Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Do you have a valid PUC certificate for your vehicle(s)?
Yes 308 79.38%
No 80 20.62%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th January 2014, 19:54   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Poll: Do you have a valid PUC certificate?

That's very crude but then what else can one expect from a Mahindra workshop.

Here in NCR majority of the PUC work is done at fuel stations. The operator asks one to hold the RPM at different levels like idling and then @ 2000, 2500 and 3000 IIRC. They never get in to the vehicle unless the driver/owner is unable to hold the RPM and that is rare.

BTW thanks to this thread, I remembered that my Swift's PUC had lapsed and got it reissued, the driver took all of 20 minutes and 90/- bucks to get it validated for another three months.

The other rides being post 2010 registered need to be tested only once in 12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I hate the way they operator revs the engine till it is almost screaming, when they do the test.
The worst is they use a brick or something similar on the accelerator pedal and leave it for a while. All that revving cannot be good for the engine.
This is how it was done in my Scorpio.
I dont have the heart to take my Yeti to these blighted plumbers to mess with.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 19:56   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Ay, Validity 3 months for Delhi?!

I was guessing the validity was 6 months all over India!

Anurag.

Is it? Have been seeing for quite a few years in Delhi, the PUC validity here is 3 months only.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 20:34   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hate the way they operator revs the engine till it is almost screaming, when they do the test.
The worst is they use a brick or something similar on the accelerator pedal and leave it for a while. All that revving cannot be good for the engine.
This is how it was done in my Scorpio.
I dont have the heart to take my Yeti to these blighted plumbers to mess with.
I have heard of this kind of testing method for the PUC but never seen it being done in Hyderabad.

Here it is just idling for 1-2 minutes and the results are printed with the vehicle details and registration plate picture as a proof.

Revving the engine as you say is detrimental and harm causing than saving the environment moreover revving the engine that way it is polluting the environment.

I feel there must be an Standard SOP given to the pollution checking vans/centers at fuel stations all over India.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 22:16   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
That's very crude but then what else can one expect from a Mahindra workshop.

Here in NCR majority of the PUC work is done at fuel stations. The operator asks one to hold the RPM at different levels like idling and then @ 2000, 2500 and 3000 IIRC. They never get in to the vehicle unless the driver/owner is unable to hold the RPM and that is rare. .

This PUC test is done near the Indian Oil Bunk in HSR Layout in Bangalore, not the M&M workshop.

I got it done last in 2011 when I sold off my Scorpio. The experience was really crude to say the least. Exactly as described in the earlier post.

I have not yet had it done on my Yeti because I cannot condone this abusive method of checking the PUC and I would much rather pay the fines for not having a PUC than subject my vehicle to this sort of nonsense.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 23:01   #125
Senior - BHPian

As of last year PUCs for vehicles registered before & up to 31st March 2010 is 3/6 months varying from one state to other as has been in the past.

For all vehicles registered on or after April 1st 2010 the validity of the PUC is 12 months from the date of issuance of the certificate. This is standard cross the country.

Quote:
Ay, Validity 3 months for Delhi?!

I was guessing the validity was 6 months all over India!

Anurag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Is it? Have been seeing for quite a few years in Delhi, the PUC validity here is 3 months only.

Revving the engine replicates the real time driving conditions. The idea being to capture the readings as close to the state the engine would be in when in use on the road.

Quote:
Revving the engine as you say is detrimental and harm causing than saving the environment moreover revving the engine that way it is polluting the environment.

Anurag.

You could do it the way we do it here, that is revving the engine and holding the RPM ourselves per the PUC guy's request for the time it takes the equipment to capture data.

Quote:
This PUC test is done near the Indian Oil Bunk in HSR Layout in Bangalore, not the M&M workshop.

I got it done last in 2011 when I sold off my Scorpio. The experience was really crude to say the least. Exactly as described in the earlier post.

I have not yet had it done on my Yeti because I cannot condone this abusive method of checking the PUC and I would much rather pay the fines for not having a PUC than subject my vehicle to this sort of nonsense.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 22:15   #126
BHPian

Quote:
For all vehicles registered on or after April 1st 2010 the validity of the PUC is 12 months from the date of issuance of the certificate. This is standard cross the country.
Are you certain about this? I just got the PUC certificate for my 2012 registered car, here in Kerala and its validity is only for 6 months. When I asked the lady, who gave me the certificate, she said that they didn't receive any such notification from the government.

Last edited by 275BHP : 3rd February 2014 at 22:16.
275BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 23:20   #127
Senior - BHPian

Having a PUC is very much important, else you are fined Rs 1000 by traffic police in Navi Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Are you certain about this? I just got the PUC certificate for my 2012 registered car, here in Kerala and its validity is only for 6 months. When I asked the lady, who gave me the certificate, she said that they didn't receive any such notification from the government.
Got PUC renewed for my car in Navi Mumbai and here to its 6 months.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 00:07   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope you are not confused with the PUC certificate given when the car is new which is valid for 12 months (Standard), but once the age of the car crosses 12 months then on it is 6 months validity.

Quote:
Are you certain about this? I just got the PUC certificate for my 2012 registered car, here in Kerala and its validity is only for 6 months.
It is 6 months here in Hyderabad too!

Anurag.
Old 4th February 2014, 02:43   #129
BHPian

All Euro 4 vehicles can be PUC certified for 12 months.
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 03:18   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
All Euro 4 vehicles can be PUC certified for 12 months.
Asking out of curiosity and knowledge, even I show the police to update them of the law regarding the PUC if they are not updated.

Any source t support your statement so that it will help all BHPians.

Thanks,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 12:46   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Asking out of curiosity and knowledge, even I show the police to update them of the law regarding the PUC if they are not updated.

Any source t support your statement so that it will help all BHPians.

Thanks,
Anurag.
Its based on communication I had with Mahindra Service center, but somehow that post got deleted, or the app at iPad has a bug.
Anyhow I did a quick google and here's the link for your reference.
http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/conn...C.+Certificate
Check the answer for Question Number 6
Also an old article on the same subject
http://archive.dailypioneer.com/inde...ity&Itemid=542
Thanks
rohitbagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 23:19   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Anyhow I did a quick google and here's the link for your reference.
http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/conn...C.+Certificate
Check the answer for Question Number 6
Also an old article on the same subject
The link seems specific to Delhi only. Anyone knows if this rule has been implemented across the country? Would be very helpful for the numerous people who go to get pollution checked every six months.
275BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 10:48   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The link seems specific to Delhi only. Anyone knows if this rule has been implemented across the country? Would be very helpful for the numerous people who go to get pollution checked every six months.
Exactly, I have tried looking at the AP RTO website and nothing of such has been mentioned nor are the policemen informed about this BS 4 law.

Lets wait till concrete all Indian information is circulated.

Anurag.
Old 20th September 2014, 15:04   #134
BHPian

Guys are you aware of the fact that Traffic Police have no authority to demand a PUC from Vehicle Owners ? I heard this from a Taxi Driver when I was in Rajkot.

How true is this ? I could have saved lot of money years ago :P
spoth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 16:58   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Maharashtra is another such place for that matter.

I am surprised. Either you are mis-informed or the dealer is ignorant (unless the vehicle we are talking here is a pre-owned one). In fact, all new vehicles, 2 or 4 wheelers, come with a one year pollution certificate from the manufacturer itself. They don't need to obtain any other PUC until one year of purchase. Then after, every 6 months.

Regards,
Saket
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The certificate has to be signed and stamped by the dealer with proper date of sale which should coincide with the papers such as registration and invoice of the car. Without the stamp and signature, the certificate is invalid...it is just a mass printed sticker without the signature,stamp & date!
Where is the question of "signed and stamped by the dealer"? The Rules clearly state that "after the expiry of one year from the date on which the motor vehicle was first registered....". The Registration Date is clearly mentioned on the RC which should suffice IMHO.
CoolCarNi is offline   Reply With Quote