Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th October 2013, 17:10   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Electric Power Steering cutoff @ low battery

Last night I had the cabin lamp switch kept at the ON position but forgot to turn it off when i exited and locked the car. I saw my car again only at 1140AM this morning and thats when i realised the cabin light had been burning all night, so i turned it off inserted the key and tried to start the car half expecting the engine to not turn over. But the engine turned over but without vigour and it started! Then as i was about to drive off i realised the steering was too hard to turn and thats when i noticed that the power steering light was ON.

Since i was in a hurry and since i could still drive without PS I didn't bother to troubleshoot then. I knew it might be because of the weak battery or worst case a blown fuse. Like i believed after some 20Kms and after two shut down start cycle the power steering was back on line.

1) In Maruti Swift low battery state causes power steering to not function(?). Is this the same with other cars? In i10 i didn't experience this PS failure with a bad battery, the battery couldn't even turn the engine over and i had to jumpstart it, once started the PS worked fine.
2) Its hard to drive a native power steering model car in non power steering mode. This i believe is due to steering ratio optimised for PS use.
3) The steering did not get lightened up as much as i had expected even at 50 to 70kmph. Steering lightened up only under acceleration.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote