Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 23:13   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 25
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Problem: High Idle RPM

My Ford Ikon 2005 Flair (65K odo) now has a new problem from today. On the way to work, there was a lot of stop and go traffic due to potholes, and I was on 1st/2nd gear for about 15 minutes. In the evening when I started the car at the office parking, it began to idle at 2000 RPM. I waited for 2-3 minutes, and when I engaged it in gear, the RPM dropped. Each time I pressed the clutch to engage the gear, the RPM would increase and then once in the gear, the RPM would drop. When I bring the car to a stop and put it in neutral, the RPM would again rise to 2000. Brought the car home, and went down to start it after 4 hours. This time the RPM was at 1500 and then after 5 minutes, it dropped to its usual value of 900-1000. And then suddenly it increased back to 2000 (I was turning on and off the headlights, but it seems too coincidental). I turned off the engine and came back home.

The clutch plate got replaced last year. Is it the idle air valve? Any other ideas?
burnout_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 23:47   #2
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vadodara, IN
Posts: 154
Thanked: 134 Times
Default re: Problem: High Idle RPM

This might be due to leakage in the inlet manifod system. Get this checked. Otherwise, it maybe the IAC valve.
wantarangerover is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013, 18:04   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 25
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Problem: High Idle RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
This might be due to leakage in the inlet manifod system. Get this checked. Otherwise, it maybe the IAC valve.
Took it to the Bosch Car Care in Kharadi, Pune. The guy opened up pipes/tubes of the inlet manifold and gave them a nice vacuum. According to him, after the vehicle hits 4000 RPM, it takes longer time to come down to 1000 (all at standstill). The car is ok now. The mechanics recommendation - if it happens up, he will need to open up the manifold and check the various sensors. Charged me a 100 bucks for his time. Drove back home 12 km in moderate traffic and it is behaving fine.
burnout_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 23:15   #4
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default re: Problem: High Idle RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout_boy View Post
Took it to the Bosch Car Care in Kharadi, Pune. The guy opened up pipes/tubes of the inlet manifold and gave them a nice vacuum. According to him, after the vehicle hits 4000 RPM, it takes longer time to come down to 1000 (all at standstill). The car is ok now. The mechanics recommendation - if it happens up, he will need to open up the manifold and check the various sensors. Charged me a 100 bucks for his time. Drove back home 12 km in moderate traffic and it is behaving fine.
I had this problem - They have a term for this " Rev Hanging". Ikon's do not rev hang that bad. Few things I did to fix this - Clean the power steering switch , Cleaned the Temp sensor , Replace all vacuume lines , Clean the PCV valve, also changed the TPS. I am super sure that the TPS was the faulty one as I use to have High idle and also a almost stall situation when i was downshifting.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 00:25   #5
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default re: Problem: High Idle RPM

http://www.fordstownerssa.co.za/foru...63921&start=30

I could not edit the post in time hence posting again. Read this through , expecially the last post on page 3.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:04   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 79
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: Problem: High Idle RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout_boy View Post
My Ford Ikon 2005 Flair (65K odo) now has a new problem from today. On the way to work, there was a lot of stop and go traffic due to potholes, and I was on 1st/2nd gear for about 15 minutes. In the evening when I started the car at the office parking, it began to idle at 2000 RPM. I waited for 2-3 minutes, and when I engaged it in gear, the RPM dropped. Each time I pressed the clutch to engage the gear, the RPM would increase and then once in the gear, the RPM would drop. When I bring the car to a stop and put it in neutral, the RPM would again rise to 2000.
This means, there is a vaccum leak in the throttle body or inlet manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout_boy View Post
Brought the car home, and went down to start it after 4 hours. This time the RPM was at 1500 and then after 5 minutes, it dropped to its usual value of 900-1000.
This can also happen if O2 sensor's response is slow.(its a guess, someone may want to correct me )


Possible other reasons;
1. Check if throttle cable is moving freely
2. a stuck TP sensor, you can use a multimeter to check

A simple clean and a new throttle body seal may correct the problem.
T1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 15:58   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 1,047 Times
Default Re: Problem: High Idle RPM

Is there any upper limit for the idle RPM in a car after it has run around a few kms (engine is no more cold)? I find the idle RPM of my WagonR to be +/- 1k. I know -1k is okay and use of AC also increases the RPM. But I have observed that it settles down at 1k+ (1100-1200) even with the AC off, in heavy traffic. Is it abnormal?
ashis89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 16:05   #8
CGB
BHPian
 
CGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Chennai/Neyveli
Posts: 179
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Problem: High Idle RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Is there any upper limit for the idle RPM in a car after it has run around a few kms (engine is no more cold)? I find the idle RPM of my WagonR to be +/- 1k. I know -1k is okay and use of AC also increases the RPM. But I have observed that it settles down at 1k+ (1100-1200) even with the AC off, in heavy traffic. Is it abnormal?
Mentioned idling RPM is absolutely normal. Use of AC will increase by 200-300RPM. If you still have any doubts, you can get the car to service centre and get the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor cleaned.
CGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 16:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,190
Thanked: 4,225 Times
Default Re: Problem: High Idle RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
But I have observed that it settles down at 1k+ (1100-1200) even with the AC off, in heavy traffic. Is it abnormal?
I think the idle RPM without the load of AC and other electricals should around 800 RPM (+/- 50 rpm). If more, probably the throttle body and the air filter may need cleaning.
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Stunner: High rpm on throttle input, engine not settling back to idle saket77 Motorbikes 10 2nd February 2015 12:33
Extremely High RPM at Idle after PCV Valve change abhipuru16 Technical Stuff 5 29th March 2012 11:01
High idle RPM issue. taurian2804 Technical Stuff 15 5th June 2010 20:44
rpm below idle rpm tortoise Technical Stuff 12 2nd April 2007 00:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks