Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2013, 09:54   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,365
Thanked: 13,330 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post

No anurag, cars manufactured after the date also have this issue. My friend's december 2011car also had this issue. Ishaan the car will not have the updated part that is a bet because they have not changed anything in the stockyard. I request to visit ASC as soon as possible.
So you mean to say they are neglecting and ignoring the issue even after it was found out and a bulletin issued? Let the customer fend for himself attitude.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 19:26   #32
BHPian
 
SamirD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HSV
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
No anurag, cars manufactured after the date also have this issue. My friend's december 2011car also had this issue. Ishaan the car will not have the updated part that is a bet because they have not changed anything in the stockyard. I request to visit ASC as soon as possible.
Amazing. Is there a revised part number from the defective one?

We definitely need to get a copy of that TSB posted on here. It will go a long way to help other owners get this issue fixed under warranty.
SamirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 20:43   #33
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 760 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
Amazing. Is there a revised part number from the defective one?

We definitely need to get a copy of that TSB posted on here. It will go a long way to help other owners get this issue fixed under warranty.
The part number is very long but the last digit has changed from 01 to 02.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 05:10   #34
BHPian
 
SamirD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HSV
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
The part number is very long but the last digit has changed from 01 to 02.
Suzuki part numbers seem to always have at least 10 digits, so it's not that long if you want to post it. If someone can see the existing part number on their mount, this can help them to know if the repair has been done or not.
SamirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 09:00   #35
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 760 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Something really scary happened yesterday. I was travelling at 80 km/h on the highway amd applied brakes to slow down for a lorry when all of a sudden there was a BANG and huge vibrations and it kept on on happening BANG BANG BANG till I stopped braking. Somehow managed to stop the car and saw very faint white smoke coming from the disc area on the front LHS. Tried to start of as is but when ever I presses the brakes they would lock.


So I called up the service center and the guys were there within 15 minutes. By that time the smoke was gone but the disc were still hot as you could feel the heat just by keeping your hand in front of the alloy.

The guy drove the car and said that everything seemed normal and asked me to drive it home and if I face it again he would give me a replacement car.

I think it was overheated brakes. But AFAIK overheated discs would cause brake fade and not BANG with huge vibrations. I am sure that it wasn't a tyre blowout. Any ideas what it can be?

I don't brake unnecessarily that too on a highway.

Last edited by rockporiom : 29th December 2013 at 09:02.
rockporiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 09:05   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,365
Thanked: 13,330 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Something really scary happened yesterday. I was travelling at 80 km/h on the highway amd applied brakes to slow down for a lorry when all of a sudden there was a BANG and huge vibrations and it kept on on happening BANG BANG BANG till I stopped braking. Somehow managed to stop the car and saw very faint white smoke coming from the dic area on the front LHS. Trid tp start pf as is but when ever I presses the brakes they would lock.

So I called up the service center and the guys were there within 15 minutes. By that time the smoke was gone but the disc were still hot as you could feel the heat just by keeping your hand in front of the alloy.

I think it was overheated brakes. But AFAIK overheated discs would cause brake fade and not BANG with huge vibrations. I am sure that it wasn't a tyre blowout. Any ideas what it can be?
Anything to do with something rubbing against the brake disc plate or rotors?

Any indicators on the instrumentation panel when this incident happened?

Can you give a bit more details on the vibrations felt?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 09:33   #37
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 760 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Anything to do with something rubbing against the brake disc plate or rotors?

Any indicators on the instrumentation panel when this incident happened?

Can you give a bit more details on the vibrations felt?

Anurag.
The steering started to vibrate and pull to the left. The vibrations were very severe the kind that happens in a tyre blowout. No indicators whatsoever on the dash.

The vibration was so severe that the left ORVM adjustment got spoilt I had to adjust it again. You could hear something banging against the body. I thought I had killed some animal accidentally.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th December 2013 at 16:03. Reason: Please proof read your post for spelling / grammatical errors. Thanks
rockporiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 09:39   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,365
Thanked: 13,330 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post

The steering started to vibrate and pull to the left. The vibrations were very civiour the kind that happens in a tyre blowout. No indicators whatsoever on the dash.

The vibration was so civiour that the left ORVM adjustment got spoilt I had to adjust it again. You could hear something banging against the body. I thought I had killed some animal acccidentally.
Did you hit any pothole or stone or kerb accidently?



Anurag
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 13:12   #39
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 760 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Did you hit any pothole or stone or kerb accidently?



Anurag
No way bro. It was a highway and I was travelling at a moderate speed when all this happened.
rockporiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 18:35   #40
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 818
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Something really scary happened yesterday. I was travelling at 80 km/h on the highway amd applied brakes to slow down for a lorry when all of a sudden there was a BANG and huge vibrations

Any ideas what it can be?

.
It looks like there could be a problem with the work carried out on your engine mount. Possible scenarios: (1) Defective workmanship while fixing the engine mounting leading to component failure / parts working themselves loose or (2) Brake pads developing a crack.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 02:56   #41
BHPian
 
SamirD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HSV
Posts: 28
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Something really scary happened yesterday. I was travelling at 80 km/h on the highway amd applied brakes to slow down for a lorry when all of a sudden there was a BANG and huge vibrations and it kept on on happening BANG BANG BANG till I stopped braking. Somehow managed to stop the car and saw very faint white smoke coming from the disc area on the front LHS. Tried to start of as is but when ever I presses the brakes they would lock.


So I called up the service center and the guys were there within 15 minutes. By that time the smoke was gone but the disc were still hot as you could feel the heat just by keeping your hand in front of the alloy.

The guy drove the car and said that everything seemed normal and asked me to drive it home and if I face it again he would give me a replacement car.

I think it was overheated brakes. But AFAIK overheated discs would cause brake fade and not BANG with huge vibrations. I am sure that it wasn't a tyre blowout. Any ideas what it can be?

I don't brake unnecessarily that too on a highway.
Did they take off the wheel and examine the brake caliper and the rear pad/caliper piston? I'm almost willing to bet my left nut that they screwed up the brake replacement and the caliper/pad was grinding on the rotor the whole time. The "bangs" would be the caliper piston or brake pad backing fusing with the rotor until the forces made them separate again. And this would also explain why it completely locked anytime you applied them after slowing down.

This is a very, very, very dangerous situation. It is quite apparent that your dealership doesn't care if you and your family die in some sort of fatal accident. It is time to get Maruti-Suzuki involved, and if you must drive the car, take it to a trusted performance/independent shop that is competitent in their knowledge and ethical in their dealings to repair any brake damage. Then you can get reimbursed by Maruti-Suzuki. Otherwise, driving the car is just suicide waiting to happen.
SamirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 11:13   #42
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 760 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
Did they take off the wheel and examine the brake caliper and the rear pad/caliper piston? I'm almost willing to bet my left nut that they screwed up the brake replacement and the caliper/pad was grinding on the rotor the whole time. The "bangs" would be the caliper piston or brake pad backing fusing with the rotor until the forces made them separate again. And this would also explain why it completely locked anytime you applied them after slowing down.

This is a very, very, very dangerous situation. It is quite apparent that your dealership doesn't care if you and your family die in some sort of fatal accident. It is time to get Maruti-Suzuki involved, and if you must drive the car, take it to a trusted performance/independent shop that is competitent in their knowledge and ethical in their dealings to repair any brake damage. Then you can get reimbursed by Maruti-Suzuki. Otherwise, driving the car is just suicide waiting to happen.
No, they didn't do anything they just drove it a few yards and told me everything was fine and if it happens again they will give me a replacement car. I have stopped driving the car as I am taking delivery of my silver knight today.

The brakes have yet to be replaced. Parts to arrive in jan since MSIL is closed for maintainence.

Last edited by rockporiom : 30th December 2013 at 11:17.
rockporiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 11:45   #43
BHPian
 
Shivraj88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 88
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Hi Rockporiom

Man That sounds scary!! What finally happened about the Kizashi Recall you had earlier mentioned.

I bought a White CVT Kizashi a couple of weeks ago (possibly one of the last available) and although there is a slight grinding sound from the brakes (only at very slow start stop traffic) which appear to just need a good cleaning - it is no where close to the problems you have described.

I fear your extreme situation seems to be a one off case due to improper storage of the car which led to a number of parts - carpets, engine cover etc etc. having to be changed.

I suggest you circumvent the dealers/ service stations and approach Maruti directly to resolve every problem once and for all so that you are not endangering your life while on the road.

Shivraj
Shivraj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 13:02   #44
BHPian
 
rosh_aveo1.4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin, Kerala
Posts: 531
Thanked: 286 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Dude..did you check this at any other independent garage? I mean some reputed ones. You might have warranty issues yes but this is just bloody risky. And your family just went through a bad accident lately right?
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 14:09   #45
BHPian
 
scofield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 147
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: Suzuki Kizashi: Common Steering Vibration Issue when Braking

Rockporiom,

I had such an issue while braking in my car, it was sorted once we changed the brake pads and the discs.
scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy steering vibration on idle sweet_poison Technical Stuff 18 6th August 2015 14:15
Steering wheel vibration lohithrao Technical Stuff 44 17th August 2012 22:59
Vibration of Accelerator and Steering PatienceWins Technical Stuff 6 15th April 2008 10:19
New D-segment car from the Suzuki stable - Kizashi low_bass_makker The Indian Car Scene 0 18th January 2008 10:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks