Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th July 2014, 11:55   #121
BHPian

Default Re: My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress

It was part of an earlier post, but here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_00024-copy.jpg  

bikertillidie is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 22:54   #122
BHPian

27-Jul -

Undergoing a protective under body coat at 3M car care.
Attached Thumbnails
My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0079-2.jpg  

My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0078-2.jpg  

bikertillidie is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 13:34   #123
BHPian

28-Sep-14 -

Had taken Bianca out for a spin and was on my way to Saswad.

As I reached Undri, an idiot autowallah dashed his vehicle against mine causing major damage on the left.

He was busy chatting with his friends at the nearby auto-stand and was not even looking ahead while driving his vehicle when he collided against my car

Feeling utterly dejected ....
Attached Thumbnails
My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0028.jpg  

My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0029.jpg  

My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0030.jpg  

My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0031.jpg  

Last edited by bikertillidie : 28th September 2014 at 13:37. Reason: Typo
bikertillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 12:56   #124
BHPian

16-Oct -

Got the car back from Javed yesterday.

He seems to have done a reasonably good job as always.

I need to drive down to Bombay soon to source a door handle/rubber mats for the interior.

Shall post pictures over the weekend.
Old 20th October 2014, 18:38   #125
BHPian

As promised, here are the latest pics.

All the door panels were given a liberal smearing of grease and gear oil to minimise the chances of rusting.

Similar treatment is planned for the running boards later this year.
Attached Thumbnails
My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0001.jpg  

My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0002.jpg  

My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0003.jpg  

My very own Premier Padmini - Restoration in progress-dsc_0004.jpg  

bikertillidie is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 18:49   #126
BHPian

Ohh boy, sad to see the dents and thankfully it's now looking fine!

Why is the grill PAL logo missing?!
FordDodo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 19:53   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordDodo View Post
Why is the grill PAL logo missing?!
The folks at 3M had used too much force while scrubbing the grill and had knocked the PAL monogram loose.

It has now been re-instated.
Old 21st October 2014, 09:47   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Anirban - all's well that ends well I guess, take care now!

I have used the "grease" method in all my restored cars since many years to prevent rust. You will have to keep on cleaning whatever oozes out, the oozing will never stop, but it is better than getting rust. Liberal amounts of grease also go all over the place, including inside the roof sides and also on the floor under the molded carpet. I don't put grease inside the engine compartment because it will look bad and attract dust. For this area, frequent and thorough cleaning with a neutral solvent is the best solution.

One more thing which I have done is that I have provided openings in the front portions of the RH and LH rear wheel arches, welded M8*1.25 size flanged nuts in them, closed the holes with M8*1.25 sized flanged bolts and whenever I take the cars for servicing, I remove these bolts, spray a liberal quantity of oil inside the running boards through these holes and close them again. The oil falls off from the seams and effectively seals the rust prone spots.

These things can only be done during restoration otherwise even if you do it, it is of no use. These things will ensure that your restored Fiat will never rust, ever! Obviously you can't leave these things to the garage to do, you have to stand and get them done otherwise they will weld the wrong bolts in the wrong place. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 21st October 2014 at 09:49.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 12:55   #129
BHPian

Thanks sir !

I do not mind wiping off a little grease/oil from time to time.

As far as the running boards are concerned, I will implement your suggestion of welding flanged nuts and use appropriate bolts to plug the holes over the weekend.

Shall post pics once done.

It's too late to smear the edges of the roof with grease now as the roof lining has already gone in ...

Have made a mental note of the same for my next restoration project.
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:03   #130
BHPian

Query to all the experts on this forum -

The electric fuel pump installed on my car has failed yet again. This is the third fuel pump to exhibit this trait.

This happens even though the pump is located in the boot under the spare wheel.

Any thoughts ?

