Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th July 2013, 23:48   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Horrible BMW 520d ownership experience. Many issues, including brake failure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharat Acharya View Post
This was the reply from BMW Director After Sales (India)
"Replacement or refund cannot be considered since the car is 6 months old, registered........"

What does this mean? if you hadn't driven more than 1K kms and not registered the car, would BMW India have accepted the car, 'clocked' it and sold it to another unsuspecting buyer? Were you one such buyer?

Providing a loaner car is not a huge favour. Even if an Alto has to stay at the workshop for more than 5 days, the owner has the right to demand a loaner car.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 01:09   #62
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Horrible BMW 520d ownership experience. Many issues, including brake failure!

Some points which can be argued against BMW India :

Technically speaking when your car started developing problems it was just 3 weeks old. They would have taken a week or 2 to replace the complete suspension. And then the engine replacement took 50 days - so for a full 2 months the car was with BMW. You have had the car for just 4 months. How can BMW India say that the owner had the car for 6 months then?

Quote:
As per the Engine number, I enquired with BMW Service manager, and he said they have embossed the same engine number on the new one, as the old one is returned back to the company and has been dismantled.
I seriously doubt that. Why would BMW Germany take the trouble of re-stamping a new engine with an old Engine Number?? That would definitely be against their so-said rules and regulations and ILLEGAL (even as per German automobile laws). I am 100% sure that they are just bull-shitting on the new engine story. If they have indeed imported a new engine - they would be having import documents for the same. You should demand for it - its your car, your engine. You should demand to show you the papers. You should also write to BMW Germany asking them to give in writing that they have indeed dispatched you a brand new engine with the old engine number.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 10:01   #63
BHPian

Bharat

Your car unfortunately qualifies as a 'lemon' - please read the following definition. Whilst we do not have 'lemon' laws in India, consumer courts will undoubtedly help!

"New vehicles may contain hidden mechanical flaws or defects in workmanship, caused by design flaws or by an error during the automotive factory build process. These errors can range from parts being installed incorrectly to a tool that was used to build the car not being removed or a batch of materials with structural or chemical flaws.
Consumer protection legislation typically labels vehicles as "lemons" if the same problem recurs despite multiple repair attempts (such as three times in a row over a short period, where previous attempts have not fixed the problem) or where defects have caused a new vehicle to be out of service for a prolonged period (typically thirty days or longer) for repairs.
Lemon laws*primarily serve to force manufacturers to*buy back*defective vehicles or exchange them. Depending on the jurisdiction, a process similar to*vehicle title branding*may also be used to warn subsequent purchasers of the history of a problem vehicle."

Cheers (nothing to cheer about actually!)
Bopanna

Last edited by cpbopanna : 25th July 2013 at 10:05.
cpbopanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 14:11   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Any update to the thread?

Any action from BMW or any such sorts.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2013, 15:33   #65
BHPian

Smile Re: Horrible BMW 520d ownership experience. Many issues, including brake failure!

Hello Bharat sir,

Have you recived any further updates from BMW? Or have decided on any alternate plan of action. I was one of your students in Chopra's at Bandra and absolutely loved the way you maintained the Civic (8X86) . I just came to know about the incident on your FB wall and was about to suggest you posting it in this forum itself, but eventually saw that you did it. So it really pains me the way Navnit/BMW have treated you. I hope you do get some justice soon.
the_flying_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 13:27   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
How are you so sure that the engine has been replaced? Has the Engine Number changed? If so, has the new number been incorporated in the Vehicle Registration documents? I doubt if two engines can have the same Engine No.!
The company can only replace the engine, the regn part is the headache of the owner. On the lighter side, if this were a Chevvy, you could have got a replacement engine with the same no as well, going by their TAVERA goof ups for pollution checks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Its sad to see the whole escalation mechanism failed in them.

Did you take a video or photo of the warning message on 4 point ?
Is there an escalation procedure in the first place ? Going by the owner's post, there simply isn't any. They just ask him to have patience (and keep paying the EMIs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post

If I were you I would demand my money back, I wouldn't want to take a replacement car from the same brand.
Well, he has already posted that he was given no choice but to accept his repaired car, with repaired / replaced engine, suspension, etc. I'm sure he would have done the FB posts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
This is really pathetic from a company which is said to the best amongst the 3 German biggies (Audi,Merc,BMW) in terms of service backup and satisfaction.

