Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 22 33.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.46%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 26.15%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th July 2009, 14:15   #361
BHPian

Does this helps in Cold start also. i was having a cold start problem in my P150 2004. But not in the morning but when bike is out in rain the whole day, it use to give me lot of problems for first 5 mins. of drive till it heats up. 3 days back i poured boric powder mixed in engine oil to the engine bay, also tuned a bit of more fuel flow. but now it is much better then what it was early. i doesn't give me starting problem now. it maybe because of Boric acid or maybe better tuning. But result is my problem is solved.
i have used boric powder before also, so i know it works well. So i gave it a shot and problem solved.
rakowli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 14:52   #362
BHPian

Whoa man !! , you guys really have guts by mixing Boric Acid in your engines.Would never never try anything close to that in any of my engines.
Even my generator , but then again that is just me.
RP_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 14:31   #363

You people are very lucky that India is such a hot and humid place!
Let me explain:
Boric Oxide IS NOT A LUBRICANT!!!!!!!!
Boric Acid is! Do the research.
Boric Oxide (not lube) + Water = Boric Acid (excellent lube)
B2O3 + H2O = H3BO3
WATER! Not acitone, or oil, or re-constituted dinosaur urine!

There is a lot of water in the oil over there which increases as the oil gets older. This water reacts with the oxide you guys are adding to form Boric Acid which only then reacts with metal surfaces to give low friction.

That is why it takes so long for you guys to get an improvement!
Turn the oxide into acid 1st, by adding boiling water (oxide more soluble in hot water) and you will see a difference in about 3 KM!

This stuff WILL BLOCK OIL FILTERS!!
Change filter but not old oil.
Drive 10KM to filter out anything; just in case.
Add hot mixture 50ml at a time, every 3 - 5 KM, as it will thin your oil too much if you add too much. Add thick Diesel truck oil if oil light comes on.
Change oil and filter 20- 30KM after no more improvement is noticed, but let the car stand overnight so that the stuff can get in under all the carbon etc.
Then add some of the hot water after the solids have settled out.
Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 20:10   #364
BHPian

Hi Guess I am the last one - but having gone through this thread and getting so many negative responses from top mechanics to chemical engineers, I FINALLY went ahead and used Boric Powder + acetone in engine oil of my Pulsar 150 non dtsi - I am a lazy bum and so just went to medical shop got boric powder 15 ml for 8 and acetone 22 ml for 8 or 9 - emptied acetone on the ground till i felt there was arround 10 ml left and emptied Boric powder approx 5 to 6 ml in the bottle - shook the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds and saw that boric powder had dissolved - emptied entire content in engine oil - went for a long drive of 42 kms and drove like crazy after 3 kms - raced bike all the way (bombay road permitting) - took me 4 hrs to complete the assignmentand then rode the bike back to office again 44 km drive (drove at extreme high rpm in each gear) - then after 5 hrs started bike to come home a 28 kms drive - rode the bike as i normally do - I found the bike very responsive - in each gear when i raced the bike pulled very smoothly and even in high rpm when earlier i would feel the harsh tone the bikes exhaust was giving very pleasant sound - earlier after 80 kmps the bike was pulling very smoothly as if there was lot of speed still left in it - basically i was very pleased by the acceleration and the pull of the bike - next day when i took the bike to office a 28 km drive i saw the rpm lower than normal - when i would race the engine it would go higher but the speed was much higher then the normal rpm i was used to in riding - the above experience of 36 hours only - my bike has run over 75000 kms - Have still to check in FE as my tank was half full - regards Deepak
dipak1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 15:58   #365

I dont think this thread will die out so soon...I chanced upon this thread last week and am hooked on tho this. I will be feeding my Scooty the Boric+Acetone tonic and depending on the result, will give some of the potion to my Santro as well. I am only wondering, if this is so effective, why are the Automakers/Petro companies not suggesting this? Apart from the obvious threat to them by way of reduction in the fuel sales, there would be some other solid reason why this is not promoted by anyone.
Anyway, I hv decided to take the plunge, and shall post my results....

@Deepak
How is the FE? Let us know too.
kjmads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 18:51   #366
BHPian

Hi - follow-on from my message dated 10th march, 2010 wherein i had mentioned of adding boric powder + acetone to engine oil - the bike is running very smoothly - now by smoothly i mean that earlier each gear would give a harsh note after which i would move to higher gear - now this harsh not is not there and even when i throttle the engine it goes on pulling without giving this harsh note - NOW previously i would get FUEL EFFICIENCY of 48 to 50 kmps on my Bajaj Pulsar non dtsi 150 cc - This time round i got 60.50 kmps for 0.97 ltrs of petrol - Amazed I wanted to reconfirm this average but forgot to fuel the bike and at the last moment filled petrol from an unkown Petrol Pump - this time got average of 52.28 - Now my personal opinion is that i should get more average - So today will fill petrol from my usual petrol pump - Will be able to check the FE tomorrow evening so will post my findings day after tomorrow - regards Deepak
dipak1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 16:25   #367
BHPian

Exclamation It Works!!

Hey Guys!