P.S. The mechanical fuel pump proved a saviour and after a minor re-routing of the plumbing, I was able to drive back home.
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:09   #131
Team-BHP Support

Pump should be gravity fed if i am not mistaken. Shouldn't it be under the body? ie lower to the level of the tank, but close to tank. By keeping it over the tank you are putting more load on the fuel pump.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:44   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Pump should be gravity fed if i am not mistaken. Shouldn't it be under the body? ie lower to the level of the tank, but close to tank. By keeping it over the tank you are putting more load on the fuel pump.
I am not sure whether the pump can be fed through gravity as the fuel tank outlet is at the top. Even if the fuel tank is on the verge of being empty, the pump wouldn't need to draw fuel beyond 1' - 1.25' at the maximum.

But thanks a lot for your suggestion anyway!
Old 23rd February 2015, 16:50   #133
BHPian

Are you referring to a siphon type of arrangement by any chance?

Last edited by bikertillidie : 23rd February 2015 at 16:52.
Old 23rd February 2015, 17:33   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Jaggu - hello after a long time. I have been using Ucal Facet electronic fuel pumps in all my fiat cars for more than 30 years. All the pumps are mounted in the dicky inside the spare wheel well. I have never had any issues whatsoever. I have driven Mumbai - Jaipur - New Delhi - Simla - Narkhanda - New Delhi - Agra - Indore - Nasik - Mumbai, covering more than 1000 kms in one day, only on the electronic fuel pump. On your specific query on pump location, this pump characteristics curve calls for less suction head and high delivery head, so this location is the best one.

Dear Anirban - have you assembled the Maruti van plastic fuel filter of Purolator make before the pump? Are all the fuel lines having smooth bends? The fuel lines are supposed to go round and round the spare wheel mounting bolt. There should be no kinks at all. The other reason I can think of is poor manufacturing quality. Recently I had been to Opera House to buy a couple of new pumps, none of the new ones worked when I tested them in the shop. The best bet is to take them off dismantled cars, if they worked there, they will continue to work here. Another thing to check is to fill fuel in a 10 liter can, put it snugly in the side inside the dicky, insert the suction pipe in it and drive the car. If the car runs properly, your fuel tank is dirty and the suction line is completely jammed. Fuel tank will need to be replaced. I had this problem in my LHD, it just used to stop. After a lot of experiments, I finally ran the car from Mumbai to Pune on the jerrycan and then just replaced the fuel tank, now it's fine. I had cut open the old tank, it was completely full of muck and rust, I wish I had photographs to show you. It was extremely bad. I still don't have an answer as to how my LHD ran from Kottayam to Mumbai on such a tank! I guess some questions don't have answers, this is one of those questions. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:15   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Anirban - have you assembled the Maruti van plastic fuel filter of Purolator make before the pump? Are all the fuel lines having smooth bends? The fuel lines are supposed to go round and round the spare wheel mounting bolt. There should be no kinks at all. The other reason I can think of is poor manufacturing quality. Recently I had been to Opera House to buy a couple of new pumps, none of the new ones worked when I tested them in the shop. The best bet is to take them off dismantled cars, if they worked there, they will continue to work here. Another thing to check is to fill fuel in a 10 liter can, put it snugly in the side inside the dicky, insert the suction pipe in it and drive the car. If the car runs properly, your fuel tank is dirty and the suction line is completely jammed. Fuel tank will need to be replaced. I had this problem in my LHD, it just used to stop. After a lot of experiments, I finally ran the car from Mumbai to Pune on the jerrycan and then just replaced the fuel tank, now it's fine. I had cut open the old tank, it was completely full of muck and rust, I wish I had photographs to show you. It was extremely bad. I still don't have an answer as to how my LHD ran from Kottayam to Mumbai on such a tank! I guess some questions don't have answers, this is one of those questions. .
Behram Dhabhar
Hello sir,

Yes, a Purolator filter meant for the maruti van has been fitted ahead of the pump. There are no kinks anywhere in the plumbing.

I had fitted the pump about two weeks ago and had meticulously primed the fuel lines before running the pump. The output had been fed to a 5 litre jerry can and a very healthy fuel supply was observed (it took about 6/7 minutes for the can to fill-up).

Hence, a blockage can be safely ruled out.

I suspect dubious quality checks on part of the pump manufacturer to be the culprit.

Not sure if UCAL FACET pumps are available in Pune. Will try to source one from Kalpana Motors.

Last edited by bikertillidie : 23rd February 2015 at 18:16. Reason: typo