mixers,fans and stuff!) - I had Mitsubishi Power windows(a separate unit fixed to the window winder lever - one motor conked off which I got rewound for Rs.300)
- Wiring can also be a cause of slow motors - check the wiring near the rear door hinges, it can get shorted/cut - have faced this once -cut wires were rectified and teh harness was fastened to door frame inside using some cable ties
- Most MASS and Dealers in big cities donot bother to repair power window motors - i have no clue why! phataphat karna hai that's why
- Maruti doesn't like to sell the motors alone - they will sell them with the regulator assemble - again I have no clue on this too! it comes as an assembly

fyi: the maruti esteem power window motor + regulator sells for Rs.1800. (I almost bought one - the guys at the MGP distributor in bangalore(essar) kept me waiting for 20 mins telling me that someone's searching for the part upstairs - I got tired waiting ,so went back home and took the motor apart and it turned out to be a simple thing to fix.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote