Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 22 33.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.46%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 26.15%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th June 2007, 20:59   #151
BHPian

hi,
how can we use boric powder for bikes?. adding boric powder in the engine oil will cause slip in the clutch plates as cooled by the engine oil, this is the only reason though i am tempted but not attempting to use for bikes
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 22:04   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Gurkha, the delo 400 has 3600+ detergent content compared to castrol GTX, so I think oil drain interval will be less with delo?
If I flush before filling will it help in keeping the drain interval long?
I am scared of seals going kaput because suddenly you have so much detergent flowing in!

Don't worry about seals, I have used Delo 400 in old JEEP engines as well, Arka from JEEP Thrills uses it on his Jeeps, as for Delo lasting less than GTX, let me tell you, Delo400 and Delvac are both rated to go 25000 miles on US trucks, 8000 will be peanuts for your car, just take a look at the UOAs posted at BITOG.
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2007, 22:43   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Don't worry about seals, I have used Delo 400 in old JEEP engines as well, Arka from JEEP Thrills uses it on his Jeeps, as for Delo lasting less than GTX, let me tell you, Delo400 and Delvac are both rated to go 25000 miles on US trucks, 8000 will be peanuts for your car, just take a look at the UOAs posted at BITOG.
You mean the mineral one? Delvac MX? I would love to have a oil which does 15000kms in my car . I will get flushing done and then do a oil change at around 83000kms
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 00:29   #154
BHPian

Hi vijaycool,

You are right in your observation but if you can try just 8 gm pure powder well blended in your normal oil of say 60 ml then I dont think there will be problem.....there is a trade off between using more amount of such dry lubricant and minimum beneficial one....I tested this with many many bikes with this amount....

Enjoy...
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 16:50   #155
BHPian

@finetuning: have you noted any slip in the motorcycle? i mean in the long run. i am planning to take my bike from chennai to bangalore. lots of high speed driving. will this affect my cylinder/piston coz of adding boric powder (i mean any blockage in the oil path)
Old 15th June 2007, 20:15   #156
BHPian

Hi vijaycool,

Sorry for late reply....actually I tried more in cars then in bikes but I used only little amount of just 7 to 8 gms and found no adverse effect.....infact engine runs smoother & there is increase in power too.....also there is increase in FE in bikes using this....

Enjoy...
Old 16th June 2007, 10:02   #157
BHPian

Default boric acid...

sorry for the late and in frequent updates..
in last 7000 +kms i changed oil filters every 2 000kms .
my engine was on the verge of overhauling... the third connecting is so worn out it used to make banging noises till the oil pressure builds every morning.....
then i added boric powder..............
the noise is gone ..........
not evedient for last 7562 kms........................
thanks a lottt...........
now the car engine runs bit cooler, so fan runs late and for lesser time ,,saving electrical and thermal loads ... saves energy .....
one more point ....
the best improvements were felt when car was driven hard and long<458 kms in a day without stopping the engine>
then the avrage increaced by 1 kmpl +car is noticable smoother even to every person who is not aware of my experiments.........
and is not technically inclined...
soooo long live boric powder, ft and kaiser.............<i will love to add acetone to it toooo .........
TURBOSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 13:56   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
sorry for the late and in frequent updates..
in last 7000 +kms i changed oil filters every 2 000kms .
my engine was on the verge of overhauling... the third connecting is so worn out it used to make banging noises till the oil pressure builds every morning.....
then i added boric powder..............
the noise is gone ..........
not evedient for last 7562 kms........................
thanks a lottt...........
now the car engine runs bit cooler, so fan runs late and for lesser time ,,saving electrical and thermal loads ... saves energy .....
one more point ....
the best improvements were felt when car was driven hard and long<458 kms in a day without stopping the engine>
then the avrage increaced by 1 kmpl +car is noticable smoother even to every person who is not aware of my experiments.........
and is not technically inclined...
soooo long live boric powder, ft and kaiser.............<i will love to add acetone to it toooo .........
Thought you were already using acetone as per the following post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post470060 (My Experience With Adding Acetone in Petrol)
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2007, 15:16   #159
BHPian

Hi TURBOSAM,

I observed similar experience using wonderful boron in old maruti 800.....it was making engine noise & was drinking too much oil....also FE was just 8....I added in engine oil + gear box & within a month he found engine making very less noise & vibration and FE increased to 12 with smoothness of engine....this uncle of mine now loves to drive car faster as he was unable to do in past....he too had dediced to open engine for overhauling....but now enjoys....

My point is that if engine overhauling is due then why cant we try this to delay it and to rectify the underlying problem?Mechanical wear & tear are prevented to increase the life of engine is the main benefit apart from excellent friction reduction.....

Enjoy....

Last edited by finetuning : 16th June 2007 at 15:34.
Old 18th June 2007, 11:08   #160
BHPian

hi finetuning,
made a trip from chennai to bangalore almost nonstop on 180ug3.
1. lubed chain and added carrom powder with bearing grease and applied on to the chain.
2, this is where my dilema. when i about to mix carrom powder with oil my dad questioned me how u know its pure boric powder? he is right there might be some chalk powder too mixed. so i went to medical shop asked for boric powder. when i opened the pack it was very coarse compared to carrom powder. i decided to filter out with a cloth. mixed with acetone then added oil acetone and powder settles down not mixing throughly with oil . filtered with cloth may be 3 gms are passed thru cloth rest not filtered.
In my case i couldnt find any difference very windy cant hear engine noise came to bangalore 6 hrs flat and engine was relatively cool. top speed cant pass 106 due to wind.
i will give another try. plz tell me is carrom powder is pure?
Old 19th June 2007, 18:43   #161
BHPian

Hi Vijay,

I m not sure about the purity of powder......its difficult to find so....pure powder is very lubricious & sparkling white and very fine....if you think powder you used was coarse then better try to get it from another place....you are right that anything can be added into it.....now we need to use any kind of blender to dispense powder into oil.......fine particles must be well dispersed in oil & that can be done by mixture......there after you can filter it with cloth.........

Enjoy.....
Old 21st June 2007, 10:36   #162
BHPian

Default wow!

new updates ,
as i told upals my m 800 has crossed 280000+kms nov 86 model.
before the magic treatment the engine useto make con rod slapping noise if i cross 80 kmph in top gear............
after boric acid treatment.. i can effortlessly pull it to 135 kmph..... in ac one person on board.
wow wow wow .
the oil filter is not yet changed yet after 7300 kms..(mobil 1 total service life is @10,000 kms
the low oil pressure indicator light stopped working the third day of treatment... the car is running 20 25 deg cooler(oil temp measured through the dip stick and the fan almost stopped functioning unless the ac is on (and its not mal functioning)----
what happens if while changing the engine oil i add boric powder again... (is more is bad! in this case??)
TURBOSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 13:29   #163
BHPian

After reading all the post on this thread about boric acid ,i finally gathered up all the much required courage to go in for this treatment.
So here goes the observation that i have noticed.

Vehicle details : M800 97 Model Carb
Engine oil :Castrol Magnetic 3lites

Mixed 150 gms of boric acid in 3 liters.Mixed it with the help of a mixer.The odometer reading was 800 km now its around 1800 km.So covered a distance of around 1000 km.Boric acid was also added to the gearbox.
First 1300 kms ,i used only speed (no acetone mixed with the fuel).Overall observation.

1. Engine had become smooth and the pick up had also increased slightly.
2. Earlier second and third gear shift were a bit hard ,but now believe me the gear shifted like a "makhan".
3. FE that i got was around 17-18 (city+highway).
4. Engine was quieter and cooler .

So after driving for around 500 kms ( after the oil+boric was put) on sunday i decide to check my engine oil.To my surprise i saw the oil had become black but was still quiet thick and few specs of carbon on the dip stick.Now decided will start adding acetone and see how the engine responds.So for the next 500 km
drove the vehicle with acetone mixed.Now the observations.

1. Engine had now become even more smoother, vibrations hardly noticeable and had to get it tuned up again.
2. Pick up was awesome and feeling of the smoothness, hmmm just can't explain dear.
3. The most important FE .This time i got 19-20 /lt.

All the figures are with out A.C and two people on board. Checked the oil again it was really black and had become really thin.Would be replacing it with the oil filter and putting in fresh dose of engine oil and boric acid but this time i am planning to reduce the amount of boric acid may be to 25 gms per liter.
What do you say finetuning ? Should i reduce the amout of boric acid or continue the second oil treatment with the same amount.
Ravi Yadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 13:32   #164
Senior - BHPian

No you don't. This is a one time treatment till you open the engine for overhaul.

After you overhaul, my suggestion is to add Boric Powder after 5000 Kms as by that time the vehicle would have properly run-in and all the moving parts would have seated well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
what happens if while changing the engine oil i add boric powder again... (is more is bad! in this case??)
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2007, 18:14   #165
BHPian

Hi Ravi & Turbosam,

Its great to see you experimenting and getting desired result......

Now.....you must change only oil filter aeap as most of carbon layers that piled off with this powder are in oil making it thick and black.....changing oil filter is a must in older cars & after changing filter you will feel more difference in power & smoothness.......normally in older cars just after 100 km driving we need to change oil filter so that oil doesnt become too thick because of carbons,varnishes & and gunks....you can continue running without changing oil......it takes anything between 600 to 1500 km for passing full benefit with this hence we need to drive with boron treated oil for at least 1000 km.....

Remember too much of this powder is not desirable as within oner treatment we get fine layer of boric oxides over metal surfaces so no need to repeat again........

100 gm is more then adaquate for maruti 800 & other cars up to 3.5 ltr engine oil capacity....

In any case fine microscopic layers of boric oxides must not be disrturbed...so I think one time treatment is more then enough.....

Ride & glide with boron at no extra cost.....this is the beginning of friction revolution......you can try using it in wheel bearing.....it works great.....together in engine+gear box+wheel makes a lot of difference in daily driving....

Enjoy.....