Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 22 33.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.46%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 26.15%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th July 2008, 14:00   #331
BANNED

Good lucks with all your experiments guys!
Wish everybody a boric success.

I will never ever do this in any of my vehicles.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 14:28   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Good lucks with all your experiments guys!
Wish everybody a boric success.

I will never ever do this in any of my vehicles.
with you zak and i too cannot think of adding BA,ACETONE and all that stuff and definitely to improve engine smoothness Mobil1 Synthetic is keeping me happy @ the moment. All the best to you guys, but somehow i cannot dare do that.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 16:32   #333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
with you zak and i too cannot think of adding BA,ACETONE and all that stuff and definitely to improve engine smoothness Mobil1 Synthetic is keeping me happy @ the moment. All the best to you guys, but somehow i cannot dare do that.

Zak and VJ,

I first both your thoughts.

I can only see 2 or 3 people replying on this thread, what's the need to push it so hard.

I somehow find these experiments so meaningless. No offences to anybody.

But guys lets lead on maintaining our cars wonderfully NORMAL

They are better that way.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 16th July 2008 at 16:36.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 18:40   #334
BHPian

Hey if this is the thing then why people fill premium fuel in their cars n bike. they should fill normal petrol and do regular servicing. No offence meant. and sorry if i hurt anybody. but just the way of thinking. i fill normal petrol with these experiments.
rakowli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 19:27   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkonfig View Post
An offtopic query, what are the illeffects of adding extra engine oil than the recommended quantity?
Source: Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

What happens when an engine is overfilled with oil?

So you topped up the engine when it was warm after getting a faulty dipstick reading, or you put too much oil in when you changed it yourself. What's the worst that could happen? Well the problem with this is that the next time the engine is run, the windage in the crankcase and other pressures generated by the oil pump, etc. place a great strain on the seal on the rear main bearing.

Eventually, often much sooner than the ordinary man in the street might expect, the rear main bearing seal ruptures, and the engine becomes a 'leaker'. If you've got a manual gearbox, this means one thing: this oil goes right onto the flywheel and the face of the clutch disc. A lubricated clutch is A Bad Thing. If this still goes unnoticed, the front seal is the next to go, and the engine then becomes a 'gusher' (or to be more colourful, it starts pissing oil all over the place). As well as smothering the clutch with oil from the rear, the oil now coming from the front leak will be neatly distributed about the engine bay as it hits the front pulley - often propelling it out as far as the brake discs.

At the same time as this Hollywood disaster movie is unfolding outside the engine, things aren't working out any better on the inside. As you can see from the diagram, the correct oil level is really close to the rotating crank. Overfilling will mean the crank dips into the oil and churns it into a froth. Froth is good on certain types of coffee but not good in an engine. The mixture of aerated oil will be forced into the bearings and in case you didn't know, air is not a lubricant. Typically this means that bearing damage will follow quite rapidly, especially if you are driving on a motorway. You'll know bearing damage when you get it. The engine smells like a garage mechanic cooking over an open flame and the noise coming from the engine is the sort of thing you'd normally hear in vaudeville plays when a piano is pushed down a flight of stairs.

As if that all wasn't bad enough, the excess oil gets thrown up into the piston bores where the piston rings have a hard time coping with the excess oil and pressure. It gets into the combustion chamber and some of it will get out into the exhaust system unburned resulting in a nice patina of oil all over the platinum surfaces of your catalytic converter. This renders it utterly useless for good.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 21:45   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
So you topped ..........useless for good.
Dawm! Cant they just have a simple overflow valve of some sort or something!
AbhiJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 18:22   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Dawm! Cant they just have a simple overflow valve of some sort or something!
a simple solution.

This happened to me last time when I gave my bike for servicing. I rode the bike for about 7kms to the service station. Oil change was due and so the mechanic did it.. maybe half an hour after the ride. Then after a few days, I noticed oil leaks from the left side of the engine so had to get the oil seals changed.
hyper123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 00:08   #338
BHPian

Default Succesfully Borified an Opel Astra 1.6 1997 NZR

A very good friend of mine who sat through me in the entire experiment of trying BA with engine oil in my Ikon, was very eager to try it on his Opel Astra 1.6 1997model NZR engine which has done a total of 1,78,000 plus and runs on CNG.
Due to lack of time and his busy schedule we couldnt fix up a meeting to try the BA experiment together so he decided to go ahead anyways.
His car runs like a 11year old car slow, vibes at idling and rough.
He follwed FT's procedure of adding BA and running the car for 100km continuously and he said that the difference in running was evident after only 5kms of driving and was getting better with every km he clocked.

I drove the car after it had run 500km plus after BA treatment and the car actually felt smoother and lighter to run. I asked him if he had made any other changes to the car and he denied. So the car was as it was earlier and now the only difference was BA in the engine oil. Oil filter is still not changed.
Idling vibes was now 95% lesser than earlier and when i drove it for about 6-7kms it felt a lot lot more silent and silky smooth than what it was before.
The difference in performance was a lot more than what i experienced in my car and somehow with other people's experiences as well i can figure out that BA treatment is more beneficial to older engine with higer mileage clocked on them as the difference in performance noticed is more than engines with lower mileage but nevertheless difference in performance is there no matter how old the engine is.
abhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 14:36   #339
BHPian

Hi abhik,

Good to see people getting benefited.One thing is sure this affects engine in a better way.But its more pronounced in older car having run more Km.In newer car too this friction reduction & metal treatment method works but very silently.

Look at my own jijajis new wagon R which now completed 16K km.The moment I drive another wagon R of same mileage I can difinitely feel the difference in terms of smoothness,pick up,in gear acceleration,reduction in vibration & engine noise(whatever it may be...its getting reduced).

Now I can not say its an Experiment as that phase is already passed on for me.Experiment is meant to check long term effects/drawbacks and many other parameters with consistant use.I urge members to have a sceintific approach towards this ignoring me and my passionate words describing all these.Again I say even if a single member is getting benefited I m happy.There are numerous research papers & publiction available on internet.Dont get confused by word Boric Acid rather read how its useful as a lubricant on todays senario.

For many this seems meaningless & waste of time considering cost of vehicles and so on...but thats their view and we are here to discuss ideas and thoughts so they are welcome.We keep on arguing till that PUZZLE which is there in our mind gets solved by knowlegde,direct experience,lapse of time and many other factors.And life is full of such PUZZLES which keeps us busy throughout life.
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 18:12   #340

Hi Finetunning,
I had been on regular basis reading this thread,and went on putting the boric acid on my Yamaha 99 model 135cc, with the amazing results, this bike was almost finished as my servants at my village has misused it with kerosene for years,its working well again. Second one tried with my Esteem LX 1997 which had lost the power and the pleasure to drive, thanks F.T its once again back with that 85bhp power. Third and last was by ZEN2002 MPFI Euro II- and the results on this was far the best its almost like new back that peppy pickup is back, and there is improvement in FE too ,have droven it 1800km now 15% gain on FE,but just forget that FE the engine is absolute smooth and gearbox silky smooth.

Thanks FT you have changed the way i use to ride on these car.

Will keep updating the forum after few more Km are clocked.
Boricfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 23:20   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning View Post
Hi abhik,

Good to see people getting benefited.One thing is sure this affects engine in a better way.But its more pronounced in older car having run more Km.In newer car too this friction reduction & metal treatment method works but very silently.

Look at my own jijajis new wagon R which now completed 16K km.The moment I drive another wagon R of same mileage I can difinitely feel the difference in terms of smoothness,pick up,in gear acceleration,reduction in vibration & engine noise(whatever it may be...its getting reduced).

Now I can not say its an Experiment as that phase is already passed on for me.Experiment is meant to check long term effects/drawbacks and many other parameters with consistant use.I urge members to have a sceintific approach towards this ignoring me and my passionate words describing all these.Again I say even if a single member is getting benefited I m happy.There are numerous research papers & publiction available on internet.Dont get confused by word Boric Acid rather read how its useful as a lubricant on todays senario.

For many this seems meaningless & waste of time considering cost of vehicles and so on...but thats their view and we are here to discuss ideas and thoughts so they are welcome.We keep on arguing till that PUZZLE which is there in our mind gets solved by knowlegde,direct experience,lapse of time and many other factors.And life is full of such PUZZLES which keeps us busy throughout life.
I completely agree Harish, you are definately right and i have in all possible ways and to the best of my knowledge tried to test the treatment and have seen an evident diference in performance of the engine it may not be a whole lot to write home about but will definately make you smile at the end of the day.
I am so happy about the fact that the engine operating temperature of my car car gone down considerably and there is overall smoothness.

My friend's Astra has benefitted a whole lot more being run so much and has made him happy.
Old 20th July 2008, 23:35   #342
BHPian

What is required to understand by all here is that apart from text book knowlegde is that with a scientific approach one can physically make out why simple BA powder available off the counter can be used as a lubricating addon to the base lubricant i.e engine oil.
Imagine having Mobil 1 Super Syn or Shell Helix Ultra which are one the best known lubricants and engine oil and then making them even better with this treatment to make an engine perform better.
Just take carrom powder/Boric Acid in your hand and rub it against your fingers, it is so fine and slippery, what harm can it possibly do? And if not anything then just the slippery property will help the internals move smoother.
I removed the oil filter and didnt find any deposits. There wer'nt any deposits in the oil that came out aswell and i carefully examined both.
So wherever the powder might have dissapered it is surely working its magic.
Old 20th July 2008, 23:49   #343
BHPian

I love my car and will think twice before doing anything to it. For every mod or addition in my car i go indepth of the pros and cons of it. So i did the same here aswell because Ikon is'nt a car to be messed around with too much.
Old 17th August 2008, 20:39   #344

latest update on car response and FE figures as i was on a long drive to mu native place.

Car on higher speeds was very responsive,smooth and ready to take more went upto 148 kPM (that to on lpg)but for few seconds only-- else my drive was steady on 70 to 90 mark.Earlier it never went over 120kph.Apart from that the car was very smooth no odd sound coming in. I reckon as exprienced by FT i am also finding it becoming much smooth as more and more km are clocked.

Coming to the FE figures it was a surprise for me, i was taken aback--for the matter of comparison my earlier FE for 26 ltr of LPG at city driving used to be 260-280. Now for the condition in city is 310-320.

Surprise pack is here friends at highway trip at decent speed of 70-90 apart from one high speed test 26ltr of LPG, my car has covered 368 km earlier it never crossed 300-310. It is significant gain making it more pocket/enviorment friendly-shall also help in conserving resources with we have in limited number/amount.

Till now it has covered total of 3866 km after boric treatment. i have not changed oil as it was fresh Castrol Magnetic did open the filter no traces of any Boric deposit so didnt change the filter either. One change noticed that the sludge which was deposited on the tapid visible when open the oil inlet cover has diluted to an extend, where now metal is visible. Hope to ripe even more benefits from boric. Special thanks to Finetuning. Will keep the forum updated
Boricfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 22:07   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Sameer, sorry, not meaning to be harsh, but perhaps the joke is on you!
How can you so callously go around presenting such a 'controversial experiment' to people who are barely 'literate' and programmed to do just what they have been kept there to do?!!

BTW, is any one of them a member on ANY forum whatsoever?
Am not sure about their membership to any forum, but they are automobile engineers and work for maruti and have been doing a good job as the head of the mechanical section, with India's largest selling maruti dealer.
sameer_dg is offline   Reply With Quote