Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED IT and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 22 33.85%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 12 18.46%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 17 26.15%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from all boron compounds!!! 14 21.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th March 2007, 00:41   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
hi fine tuning.. what do u think about graphite.. i have tried in many two stroke modifided bikes.. works wondrefully . its a solid lubricant,goes more and more slippery more the load applied.i used to litrelly coat the entire cylindre wall with it, i could use even semi seized engines at full throttle for longer times....<without seizing>
Wow Graphite now & would love to know how you did this?
Kaizer Sozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 09:52   #122
elf
BANNED

Yes. Graphite sounds interesting. Where do you source the stuff from TURBOSAM, & how do you put it in your engine?
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 17:11   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Even if some of us have aluminum block and head in our engines please read point number 10 as to what hydrated boric acid can do to your iron crank shafts and other related parts. I was planning to try this out on my Junkindica(iron block) in the morning but am having second and third and fourth thoughts after reading this article. Bye and wear your seat belts.

BORIC ACID
Condition inside engine is very different from what we can think of.......if only moisture is present then mild acidic boric acid might react with metal but with high temperature & pressure in the presence of water it doesnt remains so.....infact it converts into boric oxide layers......in no way this can be corrosive in this case......infact this micro film prevents corossion as it doesnt allow metals to come in contact with acidic formation of combuston process.....also no metal is exposed hence no oxidation.....

Hi elf,

Thanks for sharing your reading difficulties but I think what you mentioned is very different from my style of writing.....I used to go this way only after a sentence is over like we do when we talk normally.....pausing in between.....I think when we read very long para we used to miss many words & lines if reading fast.....this way I think we can avoid it.....what can I say more?...anyway I will try to change this habit....

Enjoy...
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2007, 15:04   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
hi fine tuning.. what do u think about graphite.. i have tried in many two stroke modifided bikes.. works wondrefully . its a solid lubricant,goes more and more slippery more the load applied.i used to litrelly coat the entire cylindre wall with it, i could use even semi seized engines at full throttle for longer times....<without seizing>
Hi TURBOSAM,

Graphite is good old solid lubricant which was used in automobiles until Boron discovery.....graphite is very slippery but it doesnt chemically bond to metal surface like boron and is very toxic.....the byproduct of graphite itself is corrosive to metal surface and also degrades the lubricating property of existing liquid oil......when it comes to stringent environmental norms products like graphites and molybdenum and chlorines doesnt comes into picture even though they are good lubricant....for example sulpher is good lubricant and was used in fuels till now but the current trend is using low sulpher fuel or zero sulpher fuel because of its emission charecteristics...its where this wonderful & promising powder comes into life...it doesnt degrade itself over time & improves the lubricating aspect of base lubricant.....

Enjoy....
Old 30th March 2007, 00:08   #125
BHPian

Default oil change

I had treated my engine with boric acid less than a month ago.
Earler every time i used to change my oil at around 4000 kms but this time i changed it at 2000. The oil was black on account of the carbon deposits
I added fresh oil and a fresh dose of boric acid , when i drove the car after that there was a a marked difference the engine was much more smoother & silent.
I even added boric to the gear box.
I have only driven 10-12 kms after this but the gear shifting is a bit smoother.
Old 1st April 2007, 18:21   #126
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default A few pages you might want to read

Browse through these pages especially the one about material safety data sheet where they give the amount or rather concentration in the synthetic base oil.

LuBoron - Advanced Lubrication Technology

Bye and wear your seat belts.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 19:26   #127
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default A few more contradictory pages

These guys have gone and even applied for a patent to exhibit their Boron free lubricants. If Boron was such a good thing why have they applied for a patent for their gear oil which is supposedly boron free. Though the article does mention that Boron was a requirement earlier for passing the tests they feel the detrimental properties of Boron required them to remove it completely from their new batch of lubricants. I have bought a 500gram jar of Boric acid but do not have the courage to use it on my Junkindica because of the negative write ups about it on the net.

India BigPatents -- "BORON FREE AUTOMOTIVE GEAR OIL”

Boron free automotive gear oil patent invention

Bye and wear your seat belts.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 1st April 2007 at 19:29.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 23:17   #128
BHPian

I think there is nothing negative about using boron......its the invention for lubrication without boron.....as boron contained lubricants have extremely less coefficient of friction that they easily beat industry standards.....invention goes on & on.....also if we study the scope of patents we can find them of "circuler nature" like the meaning of any word in english dictionary......they have circuler meaning.....same way patents do arise from some original ideas with & without inclusion of certain things....that makes them altogether different one......

Enjoy....
Old 2nd April 2007, 18:23   #129
BHPian

Default Boric Acid in Gear Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
No major changes except for the fact that gear shifting has become very smooth almost 'makhkhan'...
The 1st day i found very little difference in the Gear shifting, but over the next few days the difference is amazing..
The gear shifting is really smooth.
Old 3rd April 2007, 23:13   #130
BHPian

Default 1st gear problem

The gear shifting is smooth on all gears except when i have to move to 1st its very stiff but when i move to 3rd 4th or 5th even the reverse gear is extremely smooth, any reason why the 1st feels so different?
GD wonder if you faced the same problem?
Old 4th April 2007, 09:40   #131
Senior - BHPian

Actually, now that you have mentioned this, I started noticing and I find a little stiffness in shifting to 1st from a stationery position. Now, I had not noticed or paid attention before 'boricing' the gear box, so can't say for sure if the stiffness was the same or increased etc.

In any case, engaging 1st gear is little sticky most of the times. But yes, shifting to other gears is like slicing the butter with a hot knife..!! And after driving for about 1-2 Kms, the smoothness increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer Sozay View Post
The gear shifting is smooth on all gears except when i have to move to 1st its very stiff but when i move to 3rd 4th or 5th even the reverse gear is extremely smooth, any reason why the 1st feels so different?
GD wonder if you faced the same problem?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 11:12   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Actually, now that you have mentioned this, I started noticing and I find a little stiffness in shifting to 1st from a stationery position. Now, I had not noticed or paid attention before 'boricing' the gear box, so can't say for sure if the stiffness was the same or increased etc.

In any case, engaging 1st gear is little sticky most of the times. But yes, shifting to other gears is like slicing the butter with a hot knife..!! And after driving for about 1-2 Kms, the smoothness increases.
Yes the stiffness is very evident, but today morning i went for a 30 km drive and i felt the smoothness improving considerably the fact is that i have hardly driven my car for 25 kms since i have added the boric treatment. With more useage i think it will get better on the 1st gear i guess
Old 4th April 2007, 21:43   #133
BHPian

Hi Finetuning,

As I had already informed you that I have added boric to my bike in a very little quantity and wanted to tell all of the bhpians that I have really enjoyed the ride after the treatment. The bike has just changed, lot of smoothness in gear change, engine noise is lesser and less of knocking of the engine. Man this is great and would try it out in my car too (Only after meeting you )
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2007, 23:34   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi Finetuning,

As I had already informed you that I have added boric to my bike in a very little quantity and wanted to tell all of the bhpians that I have really enjoyed the ride after the treatment. The bike has just changed, lot of smoothness in gear change, engine noise is lesser and less of knocking of the engine. Man this is great and would try it out in my car too (Only after meeting you )
Gald to know that you are also a Boric Acid Fan. Have you grooved your Esteem as yet?
How are you i am back in bombay you can take another test drive in my zen.
Old 6th April 2007, 02:31   #135
BHPian

Hi Kaizer,

I think first gear is always slight stiff compard to others in stock cars......this I noticed in many cars without any such boron.....boron to work inside gear box needs high temperature and this can be achieved only by connsistant driving.....hence its always desirable to run car for at least 20 km or so after adding such things....you will never forget the smoothness of gears once this works totally....but it takes time....I m waiting to test your car as early as possible.....

Hi Kailashnj,

I think whatever amount you added is just right for your bike.....slight more not advisable....its very difficult to find right amount for bikes....you now never need to repeat this.....you can change oil after few hundred km.....but benefits will be there forever untill opening of engine...so when to meet??

Enjoy...

Last edited by finetuning : 6th April 2007 at 02:40.