Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 22 33.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.46%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 26.15%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th June 2008, 18:09   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
that set me thinking that similar deposit would also happen in the fuel tank (as I added BA in fuel as well) at rest as sedimentation. While the filter unit could be cleaned at every service, getting the tank and oil sump cleaned was an exercise that I was unwilling to take.
GD bhai why FUEL? What moving part needed lubrication in the fuel system? I guess you were already using acetone and that should have worked out fine. No where in the entire thread did i see mention of adding BA in the fuel.

And when changing engine oil, the oil from the engine sump also gets drained. So if there are any larger particles of BA, they will drain up with the used oil.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 18:30   #272
BHPian

finetuning sir,

is this you, supertuner, there, why have you not updated there your complete findings ?

mpg Research • View topic - Boric acid and derivatives....??

anyways hats off to your patience here, anwering everyquery..

FIAT,always....
sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 20:19   #273
BHPian

Hi Sanjay,

Infact I shared most of my thoughts in that forum...but since "what happens inside engine" is such a topic which always keeps us guessing based on different results.....

I have taken further steps in this fields which I will share at appropriate time....

If anybody reads all the information available about boric acid as a lubricant then one can easily come to conclusion about its potentials.

I always looked at all criticism/feedback in positive manner....I know that all are my dear friends & such questions are bound to arise sooner or later....I too am constantly on learning curve... so opinion changes....

Enjoy...
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 21:29   #274
Senior - BHPian

FT, how about dissolving the BA in hot water and adding it to the sump?
Isn't the solubility of BA best in hot water?
The water will hopefully evaporate before emulsifying with the oil.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 22:08   #275
BHPian

Hi,

Dissolving BA with hot water works. In any case we want to have reduced particle size of boric acid by our own method. Solubility of boric acid is highest in methanol then ethanol and acetone and water if I remember correct but with this method there is no considerable difference noted.Boric acid has to be well dispersed into oil.

In the same manner these solvents can be used. Methanol too will evaporate but I found it unpracticable. Methanol in oil makes it like curd. Not desirable.

Keep on sharing new ideas.
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 09:13   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning View Post
Hi Sanjay,

Infact I shared most of my thoughts in that forum...but since "what happens inside engine" is such a topic which always keeps us guessing based on different results.....

I have taken further steps in this fields which I will share at appropriate time....

If anybody reads all the information available about boric acid as a lubricant then one can easily come to conclusion about its potentials.

I always looked at all criticism/feedback in positive manner....I know that all are my dear friends & such questions are bound to arise sooner or later....I too am constantly on learning curve... so opinion changes....

Enjoy...
Hello Finetuning,

yes, you have shared with us all the info you have & really appreciate your tenacity & perseverance.. & you have backed your claim by both experimenting on your own prized possesion ( maruti esteem & scooty) & technicalities.. really appreciate your patience..

yes i would like to try this on my FIAT 1.2 ( run around 17K) & also on my new Glatiator type RS ( got it last week) once it crosses 5K kms.. i for one do not doubt the capabilities of Boric oxide or its ill effects if any..

i will send you a PM before actually preparing the mixture..

thanks once again,

FIAT, always....
sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 11:07   #277
Senior - BHPian

If my grey cells serve me well, I recall FT mentioning that BA could be added to fuel too by premixing it with acetone.. Finetuning: can you corraborate that?

Agreed, while draining the sump nearly gets empty, but I've seen some diesel engines opened up for overhaul and their engine sump was full of sludge, that needed scraping to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
GD bhai why FUEL? What moving part needed lubrication in the fuel system? I guess you were already using acetone and that should have worked out fine. No where in the entire thread did i see mention of adding BA in the fuel.

And when changing engine oil, the oil from the engine sump also gets drained. So if there are any larger particles of BA, they will drain up with the used oil.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 12:40   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If my grey cells serve me well, I recall FT mentioning that BA could be added to fuel too by premixing it with acetone.. Finetuning: can you corraborate that?

Agreed, while draining the sump nearly gets empty, but I've seen some diesel engines opened up for overhaul and their engine sump was full of sludge, that needed scraping to remove.
I did not find mention of adding BA to diesel fuel tank anywhere in the whole thread. Acetone yes, but not BA. FT, please clarify.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 17:18   #279
BHPian

Quote:

GD bhai grey cells are greying with age it seems.
FT only mentioned BA to be dissolved with acetone to be added to THE ENGINE OIL. So that BA particles breakdown completely and mix with the oil well. Guess you confused it with the acetone in fuel funda.
Lets wait for FT on the clarification though.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:20   #280
BHPian

Quote:
FT only mentioned BA to be dissolved with acetone to be added to THE ENGINE OIL. So that BA particles breakdown completely and mix with the oil well. Guess you confused it with the acetone in fuel funda.
I think GD bhai is talking about this link

My Experience Of Adding Boric Acid In Petrol by finetuning

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...id-petrol.html (My Experience Of Adding Boric Acid In Petrol)
vvvinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 10:26   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
I think GD bhai is talking about this link

My Experience Of Adding Boric Acid In Petrol by finetuning

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...id-petrol.html (My Experience Of Adding Boric Acid In Petrol)
Thank you vvvinod, for proving me right..

Quote:
abhik: I for once, after reading your post, thought that old age has caught up and meomry is failing me as grey cells are probably the last to surrender. While the rest of the body was functioning in top condition, this couldn't have been true and that set me worrying. I also checked with wifey if the almonds that she buys for me were from the same shop or was changed recently? All parameters are ok. We'll discuss this in details on 21st..
Old 18th June 2008, 21:04   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you vvvinod, for proving me right..

abhik: I for once, after reading your post, thought that old age has caught up and meomry is failing me as grey cells are probably the last to surrender. While the rest of the body was functioning in top condition, this couldn't have been true and that set me worrying. I also checked with wifey if the almonds that she buys for me were from the same shop or was changed recently? All parameters are ok. We'll discuss this in details on 21st..

My appologies GD sir, i forgot with age comes experience!!
Old 18th June 2008, 21:09   #283
Senior - BHPian

Default Motor Silkô Engine Treatment

Does anybody know if this is available in India and/or anyone used it? If so, the results...

Automotive lubrication products with Boron CLS Bondô
Old 18th June 2008, 22:32   #284
BHPian

Adding BA to fuel seems wierd if we are stressing on lubricating properties of BA and the fuel(petrol/diesel) have opposite chemical qualities and also the fuel systems(carb, injection, crd) do not have any moving part requiring lubrication unless the motive is to add boric oxide layers in the cylinder using fuel as a medium. Anyways dont think i am going to try that, better off trying BA with engine oil, which i will do on sunday most probably.
Old 21st June 2008, 12:09   #285
BHPian

i have also added BA in my engine oil but first experiment on my pulsar and then if i find good results then in my car. as of now it has done only 15kms after the treatment but yes there is smoothness in the drive. After adding it as per procedure said by FT i drove it for 12kms on trot. So lets see after about 100kms the review. but looks like it is good. i have used his experiment of acetone in petrol and has worked to a great extent in my bike as well as car. Thanks for sharing these experiments for better car performace.
rakowli is offline   Reply With Quote