Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 22 33.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.46%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 26.15%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th March 2010, 13:52   #376
jav
BHPian

I tried this in my indica diesel today, mixed 50gm pure boric acid with oil, after just 20kms the difference is just amazing, the pickup has improved, even with the ac on there is no drop in pick up, earlier every time ac turns on after cutting off i had to downshift or engine would become extremely sluggish especially in the afternoon heat. Also the starter has become faster when i crank the engine and engine noise has gone down especially above 3k rpm

Last edited by jav : 27th March 2010 at 13:53.
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 21:25   #377
BHPian

Dear all

If any of you have the contact number for finetuning, please PM me the same.
Very Urgent.

Thank you.
PM - B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 23:33   #378
BHPian

Hi ALL,
I have added 200 gms Boric Acid Powder in a chevrolet tavera (2 lakh kms run), with the clutch due for overhaul anytime... after 50kms of running, the engine became very silent, smooth, and the idling noise, valve clatters all dissappeared... actually, the tavera on idle feels so soft, smooth and so noiseless, that you need to confirm the idle only on physical touching only...so you can understand the smoothness...

also, i have added the boric acid powder - 20gms in my kinetic nova and honda dio scooters and also in my friends' honda unicorn. all these 2wheelers, have run almost 40k - 55k kms and the engine feels very free revving, smooth, and lastly, all the engines accelerate now very smoothly, very quick... on top gear when cruising in 70kmph in honda unicorn, if you close the accelerator, the bike rolls as though it is rolling in neutral gear, and if again the accelerator is given, the bike picks up speed, smoothly, effortlessly, and very seamingly...

the idle speed of the honda dio is so smooth, that you can count the engine beats...and the timing chain noise, valve clatter on sudden acceleration, have all gone...

Thanks finetuning for the great tips, you provide...and if you see this post, pls PM your mobile number or emailid, as i need to ask you some more doubts...

my next agenda is to add boric acid powder in the contessa engine, and also in the gearbox and differential oils...lets see what happens...

Regards to all
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 11:06   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
Hi ALL,
I have added 200 gms Boric Acid Powder in a chevrolet tavera (2 lakh kms run), with the clutch due for overhaul anytime... after 50kms of running, the engine became very silent, smooth, and the idling noise, valve clatters all dissappeared... actually, the tavera on idle feels so soft, smooth and so noiseless, that you need to confirm the idle only on physical touching only...so you can understand the smoothness...

also, i have added the boric acid powder - 20gms in my kinetic nova and honda dio scooters and also in my friends' honda unicorn. all these 2wheelers, have run almost 40k - 55k kms and the engine feels very free revving, smooth, and lastly, all the engines accelerate now very smoothly, very quick... on top gear when cruising in 70kmph in honda unicorn, if you close the accelerator, the bike rolls as though it is rolling in neutral gear, and if again the accelerator is given, the bike picks up speed, smoothly, effortlessly, and very seamingly...

the idle speed of the honda dio is so smooth, that you can count the engine beats...and the timing chain noise, valve clatter on sudden acceleration, have all gone...

Thanks finetuning for the great tips, you provide...and if you see this post, pls PM your mobile number or emailid, as i need to ask you some more doubts...

my next agenda is to add boric acid powder in the contessa engine, and also in the gearbox and differential oils...lets see what happens...

Regards to all
Any updates on this after a few months ride?

Where's Finetuning? Any info?
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 11:57   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipak1406 View Post
emptied acetone on the ground till i felt there was arround 10 ml left and emptied Boric powder approx 5 to 6 ml in the bottle - shook the bottle vigorously for 30 seconds and saw that boric powder had dissolved - emptied entire content in engine oil
Acetone in engine oil? That's a first for me, for me atleast. Will it not thin out your oil?
TheSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 14:37   #381
BHPian

friends,

i have added 300 gms boric acid IP powder into my MM540 engine, 100 gms in each front and rear differential, and another 100 gms in my mm540 gearbox.

my gear shifts had become very smooth, and at 60kmph spped, if i shift to neutral, my vehicle rolls on for a full one km, before it reduces the spped. but the point is i can feel the smoothness, and less friction on the movement...

reg the tavera, it has crossed 2.3lak kms as of today with very good pickup, very silent engine compared to other taveras, and no difference in the a/c and non a/c performance in the in-gear accelerations.

infact, after some 20,000 kms of driving the tavera, other tavera owners still ask, about its silent engine, very good pickup, and also the great 15kmpl a/c fuel efficiency.

reg the jeep mm540, updates to follow in the coming months and also another conti waiting for the boric acid powder treatment, soon...

have a nice day
Old 14th July 2010, 14:46   #382
BHPian

Hi Shekaran,

Can you give more update on the boric acid that you have added in your Honda Dio and what as the calculation that you have taken. Let me know as I plan to use boric acid on my Hero Honda Pleasure.

