Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th September 2013, 16:32   #16
BANNED

Default Re: Engine clatter at higher revvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
Two days back i revved my Zen a little too hard. The engine started to make a clattering noise which disappeared once I eased on the accelerator. Bit it appeared again next morning on starting after I pressed the accelerator, but disappeared once the engine warmed up a bit. ....Please help me decide what to do.
This has all the indications of having lost your engine bearings. However, if the sound is not there when you red line your engine when warm there is no cause for worry. In the worst case scenario, you can still use the car without redlining it / causing the bearing sounds to appear. Losing bearings on redlining usually happens if the red lining was done when the engine was cold or if the oil level was low or the oil was old.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 17:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Definitely NOT! what oil are you using? that loses property in 6-7k kms? The clatter in DDiS is injectors/pump, no relation to oil.
Mobil Delvac Mx. Initial some 3 to 4 thousand kilometres the engine is super rev friendly as well as the NVH are controlled. After which slowly slowly as the kilometers inch forward from the 4 k km mark, things start to go southwards.

During the southward stages is when the high rpm rattle appears. Its a just 'trrrrrrrrrr' muted sound at around 3600 to 4000 rpm. Although I don't rev it this high very often, but when I do in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, I can feel it. Vanishes after the next oil change until again the 4 to 4.5 k mark is reached.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 18:22   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Mobil Delvac Mx.
==============Vanishes after the next oil change until again the 4 to 4.5 k mark is reached.
Very strange, i use the same oil and no such issues. Infact compared to the servo stuff i have seen, Delvac holds well even at 10k mark. Currently i am at 7k kms and i do rev on and off to red line. In my car, sound is more from the injector/pump and its on and off, no relation to oil change. The difference felt is always at lower to mid rpm, high rpms there is no difference felt in my case.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 19:42   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Initial some 3 to 4 thousand kilometres the engine is super rev friendly as well as the NVH are controlled.
During the southward stages is when the high rpm rattle appears. Its a just 'trrrrrrrrrr' muted sound at around 3600 to 4000 rpm. Although I don't rev it this high very often, but when I do in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, I can feel it. Vanishes after the next oil change until again the 4 to 4.5 k mark is reached.
This would be a vibration external to the engine in that there is some part vibrating within the engine bay but not internal to the engine. As there is marginal increase in friction (read vibration) at the 4k mark, the vibration of that part is felt. When the oil is new and there is lower friction the vibration is not there. Have a good mechanic check and tighten all nuts and bolts, belts and pulleys within the engine bay. The noise should disappear.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 20:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
removing the pan will tell about the main bearings and con rods. If bad main/conrod bearings are detected, will it be possible and advisable to replace them without removing the engine?
If its just the bearings, you can replace them from underneath, without opening up the engine fully. If the wear out is on the crankshaft itself, you'd have to open up the engine. But remember, bearings don't just conk off just like that. There could be some serious reasons behind it, like an imbalanced crankshaft, bend con-rods or even clogged up dirty strainer.
I wish, you don't have to go through all of these, just could be something trivial.

Edit: Mobil Delvac MX is what I've been using too. I've had absolutely no issues till date.

Last edited by jeeva : 25th September 2013 at 20:39.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 21:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Happens in my Swift D too when the oil is around 6 to 7 thousand km or some months old.
I agree here as I too have the same issue in my Ritz D. I use the same engine oil but the clatter starts post 8500 kms from the oil change. Till 8500 kms it is smooth and gives a feeling of a petrol engine underneath but post 8500 kms it definitely is a diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Definitely NOT! what oil are you using? that loses property in 6-7k kms?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 10:01   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I agree here as I too have the same issue in my Ritz D. I use the same engine oil but the clatter starts post 8500 kms from the oil change. Till 8500 kms it is smooth and gives a feeling of a petrol engine underneath but post 8500 kms it definitely is a diesel!

Anurag.
I am assuming you guys do regular service along with oil change, right? Next time just do the service without oil change and report.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 12:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
If its just the bearings, you can replace them from underneath, without opening up the engine fully. If the wear out is on the crankshaft itself, you'd have to open up the engine. But remember, bearings don't just conk off just like that. There could be some serious reasons behind it, like an imbalanced crankshaft, bend con-rods or even clogged up dirty strainer.
I wish, you don't have to go through all of these, just could be something trivial.

Edit: Mobil Delvac MX is what I've been using too. I've had absolutely no issues till date.
Thanks Jeeva. I am also hoping for the same. I redlined the engine in the 2nd gear and then it started.

Just one question- can the main bearings be replaced without removing the crank? If yes, how good/advisable is the practice?

Also, If I have to rebuild the engine, how many more kilometres can be expected from it? It has only done 68000, the expected life is 1.5 lakh.

Last edited by fighterace : 26th September 2013 at 12:58.
fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 13:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jeeva. I am also hoping for the same. My mechanic also kind of insists on getting the oil strainer checked after a certain interval or if there is any unusual noise, a little effort to save major pain.

Just one question- can the main bearings be replaced without removing the crank? If yes, how good/advisable is the practice?
If your mechanic is confident enough, it can be done. Replacing the con-rod bearings is kind of easier to manage, but not replacing the main bearings with the engine on. If you are planning to keep the car for a long time, ensure that every aspect of the lower half is checked thoroughly.
Oil starvation could have developed metal fatigue or other dimensional/geometrical variations on the internals.

Last edited by jeeva : 26th September 2013 at 13:04.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 13:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I know what you are talking about. Its your engine oil 99.99% get it changed. I think it has lost some of its properties and hence at high rpm this clatter. Happens in my Swift D too when the oil is around 6 to 7 thousand km or some months old.
Oil is 2000 kms/8 months old only.
Old 19th October 2013, 10:43   #26
BHPian

Hello everyone, greetings on Vijaya Dashami. My mechanic checked the car from a cold start and concluded that the engine is fine, but there is a vibration issue at a specific RPM range, which will be addressed soon. But as a precaution, I am changing the timing belt as well.

Now I need to know what all is required for this to be done properly. As for the belt itself, MGP is for Rs. 775, good quality aftermarket (ex-Maruti chief mechanic recommended Helicord and Fenner) is about Rs. 400 only.

The question being: is MGP worth the premium? Also, which other parts to change, and which brand to go for?