First the suspension, then the remotes, then the brakes and then the ENGINE?!! Seriously horrendous.
+1 to that. After reading these threads (and those with Audi), I feel reassured on being a desi brand fan (TATA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
All people involved whether the dealer or BMW will keep their best to convince to keep their junk being repaired with you and pay for hefty after-warranty bills. They sold you lemon, that's a fact.

I remember M&M replaced an XUV in the intital year of launch with a new one immediately after it recognised a major problem in a customers car. It must be available here in T-bhp for sure.
+1 to that first part. BMW did sell you a lemon. The difficult part is proving that it is a lemon and getting a replacement. This is where they will show you all the fine print about warranty, repair / replacement decision authority (BMW India Ltd) and what all is covered / not covered. In case you have the will and the money to expend for the legal costs, you must accost them with a court case.

Can you pl give details about this XUV that was replaced ? I have not come across any such replacement. All I know is that Mahindra has now come out with an XUV Ver 2 / improved version to fix the mechanical flaws in the various systems. (from t-bhp article on the improved XUV).
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 21:42   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Can you pl give details about this XUV that was replaced ? I have not come across any such replacement.
I guess it the Ssyanong Rexton problem that was reported by our MOD (.anshuman's friend) where Mahindra & Mahindra replaced the engine was replaced by them.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 21:38   #68

My fight for justice continues.

My repeated requests to replace my faulty car with a new one have fallen on deaf ears.
BMW India head, Mr Stephen Rausch told me on our telephone conversation to consider my case as an "UNLUCKY ONE" and accept what has happened with a pinch of salt. He thinks a mere extension of warranty will suffice for BMW’s negligence and poor quality standards, which not only put our lives at risk but also made us suffer agonizingly for months for my car to be repaired.

BMW’s callous attitude towards Indian customers is highlighted by my case.
No wonder BMW, which was number one in India a few years back amongst the German trinity, has now slipped to third position with JLR-Tata close on its heals.

BMW left me no choice but to escalate the matter legally and socially.

I have done both.

I have posted my case on several platforms to make all INDIANS aware of the poor BMW quality standards and even worse after sales experience.
My views have been watched (yes even on television) and shared my thousands of prospective BMW customers and I will continue to do so relentlessly until justice has been served to me by replacing my car.
I know i am speaking 100% truth and someday i will get justice.

Here are "some" of the avenues where i have publicly shared my views on this matter:

This show was aired on National television on 31st August 2013, CNBC Awaz - “Pehredar”.

Interestingly, another person had a similar problem on this show with a Maruti car, and guess what, the Company "REPLACED THE CAR IN A WEEK!!!".
Thats called customer service!
Anyways, you can see what the Jury on the show had to saw about BMW from the above picture.

Furthermore, I have shared my views on popular Auto websites in India and across India and the world.

I am glad with the overwhelming response i have received (thousands of views and hundreds of replies).

Moreover, I suggest you search "HORRIBLE BMW OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE" on google to know how widespread my experience has become.

My fight for justice will continue. there are hundreds of newspapers, magazines and channels in India which support my cause. As and when I get the time to approach them, I will. Everything spoken my me is true and i have sufficient written proof of the same as well.

Leaglly,
I have sent BMW three notices.
First from “Jaago Grahak Jaago”, the govt consumer tribunal.
Then from “Akosha”, a consumer redressal forum.
Finally from my own lawyer.

And guess what BMW didn’t reply to even one of them.

They only sent a letter to me once saying we will draft a reply soon, but it has been several weeks to that as well.

This is how BMW treats its customers.

Utterly disgusted by the company.

I must insist that i have always LOVED BMW as a driver focussed car and will continue to do so.

Hoping for justice!

A disgusted and dissapointed customer,
BHARAT ACHARYA.
Tel: 0091 9820408217.
email: bharatsir@hotmail.com
Bharat Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2013, 22:16   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharat Acharya View Post
[*]Within 1.5 months, the car remotes started acting up! All of a sudden, both remotes would completely refuse to work. At times the car would just not unlock. Even if I used the manual key to unlock it, the engine would refuse to start.
There have been several incidents of BMW's locks failing leaving occupants trapped inside. Recently a RR Ghost (basically a 7 series underneath) belonging to a celebrity in Mumbai refused to unlock leaving its occupants in a state of panic (check Mumbai Mirror)

Another one

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/15/g...cks/#continued

Last edited by Mpower : 2nd October 2013 at 19:43.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 13:02   #70

Hi guys, i am planning on a 520d or a E class. After visiting the showrooms, i am unable to reason with myself the costs of these machines and have a feeling of guilt rather than joy. Your posts and reviews help me in thinking with my mind instead on my heart. I guess I am going to stick with the Hondas and Toyotas.
anujgarg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 13:41   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujgarg1 View Post
Hi guys, i am planning on a 520d or a E class. After visiting the showrooms, i am unable to reason with myself the costs of these machines and have a feeling of guilt rather than joy. Your posts and reviews help me in thinking with my mind instead on my heart. I guess I am going to stick with the Hondas and Toyotas.
Hi,
I would suggest you have a look at the VW and Skoda's as well along with the Hondas and Toyotas.
VW and Skoda can offer almost same as BMW experience at around 60% of the price.

Last edited by nikhil_pon : 1st September 2014 at 13:42. Reason: missed a word in the sentence
nikhil_pon is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 14:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

Hi anujgarg! Having owned a 525i (e60) for 6 years I was looking at the new X5. Saw the car, test drove it.....all good! As soon as he handed me the price list I was shell shocked at how much more these cars cost now compared to when I bought the E60 6 years ago. Is it all worth it? I am not entirely convinced.

It isn't a completely hassle free ownership either. There are only small niggles but they just haven't stopped even in these 6 years. Flat tyre monitor goes mad every few mins. 6 CD changer in the glove box goes frantic when I slot the key in to start the car. The highly sensitive run flat tyres (already on my third set for a car that has run only 30,000 km)

I have a huge smile every time I drive the Beamer but at the back of my mind I cant help but feel something will go wrong and I could be stranded in some remote location on the highway. What is the real fun if we cant take these cars on a decent stretch of motorway? Its a real fine line. They still sell large numbers to date so obviously the consumer seems to be OK living with these issues.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 15:06   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i am planning on a 520d or a E class. After visiting the showrooms, i am unable to reason with myself the costs of these machines and have a feeling of guilt rather than joy. Your posts and reviews help me in thinking with my mind instead on my heart. I guess I am going to stick with the Hondas and Toyotas.
I don't think anyone can buy these German cars with brain unless the company you work for pays for these . Technically anything can go wrong in anyof the brands , my brother's new Highlander 2013 - Transmission failed in less than 6 months of ownership and Toyota dealers simply replaced it with a new one which most likely will be a reconditioned one . When we went to take delivery they had no courtesy to wash or clean the car even after such a major repair was done . On highlighting this issue they simply told that we didn't asked them for cleaning services and promptly gave quote for around over $ 100 should we need . But they do have some laws via which you can get back some fixed value based on year & ODO in case you don't want to keep that car after repairs . Getting a new car is difficult in most of the cases / countries .

http://www.camvap.ca/

if you need something in 5 or E class how can one possible justify paying 28 Lac or so to Toyota for a Camry which retails at around 20 Thousand US$ . Forgot the taxes or duties for awhile , at least the factor at which BMW or Mercedes have priced cars in India vs overseas prices is far competitive than Toyota or even Honda - just don't know a place on the planet where they have priced a Land Cruiser for over 200,000 US$ apart from India :(

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st September 2014 at 15:13.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 15:28   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Hi,
VW and Skoda can offer almost same as BMW experience at around 60% of the price.
As much experience as BMW? You mean as much headache as a BMW at 60% cost? These German cars are a joke. I'll buy one the day I decide to burn my money.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2014, 17:40   #75
Senior - BHPian

Angry Re: Horrible BMW 520d ownership experience. Many issues, including brake failure!

I am very much with the OP on this one. BMW has one of the worst service in the country when it comes to luxury cars. Not only do they overcharge with the steep service costs but also with their lethargic and careless attitude.

If you want the reason for BMWs decline , it has to be its ownership and ASC experience. The X1 we own is literally a garage queen now , we hardly take it out and can't even sell it due to its poor resale value
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote