Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th June 2006, 12:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Did I Do The Right Thing?

Hey guys i have a problemsome maruti 800 1998 model run 63100 km.I had got my car serviced at 61500 km and a month back and after taking the delivery of the car i was surprised that that the brakes were better than what they were before i had given them for service.I was very happy and began to love my car even more than how much i used to before as the pedal hardly required any pressure to stop even with 4 large people onboard the car.

As the car neared about 62900 km i noticed that the pedal pressure required to stop the car had increased to such an extent that my legs started aching very badly even after a drive of 60 to 70 km.I complained about this to spectra motors(LBS Marg Ghatkopar West).They took the car in and checked it and said that the front brake pads need to be changed,the back brake liners need to be changed also had the oil filler cap needed to be changed and as the hand brake was not working the hand brake cable also he said needed to be changed. Told him to go ahead with everything.

Got a bill of 1600 bucks.The service advisor asked me to take the car for a test drive and he came along with me.To my surpise the brakes were exactly how they were before i had given it to them told the service advisor who was along with me about this and he said "Maruti 800 ke brakes aise hii lagte hai" to my horror.1600 bucks down the drain if the brakes were goin to work the same way how they were working before i gave it to them for the brake job.

Thought maybe the brakes will improve after a little use but after almost 200 km of running the car my legs still ace everyday even after little use of the car.The Pedal requires a lot of effort. The front brake pads were changed around 4500 km before and i told the service advisor about this but he said they had hardened up and need to be changed so belived him.

Called Spectra Motors just now.Spoke to the service advisor and he said that maruti 800 does not have a brake booster so this will happen and blah blah and my dad spoke very sternly to him saying that this never used to happen in 8 years that we had the car and numerous trips to bangalore,gujrat never used to make our legs pain and now 50 to 60 km trips is making our legs pain.He said maruti 800 brakes aise hii hai.Dad told him that if the maruti guys were to question him on this would he give the same answer.He had not reply for that.

Called the maruti Toll free helpline.Gave them a jist of the entire problem which very promtly the female on the helpline wrote it down and she said that she would forward it to maruti higher authorities.Did i do the right thing by complaining like this to the maruti helpline?
Althought i am not saying that 800 should have super powerful brakes but common i have been using the car for a long time and i have never expirienced such a thing.The brakes i know are not all that good at high speeds but in city traffic at 20s and 40s i have to apply so much pressure on the brake pedal to make it stop that i prefer going by bus or train rather than use my car because of the leg pains i get in the right foot due to constatly applying pressure.Guys give me any solutions on this as soon as possible or should i wait for the maruti guys to call and sort out my problem?

Last edited by Rtech : 15th June 2006 at 12:28.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 12:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Also go to the maruti site and lodge a complaint. You would get a reply followed by an engineer calling up.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 13:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

I did complain to the maruti people and after i called the toll free number they said that the mailing procedure would be a little long and that she would forward the complain as soon as possible to the company guys.Anways i will mail them too.I want this sorted out as soon as possible because rains are going to come anytime and If the brakes are so tedious without the rains i can imagine during rains with water in the drums and the brake discs wet what will happen till then the parking lot is where the car will remain
Old 15th June 2006, 13:32   #4
BHPian

Huh! its disgusting when authorised dealers behave in such a manner.
They want the slightest excuse to shed off their responsibility.
Follow up with Maruti people at least twice a day till you are not done with the matter.
Next time try sai service.
byeee!!!

az
autozealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 13:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of email ids that might be of help are :
Siddhartha.Bag@maruti.co.in
AshokKumar.Ponniah@marutico.in
One of the above is no longer with MUL - I don't remember which one - so shoot an email to both addresses.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 14:11   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I guess .. marutis have this problem....
For all my cars (3 Marutis)... whether with or without booster... the brakes fade after 3-4 years..... and even if you change every common part of the braking system... you find no diference.

My 800's brakes .. are sad... (no hope)
My WagonR's brakes... are very usable (coz of booster)... but 1/2 as good as alto.
My Alto ... not yet... 4 years old...

.. no use.. wasting money... Maruti Dealers are incapable.... (even I tried)

Try to get in touch with a maruti (company) engineer... when they have these dealer visits.. or camps.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 14:50   #7
BHPian

till ur problem gets sorted and to be on safer side keep cutting gears to be in control.

how r the liners btw?

one more thought is that there may be air in the system somewhere it would be advisable to bleed the entire fluid and refill. can be done at some garage with a tech mech dont do the job with lallu panjus.

also check to see if the liners are not being caught by turning the wheels (jack it up each wheel) check. possibility the liners getting too hot.
alternatively check to see if the liners have changed shape. can be understood when u open the drum and see the contact area of the liner which is more used up.
finally the master cylinder chaange may help.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 15th June 2006 at 14:59.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 16:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Went to another authrozied service station just now and the service engineering there admitted that the brakes were very weak and it needs to be checked as asap.Inspite of his service station being full he said he will accomodate my car right away and open it right in front of me so he can tell me right away what the problem is.He did open everything and checked the front disk diamater and it had worn out more than the service limit.He said that was the cause for the poor braking as the brake pads had to be pushed in more by the caliper for the brakes to be applied and that was the reason for the poor braking and the more pedal pressure required.
He also said that when u had complained of the weak brakes of your car to the other service station he should have checked everything and not merly replaced the brake pads and given it back to u.I am so disgusted with Spectra motors(LBS MARG GHATKOPAR) that i am going to mention all this what happened to the maruti people and see to it that they are taken to task.Being an 800 customer you are bound to be money consious and if i had lots of money i would have not brought an 800 in the first place and i am taken for a ride like this and things are changed even thought they dont need to be changed.
Cost before 2 days at spectra motors=1600 bucks(WASTE)
Cost today going to occur at ravi automobiles=1200 to 1500 bucks approx
total money gone=3000 bucks+lots stares from mom and dad

Last edited by humyum : 15th June 2006 at 16:42.
Old 15th June 2006, 17:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Went to another authrozied service station just now and the service engineering there admitted that the brakes were very weak and it needs to be checked as asap.Inspite of his service station being full he said he will accomodate my car right away and open it right in front of me so he can tell me right away what the problem is.He did open everything and checked the front disk diamater and it had worn out more than the service limit.He said that was the cause for the poor braking as the brake pads had to be pushed in more by the caliper for the brakes to be applied and that was the reason for the poor braking and the more pedal pressure required.
He also said that when u had complained of the weak brakes of your car to the other service station he should have checked everything and not merly replaced the brake pads and given it back to u.I am so disgusted with Spectra motors(LBS MARG GHATKOPAR) that i am going to mention all this what happened to the maruti people and see to it that they are taken to task.Being an 800 customer you are bound to be money consious and if i had lots of money i would have not brought an 800 in the first place and i am taken for a ride like this and things are changed even thought they dont need to be changed.
Cost before 2 days at spectra motors=1600 bucks(WASTE)
Cost today going to occur at ravi automobiles=1200 to 1500 bucks approx
total money gone=3000 bucks+lots stares from mom and dad
i just fail to understand how can your "disk diameter" wear out.??????????

pls let us know what ur agent meant by that.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 17:59   #10
BHPian

Steps for getting best car services
- Always know a humble friendly service station
- Befriend the owner or the senior mechanice there
- Keep your whole day free for the service
- Be with your car when being serviced
- If it is a critical part, get it replaced in front of you (even you could buy parts )

It works best for :
- Popular indian cars like maruti, tata, etc

*******Satisfaction garunteed***********
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 19:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
i just fail to understand how can your "disk diameter" wear out.??????????

pls let us know what ur agent meant by that.
By disc diamter i meant the steel brake disk had been worn beyond its diamter through which it can be machined.If this happens the brake capillers have to push the brake pads more inside as the disc is worn and thus leads to less braking efficiency and more pedal travel.
GUYS got the car just now from the service station(RAVI AUTOMOBILES) and i must say those guys did a good job.Changed the front brake discs on both the front wheels,changed the back drum brake adjusting screw and got a bill of 1066 rupess.They did not charge me any money of labour as i already told them my entire expirience and they were really sorry for what happened to me even though some other service station did this to me.I am really sad at the experience i faced at spectra motors(LBS marg Ghatkopar).The Ravi automobiles service advisor mr shashank checked the car when i complained to him the first time and he instantly told me that the brakes were very weak.
I am going to take this matter to the higher authorities regarding spectra motors as this is not the way anyone behaves with the customer by giving replies as "800 ka brakes aise hii hota hai".
I know every inch of the car what happens as i drive it everyday and any deterioration in the performance is noticed first by me and they should understand what the customer is trying to tell them rather than just say this is this only and we cant help.
Old 15th June 2006, 20:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By disc diamter i meant the steel brake disk had been worn beyond its diamter through which it can be machined.If this happens the brake capillers have to push the brake pads more inside as the disc is worn and thus leads to less braking efficiency and more pedal travel.
Not the disk diameter, but the thickness. The discs have to have a min thickness to work properly, when it wears out it has to be replaced. The minimum allowable thickness is etched onto the disc itslef. Whether a car or a bike.

You don't leave those guys at Spectra motors, they should be taught a lesson,Customer Care 101.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 22:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
GUYS got the car just now from the service station(RAVI AUTOMOBILES) and i must say those guys did a good job.Changed the front brake discs on both the front wheels,changed the back drum brake adjusting screw and got a bill of 1066 rupess.They did not charge me any money of labour as i already told them my entire expirience and they were really sorry for what happened to me even though some other service station did this to me.I am really sad at the experience i faced at spectra motors(LBS marg Ghatkopar).The Ravi automobiles service advisor mr shashank checked the car when i complained to him the first time and he instantly told me that the brakes were very weak.
I am going to take this matter to the higher authorities regarding spectra motors as this is not the way anyone behaves with the customer by giving replies as "800 ka brakes aise hii hota hai".
I know every inch of the car what happens as i drive it everyday and any deterioration in the performance is noticed first by me and they should understand what the customer is trying to tell them rather than just say this is this only and we cant help.
Theres been a total lapse of committment from the repairer." Hamare Desh Ka Mechanic Aisa hi hota hai " They should have first checked the thickness of the wheel discs before even thinking of replacing the front calipers. You don,t even need a Vernier Claliper to check the wear out. A step of about 2mm would have formed on the outer circumference of the disc. A good mechanic would have seen that even in his sleep. Even though you have to change the disc now, you won't have to replace the calipers again.

I suspect the same problem with your Rear Brake Drums too. I think they would have worn out beyond limits and may need replacement. You can also have them faced at a Machine shop (lathe) and use an oversize liner, if you want to avoid its replacement.

I happened to borrow my friends' 5 speed MPFI for a day. The car moves like a rocket for its size but when it comes to braking it gives you the s***s and the shivers. Seriously, MU should do something about it considering today's Stop-Go-Stop traffic.

Regarding your complaint to the Maruti Toll-free help line you did the right thing by bringing it to the notice of the seniors. Infact feed back like this would help them improve their product and Service. I am also told by Lotus Motors, Bangalore, that unlike the TATAS, Maruti Udyog welcomes such suggestions.

Further feedback of your redressal by Maruti would be appreciated by all team-bhpians. Keep us informed.

So long....
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 23:36   #14
BHPian

You have a 1998 M 800, I really dont see any point going to a Maruti authorised service station, as you no longer are under warranty.
Primary reason being that today most mechanics can fix a maruti product & dont require specialized instruments.
MGP Spares are avilable everywhere.
And most imp you dont have to pay 12.5% service tax at your local mechanic.
I Get my MPFI Zen serviced at a good roadside mechanic.
Find a Nice local mechanic you will not only get personalised service but will also save a whole lot of money & time.

Last edited by Kaizer Sozay : 15th June 2006 at 23:38.
Kaizer Sozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 00:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sankar=Sorry yeah meant the disc diameter,just could not remember the term that time.The minimum thickness of the maruti 800 discs at the front is 8 mm beyond which they have to be replaced.Yes i am going to take this matter up to the further authorities.Took me for a ride and made me hate my baby for 2 days is going to be dealt with very seriously.
Varun Roy=Checked the rear drums they were ok so did not change them as most of the braking is done by the disc up front so they generally wear out earlier than the back drums.Althought an adjusting screw in the back drums had worn out which was changed.Ya i too have driven the 5 speed mpfi and man it moves like a beast but no stopping power.Although some 5 speeds do have brake boosters but have not seen many of them.Will call the maruti helpline tomorrow again and update them on the situation as they have given me the complaint number so that they can take necessary action against spectra motors.
By the way i forgot to mention while i was at ravi automobiles in the evening while they were fixing the new brake discs i got a call from spectra motors asking me that why did i not come for the brake job to be done as my dad had called in the morning to blast them.I told them that my problem was rectified and u guys did not even have such a pea bit of knowlegde to check the brake discs were proper or no rather than just changing the brake pads and liners and giving it back to the customer saying all done and when i complained to your advisor that the brakes were still the same he gives me a stupid reply as "maruti 800 ke brakes aise hii lagte hai".Tell him to come and check out my brakes now.This is how maruti 800 ke brakes lagte hai.The lady was speechless about this and then she asked me that where did i get it done and who was the service advisor and all that.Then i spoke to mr shashank about the call and he was very helpful and told me that he will speak to that guy if he calls at ravi automobiles.
The service advisor Mr Shashank at Ravi automobiles after hearing my story instantly opened the brakes and first thing he checked was the disc thickness and there the problem was.Everything was attended to properly and he did not charge me any labour charge which was around Rs 500.
Kaizer Sozay=Dude dont trust these road side mechanics althought i used to go them before but since sometime i have realized that authorized workshop is the place to go for piece of mind as well as getting the proper diagnostic and solutions found.Although its a personal choice.

Last edited by humyum : 16th June 2006 at 00:41.