Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 22 33.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.46%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 26.15%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd September 2007, 11:20   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
just opened the m 800 engine for the overhauling . there was no sludge formation containing the boric powder ,
it was completely suspended /coated on the engine parts!
@Turbosam, can you please post some pics of the engine, if you have taken any.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 16:04   #197

I am a new member to team bhp site and registered only after reading finetunings experiment with his car and immideatly applied his theory adding boric acid to engine oil in my decads old Rajdoot. I found dramatical change in its performence (acceleration & gear shifting very smooth).
But i think it may give better performence if used in Four Stroke Bikes where the crank is dipped in engine oil where as in Bikes like mine Two Stroke the crank is dry and lubricated by the oil mixed with fuel only.
Thus i tried his Boric acid in petrol but found no such remarkable change as i noticed earlier Boric Acid in engine oil, may be i have just riden my bike only 1 or 2 km. may be i found it better in the long run.
In future if i got good result (which seems to be obvious) i will apply this in my car zen lxi 2004.
Thanks to finetuning and others who had voted and quoted only after doing this experiment.
sudip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2007, 12:30   #198

Default If i am not wrong i thinl answer to your question lies in this link

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes 2fast, its true. Some very old engines have carbon and other deposits seated into the seals. Removing them could lead to failure. Thats why you have these flushes which say "For engines older than 50,000kms" and some which say "For engines newer than 50,000".
Boron is not a detergent, it forms a bond with the metal when available in free form.
However Boric acid(H3BO3) is soluble only in water.
When heated to 170 degree C it dehydrates forming HB02. This metaboric acid is slightly soluble in water with melting point at 236 degree C.
You do not want Metaboric acid in your engine, trust me. However if your engine oil temperature goes to 170 degree C there are bigger problems than just metaboric acid.
Though I believe addition of boron is good, I cannot see (by way of chemical reactions) that how is it possible for boric acid to release free boron to form a bond with the metal.

Also all commercial regarding this method involve free boron to get the bond, not boric acid.

Now suppose even if your boric acid released free boron, the Hydrogen and oxygen will have to go somewhere, it cannot vanish (poof). So in that case you have Water in your engine oil. A happy thought aint it?
BTW the seive in the oil filters catches all things such as boric acid. A member found the white powder in the engine oil filter.

I am all for DIY stuff, but when the actual chemical reactions are missing and instead you have statements like "Revolutionary way etc., etc.," it leads to skeptism.
Advanced Lubrication Technology, Inc. - Technical Specifications
sudip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 18:24   #199
BHPian

Default No need to change your habit

Hi elf,

Thanks for sharing your reading difficulties but I think what you mentioned is very different from my style of writing.....I used to go this way only after a sentence is over like we do when we talk normally.....pausing in between.....I think when we read very long para we used to miss many words & lines if reading fast.....this way I think we can avoid it.....what can I say more?...anyway I will try to change this habit....

Enjoy...[/quote]

Dear Fine tuning,

its bit late but what the heck....By the way this is Off topic..

Your posts in fact are much easier to read.The ...does give a pause to the sentence and emphasizes it more. Keep it up and dont let anybody encroach in your individuality. if people are irritated the way you write then its time to contemplate on their own mind frame and conditioning to get stuck onto ancient habits..

As far as grammer is concerned the rules are any way changing so fast....SMS and lingo used on the TV....or the chats...teanagers talking in cafeterias. What can you do about it................
premchetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:57   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So I am unable to find where the chemical reaction takes place where Boric acid is converted to boric trioxide.

I am not questioning boron but merely looking for a chemical reaction which will convert boric acid to boric oxide which can coat the metal.
The conversion is probably not taking place.
The link here might be of interest:

ScienceDaily: Nano-boric Acid Makes Motor Oil More Slippery
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 20:28   #201
BHPian

wont ther occur any chemical reactions my car's odo has clocked 2000km after changing the engine oil ... can i add boric acid now or during the next engine oil change ... ?
yasw_anth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 15:35   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

In this case you need to keep adding Boric Acid every time you change engine oil.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 21:33   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
In this case you need to keep adding Boric Acid every time you change engine oil.
I got my car serviced yesterday and had clocked over 5,000kms with the boric acid treatment in the engine oil & gear box. I got both the oils changed ( no boric treatment this time).
I must say when i drove the car today the engine felt really very smooth.
Boric is a must do i am really impressed with the results
Kaizer Sozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 22:52   #204

Hi Just registered here after reading this AMAZING thread! So far, i guess no one has said that this has had a negative effect on the engine in any way.
Also another link to prove finetuning's theory: Click.
kalpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 11:44   #205

Okay, im ready to add boric acid to my bike. But just one problem, how do i measure 10 grams of boric acid accurately?
kalpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 13:33   #206
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

Nano boric acid. Its very very different from nano boric acid. We are talking about particiles 10x smaller than those found in boric acid.
Please keep in mind that the researchers had to "do a 10X reduction" to get benefits.
If they had got benefits with just boric acid why would they bake so many poppadoms
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 13:41   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Boric acid is a very good cure for yeast infections and candidiasis.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 14:42   #208
BHPian

Sam,

Lets not discuss where boric acid is useful on living organisms.Even if you stated this for fun its not good to discuss so.

tsk1979,

Why you look at this thread as an enemy of car enthusiast?

Nano particle reduction is indeed more beneficial but it dosnt mean otherwise.Intention of this thread is to pass on benefits at easily available resources.Technological upgradation is different thing.Why every time this things pop ups in your mind?
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2007, 19:59   #209
Senior - BHPian

Finetunung, here's something to help what you are saying:

"But driven by a conviction that he could fashion boric acid into an even better lubricant, Erdemir continued to chase the ultimate frontier: a perfectly frictionless material. Glimpsing the potential of nanotechnology, Erdemir went smaller 10 times smaller and was astonished by the behavior of much thinner boric acid films. "If you can produce or manufacture boric acid at the nanoscale, its properties become even more fantastic," he said."
The rest of this article can be found here:
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 15:56   #210
Senior - BHPian

Boron treatment or adding boric acid to the engine oil is a one time treatment. The boron particles encase the moving parts by forming a film over it and that lasts for long.

pm fintuning and he would tell you exactly how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote