Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th September 2013, 11:47   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Engine shuts off in neutral gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Was it rainy / high humidity conditions when this happened? Did you drive through water?
Negative on all counts!! It was during the monsoon, but that particular day was sunny to warm. And I did not wade through water, never in the last two years. May we know what you have in mind?!
2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 14:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
May we know what you have in mind?!
Moisture/condensation in the electricals or sensors, or a loose connection somewhere.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 15:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Get your clutch checked if it happens again. If it was a one off incident then let it be for now.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 21:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

When did you last changed the air filter!?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 11:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Moisture/condensation in the electricals or sensors, or a loose connection somewhere.
Any way to check this, without taking it to the garage?! It hasn't happened since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Get your clutch checked if it happens again. If it was a one off incident then let it be for now.
It happened in neutral! Could it really be the clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
When did you last changed the air filter!?
The trip was in second week of August. The annual service, including filter change, was done in July first week.
Old 17th September 2013, 15:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any way to check this, without taking it to the garage?! It hasn't happened since then.
Get an electrician to open & reconnect all ignition-related wiring after checking for oxide formation. Otherwise just bear in mind that this can recur.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 22:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It happened in neutral! Could it really be the clutch?
Yes, since it happened in neutral therefore, I have suggested the clutch. You see if the clutch is not engaged properly at times the ECU reads it as a engine shut down code due to fall in rpms. Hence the engine shuts off. Your one off incident could be due to a one of faulty engagement.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 14:52   #23
BHPian

Encountered the same problem once yesterday! It was in the city this time. Had to park my vehicle in the sun for nearly 7 hours (hot day). Started the vehicle -- no issues. Turned on the AC after a while, after keeping windows open till then. It was still hot inside, so AC was at max. Stopped at a signal (after 15 minutes of driving) and turned of the engine, as the timer showed 80 seconds. When I started again, perhaps I had the fan or AC still on, and the engine shut off even before I released the clutch. Some rude honking from around later, revved it a little before releasing the clutch and it was off again.

Makes me wonder if it could be the tuning. Perhaps the power at idle is not sufficient. I don't know if they played around with it during the annual service. I have decided to take it to the service guys, but hesitant as I have only stories to tell them and nothing demonstrable. What if they are just dismissive, or most likely, do some VAS testing and say it's alright?!
Old 25th September 2013, 19:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Encountered the same problem once yesterday! It was in the city this time. Had to park my vehicle in the sun for nearly 7 hours (hot day). Started the vehicle -- no issues. Turned on the AC after a while, after keeping windows open till then. It was still hot inside, so AC was at max. Stopped at a signal (after 15 minutes of driving) and turned of the engine, as the timer showed 80 seconds. When I started again, perhaps I had the fan or AC still on, and the engine shut off even before I released the clutch. Some rude honking from around later, revved it a little before releasing the clutch and it was off again.

Makes me wonder if it could be the tuning. Perhaps the power at idle is not sufficient. I don't know if they played around with it during the annual service. I have decided to take it to the service guys, but hesitant as I have only stories to tell them and nothing demonstrable. What if they are just dismissive, or most likely, do some VAS testing and say it's alright?!

Sorry if I sound repetitive, but get your clutch checked properly especially the diaphragm.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 20:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what i said initially but there are many good possibilities which have been mentioned , you need to take the car and get it looked at , there is no point in waiting on it - thats the only way you will really find out. Print out this thread and take it and discuss it with the guys there
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote