Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 22 33.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.46%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 26.15%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th November 2010, 16:14   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Bumping this up.

After reading about boric acid and engine oil, mixed 70-80grams of boric acid with 1 liter engine oil (15W 50)
Mixed the BA and oil properly. The oil color changed a bit but still looked OK.
Wanted to try this on our old car to see if it does anything.
I never got time to use the engine oil and completely forgot about this. This was a couple of months back.

Yesterday while digging the cupboard I found the oil+boric acid mixture and this is what had happened!
Some of the boric acid had settled at the bottom of the oil bottle.

What worries me is that if I had used this oil in the car the same thing could have happened inside the engine doing more harm than good?

Any comments on this?
I guess the oil pump would first suck in the boric acid first and then the oil
On the other hand,if boric acid is so slippery,i guess it should cause clutch slippage in bikes.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 18th November 2010 at 16:17.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 17:19   #392
BHPian

I was going through this thread and partially agree to the point that boron helps in reducing friction.

My simple query is that if by simply adding boric acid power to engine oil shows dramatic improvement then what stops oil manufacturing companies to use boron in their products?
I am sure oil manufacturers must be knowing the pros & cons of using boron as an additive.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:09   #393
BHPian

Would you guys reccommend this for a 2002 model Zen Automatic with 55,000 km on the odo? Reason i ask is because I always take suggestions from Mars and never have they mentioned this. The side effects are not too bad i hope!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 02:46   #394
BHPian

@rjalihal, Maruti doesnt recommend any engine oil additives, I guess you shouldnt try all these unless fully tested and approved by maruti itself. Zen has a very good engine and experimenting might also be dangerous.

few of them have tried on diesel engine's, but petrol engine is different isnt it, why do you want to take risk ?
johnruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 22:42   #395
BHPian

I am going to try this on my 87 model MM540. Yesterday I mixed 40 gms of boric powder, 70 ml of acetone and about 200 ml of engine oil and blended it well. Poured the concoction into the engine.

Went on a 12 km drive. No difference. So kept the engine on idle for about 10 minutes. Went on another 12 km drive. I felt the difference. Engine runs more smoothly than before. Does'nt heat up as quickly as before. Pick up has improved. I am going to drain about half a litre of engine oil and top up with half a litre of new engine oil thoroughly blended with 100 gms of boric powder.

I am planning to add about 100 gms to the gear oil in the gear box. My 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 3rd is sometimes dicey. 3rd gear does'nt engage sometimes.

I am trying the same with the differential. My differential hums a lot. Let me see if there's any improvement.

Will post the results soon.

Cheers

KD
kd7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 10:58   #396
BHPian

KD sir,
Add 100-150 grams for the gear box, another 100-150 gms for the transfer case, 150 grams each for the differentials - what i did for my mm540.
you can see the difference only after 100kms of running.
if you are cruising at 60-70kmph speed on the highways, shift abruptly to neautral and let the vehicle coast freely. my mm540 goes a full km before the speedo dips in speed. check this and pls inform me on your updates.
for the engine , do as what you had suggested. add 100gms for 1/2 litre engine oil and add, run the engine, let it heatup fully - then drive for atleast 50-80kms and then see the difference. for my mm540, i added 300gms powder in one litre engine oil, added it to the engine and then drove nonstop for some 200kms and after that trip, till now, my engine revs so freely, that some cars look at me in awe when i overtake them, which is a little unusual for a jeep. the buildup of speed - you can understand.
lastly open the top cover, in engine, (valve door), see if any residues and remove them, some powder can get stuck in valve springs looking like grease.
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 15:03   #397
BHPian

@ Shekaran,

Yes, that's what I was planning to do. Drain a little bit of oil from both the gearbox and rear differential and replace it with equal quantity of oil mixed with 100 gms boric powder. Mine's a 2WD, so only one differential.

I am buying some Castrol grease and blend it with about 100 gms boric powder and also get the wheel bearings greased.

Will let you know the developments.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:32   #398
Senior - BHPian

can i employ this for my 3k run swift ddis?
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 20:44   #399
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Do it only after reading the poll results and if and only if you dont care what you endup with, all these things are like snake oil, they do not do any good period.

Pramod
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 21:01   #400
BHPian

Boric Acid is soluble (colloidal form) in the engine oil, and forms a coating in microscopic form, onto the engine parts.
Actually such treatments are effective in old worn out engines, not on new engines (not recommended).
Google "MOTORSILK" which is the same boric acid based additive, which is PROVEN. costs 4k for one-time treatment, which is surely effective on old engines, gearboxes and differentials. its a truly commendeable product, available worldwide, but a bit costly in indian context.
Adding Boric Acid Powder in engine oil, is just 20-30% of what MOTORSILK does to your engine, so expect results proportionate to this aspect only.
What People like us do, is just simple experiments and results are varied according to individual engines and experimental procedures.
from my experiences, adding boric acid @ 50gms/litre of oil keeps my jeep, activa, a friend's tavera,unicorn - all free revving, smooth idle, linear acceleration and least of all, just 500 bucks dent in the purse. keep in mind that boric acid is used in skin cuts (remember the powder nurse applies on cuts, rashes), so what acidic nature it can do to your metal engine parts is let to the imagination of all concerned on experimenting.
shekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 01:13   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
@rjalihal, Maruti doesnt recommend any engine oil additives, I guess you shouldnt try all these unless fully tested and approved by maruti itself. Zen has a very good engine and experimenting might also be dangerous.

few of them have tried on diesel engine's, but petrol engine is different isnt it, why do you want to take risk ?
Thanks for the advice John. Yes actually the Zen engine has never given me any issues. The reason i was curious is because quite a few people in the poll stated that they noticed a significant improvement in the car's performance. Now I am not into modifying cars (i like stock) but off late i feel a little more oomph in the car dont hurt! But thanks for highlighting out the cons about experimenting. I am definitely staying away from this!

Regards,
Rohan
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 21:21   #402
BHPian

Default My Experience With adding Boric Powder Engine oil

Hi all,

Today I went to my mech with 1 litre 20/40 engine oil mixed with 100 gms of boric powder and 1/2 litre of gear oil mixed with 50 gms of boric powder.

Had him drain 1 litre of the old engine oil and pour in the new oil mixed with boric powder. Same with the gearbox, drain 1/2 a litre of old oil and pour in the new blended oil.

Started for home from Peenya, and as luck would have it (or bad luck), there was a major traffic jam stretching from Ayyappa Temple till Gangamma Circle as two Innovas had crashed head-on near Air Force Technical College. Got stuck ifor about 45 minutes. Kept the jeep on idle and did not switch off the engine. So the engine was nice and hot but no signs of over heating.

I could feel a distinct change in the performance, engine noise had mellowed down considerably from the earlier harsh clatter. The jeep lunges forward in 2nd gear at the slightest release of the clutch, the problem I had earlier with 3rd gear not engaging properly disappeared. It slips into 3rd gear easily & smoothly, both from 2nd as well as from 4th. Picks up speed so fast that I was terrified of stepping on the throttle like I used to earlier.

I am thrilled. A 23 year old jeep behaving like this ? Unbelievable !!

Am going on a long drive early tmrw morning with wifey, about 80 kms or so. Planning the same treatment with my rear differential after that.

Will post further developments.

Cheers

KD
Old 16th March 2011, 16:05   #403
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Experience With adding Boric Acid in Engine oil

This is a very very interesting thread. I will consider trying it on my classic cars ranging from 15-40 year oldies. May be in a couple of weeks I will give it a shot.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 16:16   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Why do you want to experiment with your 3K run new diesel engine? I won't even think about anything this sorts until I run the car about 1 lakh Km. You got a gem of an engine, enjoy the ride!
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 20:00   #405
BHPian

What's the take on doing this on 2 stroke vehicles? I've got couple of RXs and a scooty ES that I can experiment on. Do I just take the recommended dosage and add it to the premix (for scooty)?

This thread indicates a hard running of 30-40 kms and the temperature/pressure requirement to get BP converted to BA. Would it not make sense to disconnect the oil pump and use premix for the BP? Once the magic is done, switch back to oil pump. Suggestions will be appreciated.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote