Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th September 2013, 20:26   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bosch develops new electronic clutch

Unless it is one part of a much bigger picture (which we don't know of yet), still don't see value in it. And no great shakes as far as engineering goes.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 14:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Bosch's new eClutch AT (AMT alternative) in the Honda Brio!

Scheduled to be introduced in India by 2016, the new eClutch automatic system is an "attractive alternative" to the conventional Continuously Varying Transmission (CVT), which engages the clutch only, not the transmission.

Name:  eclutchbriocopycopy5806699x380.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  180.8 KB

Name:  eclutchpart.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  43.0 KB

Quote:
Among the technologies that could hold sway is Bosch’s eClutch. Unlike a fully automatic transmission, the eClutch automates the clutch only, not the transmission. The cable-less clutch pedal transmits an electric signal to an actuator, which decouples the clutch. In congested traffic conditions, the eClutch allows the driver in a manual transmission car to use first gear without using the clutch.
SOURCE (and more details) - AutoCar Professional

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2014 at 14:27. Reason: Excerpt
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2014, 02:35   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to understand better, we need to activate this eClutch when we need it to function and then switch it off (when we do NOT need it)?? As I understand, the vehicle will continue to have 3 pedals and this is NOT replacing anything.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 15:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
A-ha! O-ho! Clutch-by-wire.

This has to be OE, and can't be retro-fitted - unless they give the potentiometer pedal as an aftermarket attachment which would also couple to the Master Cylinder. I would be too happy to give my Safari as a test vehicle if they bring this to India.
I thought (and am hoping) that this would be mostly targeted at the retrofit market.

Why would anyone who is clear that he/she wants the convenience of an automatic shift from day one not opt for something like an AMT instead?

I see a fairly substantial market for retrofits, especially from people currently driving 'heavy clutched' diesels who are not quite looking at an autobox, but would welcome a little respite in bumper to bumper traffic.

Just like you, I would be more than happy to give in my Yeti for the retrofit if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Unless it is one part of a much bigger picture (which we don't know of yet), still don't see value in it. And no great shakes as far as engineering goes.

Regards
Sutripta
This does seem to be part of a larger picture, disconnecting the drivetrain at cruising speeds to reduce rolling resistance and improve FE, much better integration with Start Stop systems (al'a Mahindra Micro Hybrids) and of course the convenience of two pedal operation in traffic.

This video explains some of the same.

I see a lot of value in this, especially for folks not quite ready to trade in their cars, but at the same time looking for some of the convenience of an Automatic Transmission.
adisag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 19:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
... "attractive alternative" to the conventional Continuously Varying Transmission (CVT), ...
Err ... Confusing. How does CVT find mention in this context?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
... activate this eClutch when we need it to function and then switch it off (when we do NOT need it)?? ...
There is no "on/off" involved IIRC. One just presses the clutch pedal (which has a spring to give a feeling, like accelerator pedals today) to disengage clutch. Just that the (possibly electric) motor will position the clutch, instead of conventional wire or hydraulics connected to pedal. This will reduce pedal press effort, and also allow 'half-clutching'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
... targeted at the retrofit market. ...
Not the Bosch system, since it involves replacement of the conventional clutch pedal with a dummy pedal that has a potentiometer, which is not a trivial task.

There is a Korean system that has been available for more than 10 years now in India. In this system, a button is installed on knob of the gear shifter stalk. The (electric) motor unit mounts under the chassis, and directly pulls the clutch final lever with a flex cable. When one wants to shift, one presses the button and shifts gear, and releases button to engage clutch.

Comparatively, the Bosch system will disengage clutch proportionate to the clutch pedal position.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 20:26   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
I thought (and am hoping) that this would be mostly targeted at the retrofit market.
I see a fairly substantial market for retrofits, especially from people currently driving 'heavy clutched' diesels who are not quite looking at an autobox, but would welcome a little respite in bumper to bumper traffic.
Very very much doubt if it is for the retrofit market.

Quote:
This does seem to be part of a larger picture,
It is a cog in a larger machine.

Quote:
disconnecting the drivetrain at cruising speeds to reduce rolling resistance and improve FE, much better integration with Start Stop systems (al'a Mahindra Micro Hybrids) and of course the convenience of two pedal operation in traffic.
Some cars (Rover P4s, IIRC) did have freewheels. Find out why these were ultimately discarded.

Quote:
I see a lot of value in this,
As a standalone unit, I don't.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 10:11   #22
BHPian

The system looks good on paper but I can straight away imagine a situation where the lazy driver doesn't bother shifting gears appropriately and wears out the clutch very fast because of excessive slipping.

I feel that these halfway solutions create more problems than solving any.
Motard_Blr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 11:50   #23
BHPian

ACI video which shows the Honda Brio being tested with e-clutch

damager21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:45   #24
ISO
BANNED

Will be much useful for the diesel vehicle where clutch is very hard to activate
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 07:57   #25
BHPian

Any update on this ? Will Bosch release this for after market fitment in India ?

Regards!
nithi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 11:57   #26
BHPian

Is Bosch e clutch or any other auto clutch available in the market? Especially Bangalore. I have Chevy Beat in excellent condition but is MT. In Blore traffic I'm facing left leg pain, so was thinking to buy an AMT car. I came across some info on auto clutches but nothing concrete or reliable. Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks,
Sanjeev
SanjeevKalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 08:57   #27
BHPian

After reading through so many thoughts posted on this topic,

I am just a little curious to know which segment (compact car / sedan or SUV) would be best suited for e-clutch ?

( Company fitted similar to other Automatic Transmissions like AMT, AT, CVT, DCT )

My personal opinion is Compact Segment cars (Alto ~ WagonR/Celerio )
FIAT3031 is offline   Reply With Quote