Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st July 2014, 18:01   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: All about Car Polishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
The unexpected moving of the rotary is due to the dry pads / non-prime pads / too much pressure esp for cutting pads. Its suppose to rotate on the paint surface w/o any extra support. What I follow is to spray a mist before starting each iteration so that the pad rotates smoothly, too much water can sprinkle the material all over the place.

I had primed the pad initially by covering the face of pad with product and thereby using 4 dots method to polish, I think uncontrolled movement of pad was due to wrong technique being new to rotary. At the end of the session I was better than what I was at start on using rotary.

Megs UP (filler based) and M205 does the same thing by removing the imperfections due to the compounding but later with better finish as it gives more working time than the UP. Till you finish the current stock of UP use it and once over buy M205 or any other based on the final protective sealant.

Are there 2 versions of Ultimate Polish? How do I know which one I have? AFAIK there is only one version of UP that might be a filler based or a cutting polish.
Please refer to answers in BOLD above.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 18:59   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Please refer to answers in BOLD above.

I know its a week or two old post, but just noticed.

Quote:
I had primed the pad initially by covering the face of pad with product and thereby using 4 dots method to polish, I think uncontrolled movement of pad was due to wrong technique being new to rotary. At the end of the session I was better than what I was at start on using rotary.
Uncontrolled movement of the rotary could "also" be because of not keeping the pad flat on the surface, try to keep it as flat as possible and your driving arm ( Usually right hand, if you are a right handed person ) should be relaxed. Don't worry, initially it looks tough, but give it enough time you will get there.

Quote:
Are there 2 versions of Ultimate Polish? How do I know which one I have? AFAIK there is only one version of UP that might be a filler based or a cutting polish.
M205 is the base professional grade product and UP is the consumer version of the same. If your bottle says its Ultimate Polish, what you have is just that ( UP) and cutting polish is either M105 ( Again pro series ) or Ultimate compound ( Which is consumer grade ).
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 00:26   #168
BHPian

Great thread.

I have bought all my detailing products - shampoo, mitt, microfiber cloths, jopasu duster, black shine and will buy a wax soon.

The question I want to ask my fellow BHPians: as my car is absolutely new, can I skip steps 2 (claying) and 3 (polishing) and directly go to 4 (waxing)?
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 08:05   #169
BHPian

Yes after washing and cleaning if it is a new car.
spinks_69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2014, 23:38   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
Great thread.

I have bought all my detailing products - shampoo, mitt, microfiber cloths, jopasu duster, black shine and will buy a wax soon.

The question I want to ask my fellow BHPians: as my car is absolutely new, can I skip steps 2 (claying) and 3 (polishing) and directly go to 4 (waxing)?
Even new cars have a lot of swirls. Do the polish if you can.
Myth_sx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 13:07   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Brand new car need not be polished, but I definitely recommend decontamination. Treatment of CarPro Iron-X prior to claying is also good, but it's optional - your choice depending on time/money.
New cars usually travel long distances in rusted containers before they reach the dealership. And dealers keep them parked in open air for weeks, subjecting them to the elements. Specially pollen and tree sap do not go away just by washing.
I couldn't believe what a big difference claying brought to my new (1 month old) car had when I first did this. This also helps wax/sealant to bond better to the paint.
amazer2013 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 03:58   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
Brand new car need not be polished, but I definitely recommend decontamination.ad when I first did this. This also helps wax/sealant to bond better to the paint.
Thanks. I am considering adding ONR as lube and the opti-eraser as clay to my collection.

BTW For wax, I am getting Collinite 845. Does anyone have bringingnest.in coupons to share?
wishnipon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 21:18   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I am considering adding ONR as lube and the opti-eraser as clay to my collection.

BTW For wax, I am getting Collinite 845. Does anyone have bringingnest.in coupons to share?
Good choice. I have the same set of clay lube, clay and sealant.
Try opting for ONR wash and shine. The WnW has a bit of carnauba which interferes will claying. Experts please clarify this point.

Post pics of your car post application.

IMO, bringingbest doesnt have any coupons system. Anyone has any idea about this?
Myth_sx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 12:21   #174
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: All about Car Polishing

My Punto's bonnet and roof have some scratches, thanks to the earlier washing chap who still denies having any hand in it. Anyways, everytime I wash the car the scratches seem a big eyesore and cause of heart burn. The scratches are bit longish in length. Any solutions for these scratches? My current process is dust dirt with Jopasu, Use Armorall Wash and wax shampoo, Wipe the water with MF towel, Use second MF towel for final swipe, use Formula1 quick wax spray & final swipe with a clean MF towel. Am I doing anything wrong or introducing the scratches unknowingly. Experts help.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 01:57   #175
BHPian

This is a review of a recent detailing job on my Vento TDi Highline (black)

Mods: I dunno where to post this thread as being a newbie I am unable to post it to the Team BHP Directory. Please take corrective action. Thank you.

I have been waxing / polishing my cars intermittently since 2008 with no professional help whatsoever, and learning on the go by following online advice.

My Vento TDI is close to my heart. With 28K on the odo it's always in top shape, however the last 6k have seen four road trips, one on NH1 and then till Mcleodganj(driven by me) which saw minimal damage, and then three towards UP roads till Dehradun and Bijnor (Dad with driver). The result was a deep scratch on the left hand side, from the rear fender till rear door, minor superficial scratches on the driver side door and rear door, a chipped front bumper lower end, and generally very unclean interiors. To top it all there was a industrial grade pesticide spill in the boot about 2 months back and I still haven't got rid of the "fumigated" smell.

I decided I need professional help. I live on Sohna Road in Gurgaon and there is a decent detailing shop by the name of Motostud. I have been visiting them for sometime for an occasional foam wash & wax treatment for the cars in the household. The rates are decent and the young chap who owns it (Naresh) seems a genuine guy with good level of interest in his work. (Disclaimer: Please note I am in no way affiliated to this shop besides being a customer)

My Basic concern was to get rid of the scratches, protect the paint, eliminate Swirl Marks, and rid the car of the pesticide smell. I gave him a call, explained the situation, he asked me to come over and ensured he will get rid of the swirl marks & the smell.

I opted for the full paint protection package this time. Before this I had tried their "Express Wash 1" (for the Vento - Rs 500) & "Express Wash 2" (for the Accord - Rs 700) Express 1 is basically a thorough foam wash, interior vacuuming & dashboard cleaning, Engine bay de-greasing, Wheel dressing, and a final quick polish / detailer. Express 2 is Express 1 plus interior door pockets cleaning, exterior plastics dressing and a perfume spray.

The full paint protection package included Express 2 plus Compounding, Sanding, Claying, polishing, waxing and finally Sealant application. The cost was Rs 4000/- Due to an ongoing monsoon deal got 40% off on the same plus they added removing the boot carpet, cleaning and drying it to try get rid of the chemical spill & smell.

Some pics of Motostud facility:

All about Car Polishing-img_1834.jpg

All about Car Polishing-img_1844.jpg

All about Car Polishing-img_1838.jpg

We started work at around 1 PM with Interior Vacuuming, Pre-wash, under-body cleaning, foam application, pressure wash, drying & alloy wheel dressing. Thus took about 1.5 hours. Till this time Naresh and I chatted about cars in his cabin.

By now there was an Innova which had come for a wash. My car was moved ahead below brighter lights to begin the rubbing / compounding / Sanding. Two of the four staff started work on the Innova, while two guys got on with the rubbing on my car. Another guy started with sanding the noticeable scratches with hand.

They easily took about 2 hours with this. The chemicals they used were 3M fast cut.

Then they used a foam type clay bar with some lubricant.

This was followed by an application of Malco Swirl Remover with the rotary.

At this point they moved the car to the wash area again for a light wash and drying.

They then applied by a 3M Polish, and finally applied a Malco Sealant which was left to dry off.

During this time they Vacuumed the interiors again and cleaned other plastic bits inside.

Approximately 45 minutes later the sealant was buffed to a decent shine.

Total time taken was about 6-7 hours.

End result was above average but not mind blowing.

What I liked about MotoStud:

Commitment to Quality and the effort they put in their work.

Naresh's inspection of each and every nook and cranny of my car and ensuring any problem areas are rectified.

Swirl Marks are gone, so are some of the scratches, but not the deep ones ofcourse.

What I didn't Like:

The Shine is good, but I get similar results when I polish myself using Carnauba Wax (Formula 1 - I know I am ancient but I somehow like this product and the physical effort involved in waxing a car), however it hardly lasts a couple of weeks. Now its about watching how long does this professional paint protection thing lasts.

Also, is this all there is to detailing, where's the drool worthy images we get to see in detailing videos, or am I expecting too much?

The smell of pesticide is still present (though reduced) It is driving me mad. Need expert help here. I have leather Interiors, and my car usually smells of, well leather, but now its just this damn smell. Its difficult to not open windows every twenty minutes to breathe easier. Also, my eyes sting after an hour of being in the car. An otherwise perfect ride is ruined due to this problem and I have tried everything from keeping a bowl of vinegar (to absorb the smell) for 24 hours to multiple washes, but no relief.

Here are some before and after pics of the detailing job.

All about Car Polishing-img_1828.jpg

All about Car Polishing-img_1829.jpg

All about Car Polishing-img_1765.jpg

All about Car Polishing-img_1766.jpg

All about Car Polishing-img_1823.jpg

All about Car Polishing-img_1825.jpg

All about Car Polishing-img_1827.jpg

Final Verdict:

Please understand that detailing is like going to a Spa. It makes you feel wonderful for a while about owning your set of wheels. How long the results are maintained is a different story.

There is nothing which can beat a self detailing job satisfaction!

However, when we are pressed for time, and need our rides to be pampered, it wont hurt to go to a detailing shop with decent pricing for an express foam wash treatment and a quick detailing!
Distant Second is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 16:17   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
My Punto's bonnet and roof have some scratches, thanks to the earlier washing chap who still denies having any hand in it. Anyways, everytime I wash the car the scratches seem a big eyesore and cause of heart burn. The scratches are bit longish in length. Any solutions for these scratches? My current process is dust dirt with Jopasu, Use Armorall Wash and wax shampoo, Wipe the water with MF towel, Use second MF towel for final swipe, use Formula1 quick wax spray & final swipe with a clean MF towel. Am I doing anything wrong or introducing the scratches unknowingly. Experts help.
Any dusting procedure is biggest contibutor to scratches. You should be using running water instead of dusting, followed by foam wash. Most washing chaps use plain cloth and waster and remove the dust, thus creating the scratches. You first get rid of the scratches using a good polisher or by someone who can do it for you. Then wax it, reduce the dusting frequency (or for that matter even washing frequency). Then follow a good wash regime. Paint should be good.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 20:36   #177
BHPian

Which company dual action polisher should i purchase for home (two cars) use? Please guide. Price is a concern so be as economical as possible.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st March 2016 at 20:44. Reason: Please do not post the same thing in multiple threads. We have retained this post here but deleted it from the other thread.
SDee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 21:28   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

That's why I wash car myself. Despite of training and paying 50 bucks more than others, these chaps will never pay attention. More they don't care as we do. So I do it on every Sunday, which also helps me to burn some of my fats. Others have started to do the same, now it's a kind of colonial auto fare event (currently only 3 car owners though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Second View Post
The smell of pesticide is still present (though reduced) It is driving me mad. Need expert help here. I have leather Interiors, and my car usually smells of, well leather, but now its just this damn smell. Its difficult to not open windows every twenty minutes to breathe easier. Also, my eyes sting after an hour of being in the car. An otherwise perfect ride is ruined due to this problem and I have tried everything from keeping a bowl of vinegar (to absorb the smell) for 24 hours to multiple washes, but no relief.

You can try Tea bags (dry) of your favourite favour. It will spread nice aroma as well as soak any moisture present in the car.
nit787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 21:37   #179
BHPian

Hey guys I am looking to buy a couple of products for maintaining my rides. My XUV has some light scratches and marks which I want to get rid off. I am looking for the following items:
1. Car Polish
2. Car Shampoo
3. Rubbing Compound
4. Alloys and Tire clean/Shine product

- What brand should I go for?
- What website shall I buy it from?
- Any other items that I need besides these?

Thanks
Singh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 20:58   #180
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Within 2 months of getting my polo Gt tsi its been vandalized 3 times. Ive gotten professional help in these instances, but this has happened again yesterday and with a vengance. This delinquent has even tried to scratch the sticker.

Please see the image

After reading several threads here and watching detailing videos on youtube, i now feel the urge to give this a try myself as i cant bring myself to spending 3k each time.

I dont think the clear coat has been breached as these scratches seems less deep compared to the ones that were inflicted earlier and those were removed by the pros compeletely

So

1. Would this need wet sanding or would just a compound/polish do the trick?

Be advised that im a complete newbie when it comes to detailing and the only "detailing" that i do is use Ultimata waterless wash plus and finish off with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax.

So i dont own any rotary, DA or orbital machine and will be using good old elbow grease

If it needs wet sanding, is this an easy process and can i mess it up more than how it is now due to inexperience?

Where can i source 2000 grit sandpaper that most experts on youtube recommend. Couldnt find any on autofresh.in or ultimatedetailerz

2. If this can be cleaned up with just compound or polish, can i use a single dual action product? perhaps meguiars scratch x? or would A filler based polish like Autoglym work better?

If one of you experts could guide me with regards to product choice and some tips, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Also please suggest products that are easily available in India and in smaller packs as i dont think i would need these again in the near future as I have now installed surveillance cameras which should serve as a deterrent against future vandalism

Thanks
nova9 is offline   Reply With Quote