Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 22 33.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.46%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 26.15%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th June 2007, 16:04   #181
BHPian

Hi,

No statement is silly.....may be its our inability to come to the right comclusion based on experiences and understanding based on education......if somebody says chemical reaction takes place and somebody denies even though its working....its my honest effort to explain how it works....

Look at the way technology is shattering old myths everyday.....the essential purpose of this thread is to pass on technological benefit to all....

Whats a Research after all?.....its essentially moving ahead on the track laid down by others and finding newer benefits or to jump to newer track and finding something new....its indeed Seaching Again and Again...........
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2007, 19:14   #182
Team-BHP Support

Hearing Boric acid to 300 degrees decomposes it to B2O3 + water.
This process is called dehydration.
If you have discovered a catalyst which can do the same reaction at a temparature of less than 100 degrees or whereabouts, please publish the results.
Discovering a new chemical reaction means nobel prize thats 1 million dollars
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 14:49   #183
BHPian

Default i dont care!!!

hi fine tuning!
i dont care even if u cant prove the world that the boric acid converts in to boric oxide on paper .........
my m 800 which has covered more than 280000kms since nov 86 has proved it silently...
the engine which couldnot reeved morethan 80 kmph in fourth gear touches 130 -140 kmph comfortably ...
simple test .............
the problem with we team bhpians is we are here to proove everyone wrong on paper even if it works in real life, saves fuel, runs engines cooler by 10 degrees, makes engines run much much better....prolongs the overhauling of old engines by tens of thousends of more miles...
what are we trying to proove............
other than we are bad fighters, crabs on nets... --- on paper?..
instead --try it personally ... the way fine tuning recomands.........
and be neutral .....in opnions...
believe in him ..
he is not an enemy of ur wallet or ur engine. ..
he does not even have a flourishing business of selling acetone and boric powder... like some of our members have ...and using the fourom as a free billboard with some non technical claims and some non technical members to proove that he is right!!
am not critisizing any one in person..
just supporting one good fellow member who is selflessly trying to help u get more out of your own car...
thats the very reason i was staying away from commenting on any thing...
but as i am benifiting by whatever the fine tuning has suggested
I SUPPORT HIM FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!
TURBOSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:30   #184
BHPian

Hi TURBOSAM,

Thanks for your whole hearted support.......in my every thread aim is to only to pass on benefits...as said by some one there are millions of methods to work out in car to improve performance & FE and its my effort to find few which are effortless,cost effective and really beneficial one......

There is a great difference reading something in this virtual world of internet and implementing it and passing on without any expectation.....

I came across at least 2 vehicles,Maruti 800 and Maruti Esteem due for overhauling for many reasons....but owner decided to try this wonderful stuff & result is they are now enjoying added smoothness & power apart from delaying overhauling since last 6 month..........this made me think about the tremendous benefits being passed on......

Enjoy...
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:19   #185
Senior - BHPian

I think fine tuning is just telling us the effect of boric powder on his car's engine and performance. he didn't claim any new chemical reaction. did he? i think he was candid enough to admit that he doesn't know precisely why it happens. he knows that it works. husbands and wives are not supposed to have advanced degree in gynaecology to become parents - do they?
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 16:28   #186
BHPian

Default Why Resistance To New Concepts?

Here is an excerpt from lubdev.com showing how strangely looking ideas/concepts are not accepted even though they work well.....

"It is common for people to be skeptical about new ideas. Some few people thrive on new ideas and some magazines are full of new stuff. But in these instances, the word new means popular. Thus in reality many technical persons are terrified of new ideas because unknown fresh concepts threaten their egos and attack (in their perception) the possibly rigid, previously held concepts with which they were familiar and comfortable. That which is truly new is never popular at first. The two hundredth monkey has to agree with it before any popularity is possible along with acceptance in general. Some cultures will never tolerate that which is new or different because these cultures promote intolerance and resist any change. To them, any change is bad. No amount of proof or compelling data will alter the mindset of someone who feels threatened by what conflicts with their previously established technical concepts. You might as well be attacking their religion, by the amount of resistance they put up. These individuals may refuse to even try something that other people say works great. They refuse and/or deny even the possibility that something could behave contrary to their personal views, indicating not only a lack of expertise in the field but such a rigid pattern also loudly states that these individuals are close-minded.

BTW I consulted with two psychologists on why people fear the new. One told me that many individuals are insecure and unsure of new ideas or devices that upset their territorial domain. The other said newness is like a disease that they might have to fight or compete against and this scares the daylights out of them. The unknown is a dark demon to these guys.

Usually people ridicule the unknown, or flatly state that it is impossible. Even when I show a working example, there is this stone wall of refusal to accept anything new or what seems contrary to their personal beliefs. These individuals are in the majority and typically cannot understand general principles in physics or chemistry or other sciences. Eventually I meet people who are open-minded and receptive to new concepts. But they are rare. Even in universities there are numerous individuals who remain close-minded and few who are willing to experiment in a truly inductive method without prejudice or rigid personal views."
Old 4th July 2007, 17:02   #187
Team-BHP Support

Do not take the argument off track,
If you had just said that Boric Acid is beneficial for engine, but you don't know why, it would have been okay.
You CLAIMED that boric acid is converted to boric oxide inside the engine, thats why I asked you the chemical reaction
Quote:
husbands and wives are not supposed to have advanced degree in gynaecology to become parents - do they?
But then if husbands and wifes say that jumping up and down three times while looking at the moon gives you a baby boy would you believe them? Finetuning claimed knowledge. I.e. Boric acid converted to Boric oxide. Thats why the question.
The only way to do so is heat it to 300degrees.
If such a reaction actually happens below 300 degrees it is actually a candidate for Nobel Prize
Moreover finetuning also posted this link
This article talks about use of Boron as Fuel in future. A totally unrelated article.
Its like I say Petrol is a good fuel, please add petrol to your engine oil.

I am questioning the means why which finetuning is saying engine is benefited. He claims that its due to boric acid being converted to boric oxide. I disagreed with this, not with that boric acid is not useful.
Boric acid may or may not be useful, without using it I am not qualified to tell whether its useful or not.
If any of you are getting benefit, very good. I am not questioning you.
All I am asking is how is boric acid being converted to boric oxide. It would be very interesting for me to know of a way by which this chemical reaction can happen below 300 degrees.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 15:19   #188

Default how would it be for 1.6 gtx with hydraulic tappets

dear people,
I have been reading about this boric acid stuff for sometime now and am very tempted to use it in my 10 year old zen. also I have a palio 1.2 and a 1.6 palio.

I was wondering that the 1.6 palio gtx uses hydraulic tappets for valve opening and closing. now does anyone have any experience on using boric acid for cars with hydraulic tappets.

Though I am very much tempted.

I love the gtx and would love to make it better.

Yogesh
chips_mittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:36   #189

Default put boric acid in palio 1.6 gtx

dear people,
Seeing a lotof you benefit from using boric acid in engine oil and gearbox oil. I have also put the same in my palio 1.6 gtx. I have put 100 gms of boric acid in my gtx after mixing for about 25 minutes in 250 ml engine oil.

Also the same was done with the gear oil. same quantity.

intial obervations: engine is definitely making less sound. Infact I was revving to 3000rpm and I could feel the difference. It is much more silent. This was noted in the first 10 minutes itself.

Now the gearbox, it is difficult to say. As the 3rd, 4th and 5th have definitely become smooth, but 1st and 2nd are slightly "atak rahe hain". I don't know why. I have been using wynn gear oil treatment on my car regularly and the gear shift has been smooth, but now the 1st and 2nd feel "nothcy and clicky". Maybe it is psychological as I am trying to pay to much attention.

But the engine seems silent and also, after doing about 3000 to 4000 rpm for 12 kilometers, I expected the engine to sound harsher and the temperature guage to be on the higher side of below half mark, but it is cooler than what it used to be. Maybe it is the rains, maybe it is the ocassional bursts of speed that I did.

Shall keep you people updated.

What are people's reviews about using it in gearbox, please comment,

Thanks
Yogesh
Old 2nd August 2007, 23:14   #190
BHPian

yogesh,

you are really brave that you tried it on 1.6 fiat. Here people do it on their decades old vehicles. Is there any improvement in in-gear acceleration.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:23   #191

hi swathyd,
Last night went for a high speed run. Revved the car hard. The engine has definitely become quite silent. 3000rpm, it was quicker to reach this rpm range. I drive on cng sequential system. i revved it and went all the way upto 7000 rpm.

I think in-gear acceleration is better. Also earlier I said that the gear shift has become notchy. Though last night, it did not feel so. It was infact better.

Rest,I shall keep people posted.

thanks
Yogesh
Old 15th August 2007, 14:00   #192
BHPian

Hi everybody,
I think the stuff works better in aluminium engines.Esteem has it , old zen too.So, finetune got better results
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 21:30   #193
BHPian

Default hi

just opened the m 800 engine for the overhauling . there was no sludge formation containing the boric powder ,
it was completely suspended /coated on the engine parts!
TURBOSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 10:16   #194
Senior - BHPian

How did you deduce & I quote - " it was completely suspended /coated on the engine parts!"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
just opened the m 800 engine for the overhauling . there was no sludge formation containing the boric powder ,
it was completely suspended /coated on the engine parts!
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2007, 23:31   #195
BHPian

Hi TURBOSAM,

Can you share how was the condition inside engine?Was it much cleaner then normal engine after this treatment?If its cleaner then its a working exactly as depicted in theory.