Generally how did you ensure that boric powder was mixed completely in the oil.

Finetuning - its been long since you have visited this thread

Regards,
Kailash
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 15:03   #383
Senior - BHPian

Am I seeing this for real?

Even I own a Unicorn whcih is now showing signs of wear, it drinks a lot of oil (engine oil) and there is considerable decrease in mileage, should I add boric acid?

If yes, how much? How, can I just add a few grams to the engine oil?
wouldn't it conk?

If it works, why aren't there any commercial applications, why dont the manufacturers themselves add this? Are there any cons?

Kindly throw some light!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 10:31   #384
mgh
BHPian

Nano-boric acid makes motor oil more slippery

might be of interest to you guys.
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 13:08   #385
BHPian

the proportion to add boric acid powder to oil is 20-40gms per litre and you can start from the min and add periodically after every 5-10kms of running...

the maximum i have added is 50gms boric acid powder to 1 litre engine oil, in my mm540 jeep...

the engine sounds good - smooth - pickup is linear, and some added benefits... i even added this powder with wheel bearing grease, which makes the vehicle glide more smoothly, and lastly...

try all these kind of experiments at your own risk, i am not responsible for any adverse effects... it worked for me, my friends - fine, but maynot work for you.... so best of luck or just stay away...

finetuning is the person, who can be asked all the intricate technical questions, i just followed his procedures, got the good benefits, and just posted my experiences, thats all folks...

have a nice weekend

Last edited by shekaran : 16th July 2010 at 13:09. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 17th July 2010, 16:31   #386

Have you gone mathematical with it! I mean have you analyzed the heat dissipation quotient before adding and after adding boric acid?
bhardwaja2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:57   #387

Hi,

Seeing the numerous successes on this forum for guys who had added Boric acid to Oil, thought of doing the same to my Honda Activa bike.

I added 20 gms of Boric Acid to 50 ml of Reliance Relstar 4T Oil ( after Oil service) and topped it up.

The changes I feel now were as reported by other members of this thread :

1) Smooth gliding
2) Improved Pickup
3) Low engine Noise

I guess with all the above 3 advantages FE might improve on the Activa where the average FE is 30 kms./ltr. of Petrol.

The Boric Acid powder used, was from the chemist It didn't fully dissolve in the motor oil; didn't try mixing it with Acetone since it wasn't available with the chemist and I was not sure if the Paint thinner ( Sheenlac brand ) at the hardware shops was really pure Acetone.
The Powder and oil mix was also kept at the Washing Machine dryer but found that it works like a centrifuge instead of a stirrer - the boric acid powder had settled down below the oil !
Best method would be to stir it by hand and pour the mix into the oil and gear sump of the Activa bike.
vu3voc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 09:36   #388
BHPian

got these yesterday through FEDEX( 982248286153 ) ....

David Zevetchin of EvergreenAmerica.com - Motor Silk Engine and Motor Treatments, Fuel Savings, Gas Savings, Biodegradable Lubricants, Greases, Fuel Additives, Gear Treatments, Aerosol Lubricants, Marine Lubricants - Save Gas with Motor Silk has been extremly helpful in getting me this...

you got to think on your own & decide what to use...

if a locally made Boric acid powder makes a difference then what about a real world tested product like MOTORSILK will do ? .. i do not wish to comment more than this....
Attached Thumbnails
My Experience With adding Boric Acid in Engine oil-picture-891.jpg  

sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 12:43   #389
Senior - BHPian

^^ did you order for all of the above or it came along with the package?
What was the landing cost of the above?
do post your experience.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 16:05   #390
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this up.

After reading about boric acid and engine oil, mixed 70-80grams of boric acid with 1 liter engine oil (15W 50)
Mixed the BA and oil properly. The oil color changed a bit but still looked OK.
Wanted to try this on our old car to see if it does anything.
I never got time to use the engine oil and completely forgot about this. This was a couple of months back.

Yesterday while digging the cupboard I found the oil+boric acid mixture and this is what had happened!
Some of the boric acid had settled at the bottom of the oil bottle.

What worries me is that if I had used this oil in the car the same thing could have happened inside the engine doing more harm than good?

Any comments on this?
Attached Thumbnails
My Experience With adding Boric Acid in Engine oil-boricacidwithengineoil.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Slow : 18th November 2010 at 16:09.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote