Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th December 2013, 09:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Sorry forgot to mentionin original post but I also got the crankcase ventilation checked. Again, no issues there as well.

I have only run 12k's since I bought the car in June this year but I plan to chnage it every 7500 kms.

Is it then worthwhile to get the head opened and check the same?

Again, thanks for the help guys.
The problem is you cannot know whether the leak is from the head or the cylinder walls . So even if you open the head its a hit or miss. Besides the costs associated with it will not be worth it. Since the oil level is dropping to half way mark on the dip stick, its not alarming . Top up the oil. What is the change interval of the oil you follow?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 18th December 2013 at 09:31.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 09:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti WagonR: Excessive oil consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The problem is you cannot know whether the leak is from the head or the cylinder walls . So even if you open the head its a hit or miss. Besides the costs associated with it will not be worth it. Like Jeroen said , if the oil loss is not significant then you can keep topping up the oil
I am planning to do the same or change the oil change interval to 5k kms but then again it is something which will remain at the back of my mind always.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 09:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to do the same or change the oil change interval to 5k kms but then again it is something which will remain at the back of my mind always.
What is your current change interval you are following?
It will also be helpful if you can identify how much oil is required to top up from the L point on the dipstick to the F point . This will help you keep a track of oil consumption
Old 18th December 2013, 10:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is your current change interval you are following?
It will also be helpful if you can identify how much oil is required to top up from the L point on the dipstick to the F point . This will help you keep a track of oil consumption
7500-8000 kms for oil change. I also got the pollution check done for the engine and all the values have come out okay. I would have assumed, if the engine was burning oil, it would have been polluting a lot more as well?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 18th December 2013 at 10:16.
Old 18th December 2013, 10:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
7500-8000 kms for oil change. I also got the pollution check done for the engine and all the values have come out okay. I would have assumed, if the engine was burning oil, it would have been polluting a lot more as well?

You can stick to the oil change interval. Top up when the level is nearing the L mark on the dip stick.

If you were getting the white smoke then your report would have shown higer values since the amount of oil burnt will be on higher side.
Old 18th December 2013, 10:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Some amount of oil consumption is expected in four stroke engines, whether car or bike. That is why it is recommended in all owner manuals to do a periodic check and top-up if required. Though normally it will be too small for us to notice, but it will still be there.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 10:52   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For mineral oils it is better to stick to 5K kms interval.

When the oil change is happening how much I'll comes out? Have you checked the quantity? 3L is the new oil quantity that you pour in. Right?!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 11:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For mineral oils it is better to stick to 5K kms interval.

When the oil change is happening how much I'll comes out? Have you checked the quantity? 3L is the new oil quantity that you pour in. Right?!

Anurag.
Wagon R takes in 3.5 liters. The last time I did the oil change, approximately 2.5 liters came out. There no oil pressure warning light in the console though.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:20   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Wagon R takes in 3.5 liters. The last time I did the oil change, approximately 2.5 liters came out. There no oil pressure warning light in the console though.
1L lost isn't a small quantity.

I had doubts in the piston rings going kaput slowly but add you shay no white smoke and the pollution check is fine it is surprising to see the oil disappear. Bermuda triangle types.

How is the underbody/under the engine look like? It is free from oil stains?

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th December 2013 at 11:21.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^ Add approx 200 ml which would have gone with the old oil filter. And perhaps another 200 ml which simply won't come out during the 10 - 15 minutes which is the maximum time any service centre will wait for the old oil to come out, if we sit on their necks. The car may not be parked exactly level too, during the draining.

I don't think the exact quantity we put in originally will ever come out.

Last edited by Gansan : 18th December 2013 at 11:25.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:26   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Add approx 200 ml which would have gone with the old oil filter. and perhaps another 200 ml which simply won't come out during the 10 - 15 minutes which is the maximum time any service centre will wait for the old oil to come out, if we sit on their necks. The car may not be parked exactly level too.

I don't think the exact quantity we put in originally will ever come out.
So you say ~400 ml is not recovered during every oil change?

Anurag.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

In all probability, yes. I have never measured the quantity of drained oil. Have you?

Edit: I usually have to do some top-up in my Splendor between oil changes, though there is no visible smoke and the engine has recently been re-built completely. And that was the case even when the bike was new as well. Though I have never had to add oil in the car. Perhaps because it's running is low - just about 4k KM in a year, when it goes for the next oil change.

Last edited by Gansan : 18th December 2013 at 11:40.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
In all probability, yes. I have never measured the quantity of drained oil. Have you?
Karizma - 1L filled (new) and old one is around 850 ml. Since I do it myself I wait, sometimes tilt the bike left & right to get the oil or add much as possible.

Never done for the Ritz, hence clueless. If there was oil consumption I will be alerted by my mechanic instantly. Will try and update.

Anurag.
Old 18th December 2013, 11:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the only sign that engine isnt in prime of its health is the black soot in the exhaust tip. Wondering what will be causing the same?
Old 18th December 2013, 11:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

^^ How about the quality of your fuel?

There is an easy way to check my theory about some oil remaining in the engine. How much oil is used for the re-fill? If you put in exactly 3.5 litres (or whatever is your supposed sump capacity), does it show an over-fill in the dip stick?

Last edited by Gansan : 18th December 2013 at 12:06.