Since i am after every KW of power i am eke out of my Elantra Petrol engine, i mixed pure boric power obtained from the nearest chemist shop with normal tap water. Mixed it thoroughly with a hand held mixer. Also left the solution overnight. There was no trace of powder in the morning.

I have been previously using a vaporizer in my engine bay, where i mix a solution of 10% pure acetone + tap water & slowly bubble this through the intake manifold via the PCV valve.

I modified this slightly to put TINY droplets of the above solution directly into the intake manifold. I repeat TINY droplets, as these have no effect on the normal running of the engine & at the same time, introduce boric acid solution in tiny quantities into the system.

Bottom Line:
It WORKS! In fact it works so good that in about 50 kms of driving, my engine has become super smooth, & at the same acclerator pedal position the rpm is about 400-500 more than before! This means that friction losses have reduced that much more! I know my engine is coated because boric solution is coming out of the exhaust & coating my polished SS exhaust tips also!

Using this system has the advantage that it bypasses any filters & eliminates clogging problems of any kind. Into the engine & out the exhaust.

Oh Yeah baby! I'M LOVING IT!
Here is a pic of the vapourizer:
Attached Thumbnails
My Experience With adding Boric Acid in Engine oil-imgp4107-large.jpg  

Last edited by 1self : 21st March 2010 at 16:35.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 19:59   #368
Senior - BHPian

Couple of queries.

Could you explain more about this vapouriser and its functioning?

What modifications did you carry out?

What was the amount of the tiny droplets?

Now since the PCV is functional only in a petrol engine, what is you take on the diesel engines?

Could you post a picture of the full engine bay of your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Hey Guys!

I have been previously using a vaporizer in my engine bay, where i mix a solution of 10% pure acetone + tap water & slowly bubble this through the intake manifold via the PCV valve.

I modified this slightly to put TINY droplets of the above solution directly into the intake manifold. I repeat TINY droplets, as these have no effect on the normal running of the engine & at the same time, introduce boric acid solution in tiny quantities into the system.

Bottom Line:
It WORKS! In fact it works so good that in about 50 kms of driving, my engine has become super smooth, & at the same acclerator pedal position the rpm is about 400-500 more than before! This means that friction losses have reduced that much more! I know my engine is coated because boric solution is coming out of the exhaust & coating my polished SS exhaust tips also!

Here is a pic of the vapourizer:
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 05:19   #369
BHPian

Exclamation

Couple of queries.

Could you explain more about this vapouriser and its functioning?

A vapourizer's main function is to cool the engine & the intake manifold. Generally hypermilers run their engines ultralean, so it gets heated up quite a bit more (especially at high rpm high load conditions) compared to normal engines. So to prevent any adverse effets on long term reliability, this is used. Normal tap can also be used, but i prefer to add 7-10% acetone to this for additional power.

What modifications did you carry out?

A LOT. Read up the links on my garage.

What was the amount of the tiny droplets?

Since the tube is transparent, one can actually see the droplets going into the engine! Simply adjust it so the car does'nt run rough at any rpm! The valve is just a crack open.

Now since the PCV is functional only in a petrol engine, what is you take on the diesel engines?

Any system operated via vaccum lines is good enough. (Do NOT use the braking system though).

Could you post a picture of the full engine bay of your car?

Here is the Pic!
Attached Thumbnails
My Experience With adding Boric Acid in Engine oil-imgp4097-large.jpg  

Last edited by 1self : 22nd March 2010 at 05:27.
Old 24th March 2010, 09:01   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just a question:

How did you manage to achieve "same accelerator pedal position" to determine reduction in frictional losses. I would like to try this solution but can't be convinced by the conclusion. How do you conclude that there is a loss of friction?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 18:11   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Just a question:

How did you manage to achieve "same accelerator pedal position" to determine reduction in frictional losses. I would like to try this solution but can't be convinced by the conclusion. How do you conclude that there is a loss of friction?
When i depress the acclerator pedal, i know how much travel there is & the pressure of my foot, i see the rpm displayed at the same time (done it dozens of times).

Now at the same acclerator possition, the rpm i see is 400-500 higher. As an example instead of 1500 rpm, i see 1900-2000 rpm, so i conclude that the friction lossess have reduced.

Nothing else was changed at all except adding boric acid.

Also, i find the torque increased, i can also change over to a higher gear earlier in the rpm range than before.
Old 25th March 2010, 08:20   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When i depress the acclerator pedal, i know how much travel there is & the pressure of my foot, i see the rpm displayed at the same time (done it dozens of times).
You could try to connect the ECU to the Hyundai OBD scanner and get the position of the throttle using the values returned by the Throttle position sensor (TPS) and see if the rpm v/s throttle has increased significantly. This would have been the correct way to test it IMO. But I could be wrong.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 08:47   #373
BHPian

I tend to agree with Kiran here, you could use the OBD scanner to confirm, don't you think ?
Whats this you are playing with Vivek ? Stop this and plonk that super charger and get over with , will ya ?
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 08:33   #374
BHPian

Wow man, I did not know such a thing existed. Is it possible to add boric acid in my 2 stroke, Rx135.
Chipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 19:21   #375
BHPian

Has anyone tried this in a diesel engine? i would like to try it on my Mahindra MM540. any inputs will be appreciated.
wads78 is offline   Reply With Quote