Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 16:30   #106
BHPian

Re: All about Car Polishing

Finally, I've reached till the end of this thread after reading, digesting detailed stuff for almost three days, that too in installments!

Kudos to Pedaltothefloor for starting the series of exclusive car care threads, and all you query/answer posters that gave detailed insight to us guest readers.

Prior to this, all that I referred to was the "A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide" thread. Frankly, most of the time I used to get confused about the sequence of steps by reading some advanced user posts. There was a dire need to put those information in a structured way so that any newbie can start right from Page1.

You just did that. Thanks.
iSpoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 17:09   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
Scratch No.2, though long is not deep. My finger nail doesn't fit in it. However, I can feel when I rub my finger across it.

Thanks for pointing out that this area has thin paint. This had never occurred to me.

I have a bottle of Sonax polish. Will try rubbing with it this weekend and will post the result.
Thanks
Try this on the mirror ..based on my experience. Buy a zorrik88 spray bottle ( 60/- odd rs) . Spray liberally on a sofy cloth , immediately rub on these black marks. I can assure you 80% may vanish. no paint impact.

let us know :-)
Amazing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 22:41   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
Try this on the mirror ..based on my experience. Buy a zorrik88 spray bottle ( 60/- odd rs) . Spray liberally on a sofy cloth , immediately rub on these black marks. I can assure you 80% may vanish. no paint impact.

let us know :-)
Zorrik88 did not repair it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
1,2 3 look clearly like the rub off from a bike handle or similar but 2 will be tougher than the rest. Try what you have and see, as said go with lower aggressive approach first.These are not something that has gone deep enough to warrant a repaint so does not look that bad, 3 is not that clear though as put rightly by partha.
That said, areas like this have thin paint as it is, but with a hand polish you are not putting your paint at risk.( just to put you at ease when using something abrasive)
Tried Sonax polish. Managed to rub off Scratch-1 with lot of elbow grease. I doubt if Sonax polish contain any abrasives at all. The scratch might have got corrected due to the mild rubbing action of the MF cloth itself

For other scratches, will buy a bottle of Meg ScratchX. My god Megs products are so expensive. I hope it does it's job fairly.

On another note, my rotary polisher has arrived today. Though it claims RPM range of 600-3000, that's only without load. Under load, at 600 setting, the disc stops spinning, even with the machine's own weight of 3kgs. I was first disappointed with this, but later realized that this may be a blessing in disguise since this prevents me from burning the paint.
The machine however spins nicely when the RPM is set to >1000.
Your thoughts please.
amazer2013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 09:50   #109
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
Zorrik88 did not repair it

Tried Sonax polish. Managed to rub off Scratch-1 with lot of elbow grease. I doubt if Sonax polish contain any abrasives at all. The scratch might have got corrected due to the mild rubbing action of the MF cloth itself

For other scratches, will buy a bottle of Meg ScratchX. My god Megs products are so expensive. I hope it does it's job fairly.

On another note, my rotary polisher has arrived today. Though it claims RPM range of 600-3000, that's only without load. Under load, at 600 setting, the disc stops spinning, even with the machine's own weight of 3kgs. I was first disappointed with this, but later realized that this may be a blessing in disguise since this prevents me from burning the paint.
The machine however spins nicely when the RPM is set to >1000.
Your thoughts please.
To check if the polish has really corrected or just filled, take IPA and spray and wipe. That will remove any fillers if there are at all.
Which rotary is this? Usually anything above 1200 RPM is not recommended( unless harder paints and you are good in your skill of using it), also you must move the rotary fairly quick if you are running at high speeds. To do spot correction a minor tilt with the pad focused on that spot will work for sure. Try with hand first i would say unless you are sure of using the machine.
mkh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 11:25   #110
BHPian

Re: AG Super Resin Polish Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Product: Super Resin Polish
Manufacturer: Autoglym, UK
Price in India: Rs. 800
Thanks for the reco! Ordered one yesterday. Bill came to 800+VAT of 100=900 in Total. An employee came to my office and delivered it within a day of ordering.

Complementary car wash as well at Atria Mall, Worli at their center.

A Sponge Applicator + perfume in a carry bag was free.

Can't wait to try this out.
Attached Thumbnails
All about Car Polishing-img_20131214_084854.jpg  

All about Car Polishing-img_20131214_085103.jpg  

d_himan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 11:37   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

Thanks for the reco! Ordered one yesterday. Bill came to 800+VAT of 100=900 in Total. An employee came to my office and delivered it within a day of ordering.

Do post the before after pics, after applying this. If results are promising, i'll get one too.
Old 14th December 2013, 12:01   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please can you send me the contact details. They are not responding to e-mails. Do you know if they ship to Kerala?

Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 12:37   #113
BHPian

Quote:

I am interested as well.
Please let me know if they sell it via their shop as well.
I'm in mumbai.
Old 14th December 2013, 12:57   #114
BHPian

Quote:
You will love it. This a staple for anybody in UK who does not own a machine polisher. What is there not to like - it cleans the paint, it fills up minor paint imperfections due to the massive amount of fillers in it and finishes to a brilliant shine. It is not a cutting compound so you are not reducing your clear coat and because it is filler heavy, the effort required is much less as compared to a finishing polish or a compound. However, despite it's claim that it offers some protection; please use a good wax or sealant after the SRP. AG offers Extra Gloss Protection, which is a sealant and is compatible with SRP. Any sealant or wax will sit comfortably on top of SRP though.

I love those air freshness, they smell delicious

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 14th December 2013 at 13:00.
Old 14th December 2013, 14:27   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Do post the before after pics, after applying this. If results are promising, i'll get one too.
Sure - will do! Might take some time though - am very active in buying products, but am extremely lazy in using them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Please can you send me the contact details. They are not responding to e-mails. Do you know if they ship to Kerala?
Thanks
I got a reply the next day to the email. Do contact Anthony at 9820006062. I'm not sure about their shipping policy since I'm based out of Mumbai only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
I am interested as well.
Please let me know if they sell it via their shop as well.
I'm in mumbai.
They can courier/deliver it to where you are. A guy from their detailing center hand-delivered it to me.

Quote:
Any sealant or wax will sit comfortably on top of SRP though.

I love those air freshness, they smell delicious
Absolutely - I didn't want to do any detailing till those Swirls were masked - and I don't want to buy a DA/Rotary at this point.

Oh yes, the smell is heavenly, very fruity. At first, I thought the bottle was smelling until I noticed the hanging perfume.

Planning to put 4 Star Sealant on top and after 12 hrs, perhaps a Collinite 845 as well.

Last edited by d_himan : 14th December 2013 at 14:29.
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 15:35   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to put 4 Star Sealant on top and after 12 hrs, perhaps a Collinite 845 as well.
It's your personal choice but I would go with either 4 Star UPP or C845. Both are hybrids but in a very different way. 4 Star is an organic sealant that is rated amongst the best sealants in terms of looks. It has decent durability as well. Give it some time to grow on you. After a week or so, if you don't like the look; you can top it up with a good wax of your choice. However, topping 4Star UPP with C845 will not improve the looks as the former already looks equally good, if not better. On the other hand, if you are after durability; go with C845 and leave the UPP alone.

BTW - where did you source 4 star UPP in Mumbai from?

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 14th December 2013 at 15:47.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 15:58   #117
BHPian

So after going through exhaustively on the polishing,waxing threads.
I have narrowed it down to the following procedure.

1.Wash car with a shampoo. (Have PROKLEAR shampoo.Works very well i suppose.Will buy ONR once this one exhausts.)
2.Clay the car.(Have asked cousin to get me one from UK.Will be getting it next week.)
3.Polish with Autoglym SRP.?
4.Wax with collinite 476s.

Have i put it correctly?

Also I dont want to invest in a DA so soon.So would be going in for one in the next year.
Owning and maintaining a black car is very difficult is what i have learnt.Although Black is what it is always going to be.Sodetailing i going to be top priorities.!
manas27587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 15:59   #118
BHPian

Quote:
It's your personal choice but I would go with either 4 Star UPP or C845
BTW - where did you source 4 star UPP in Mumbai from?
Thanks! Will try 4 Star and then see if I like it - sourced a little from Ultimate Detailerz.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 09:28   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Have i put it correctly?
If you have somebody traveling from UK and willing to carry detailing supplies for you, you can ask them to carry Autoglym SRP and HD Wax for you. HD wax is also very durable but looks fantastic. The other combination that you can get from UK is Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish and Bilt Hamber Auto Balm - I have reviewed both in the polishing thread.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 16:40   #120
USJ

What a thread ! All the experts and DIY gurus, take a bow. As you can see, I am an absolute newbie and this is my first question on TBHP.

I have a Sea Gray Figo ZXi 1.4 TDCI which is now close to two years old. Although I have taken great care in ensuring that there are no scratches, off late I have noticed uniform swirl marks all around the body, especially the bonnet. I do have a Formula 1 Carnauba Paste wax which I use after washing my car with Formula 1 car shampoo. However, I am not really satisfied with the results as the swirls do not seem to go and I dont even get a long lasting shine.

Going through the wealth of information on this thread, I have somehow zeroed in on the following approach to ensure that the minor swirls are gone and my car shines like new.

1) Wash entire car with Formula 1 shampoo.
2) Get hold of Megs Ultimate Polish and a suitable pad. (need pointers for the most VFM option and possible availability in Pune)
3) Get hold of Collinite 845 sealant for after the Polishing job is done.
4) If I am not out of breath, put a coat of Formula 1 wax (Can I eliminate this step if Collinite is used?)

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all the wonderful people on TBHP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks