Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 18th December 2013, 12:04   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Guys, the only sign that engine isnt in prime of its health is the black soot in the exhaust tip. Wondering what will be causing the same?
As mentioned by Gansan - fuel quality + air filter condition + fuel metering all depend on the black smoke.

Air-fuel ratio if rich will give out black smoke as the fuel injected is not completely combusted and pass out the exhaust.

Can you share the pictures of the spark plugs. It does speak out the health of the engine and solution also.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th December 2013 at 12:05.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 12:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti WagonR: Excessive oil consumption

^^May be it could be due to busted cat-con in the exhaust system? An emission test report will make it clear.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 12:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ How about the quality of your fuel?

There is an easy way to check my theory about some oil remaining in the engine. How much oil is used for the re-fill? If you put in exactly 3.5 litres (or whatever is your supposed sump capacity), does it show an over-fill in the dip stick?
Its a known fact that you cant drain out all the engine oil ! For example, in i20 diesel, the oil quantity required is 5.3 lts.Even after removing the oil filter and draining the oil till the point where the oil from the drain hole is coming down in drops, 5.3 lts would put the oil level much above the F mark on the dip stick. So i have started using 5 lts . With this the oil is just above the F mark
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 12:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As mentioned by Gansan - fuel quality + air filter condition + fuel metering all depend on the black smoke.

Air-fuel ratio if rich will give out black smoke as the fuel injected is not completely combusted and pass out the exhaust.

Can you share the pictures of the spark plugs. It does speak out the health of the engine and solution also.

Anurag.
Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the spark plug but they came out fine. There was no carbon deposit on the tip.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 13:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

The black soot at the exhaust pipe tip clearly indicates that oil is getting into the combustion chamber and getting burnt and is the reason for the drop in oil level.
In all probability the valve stem oil seals would be the culprit. Open the cylinder head and replace with genuine seals. You can also inspect the piston crown for piston condition. My opinion is not to even change the piston rings even if advised so by the garage because if needed complete overhauling can be carried out later.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th December 2013 at 13:49.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 13:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The black soot at the exhaust pipe tip clearly indicates that oil is getting into the combustion chamber and getting burnt and is the reason for the drop in oil level.
In all probability the valve stem oil seals would be the culprit. Open the cylinder head and replace with genuine seals. You can also inspect the piston crown for piston condition. My opinion is not to even change the piston rings even if advised so by the garage because if needed complete overhauling can be carried out later.
Thanks Rajeev. Also wanted to ask if MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor reading can reasonably predict the state of the cylinder compression or any problem with it?
Old 18th December 2013, 13:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also wanted to ask if MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor reading can reasonably predict the state of the cylinder compression or any problem with it?
Even a pressure gauge when screwed into the spark plug opening, can conclusively indicate cylinder compression/pressure.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th December 2013 at 14:00.
Old 18th December 2013, 14:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Even a pressure gauge when screwed into the spark plug opening, can conclusively indicate cylinder compression/pressure.
I know that but its time consuming compared to sensor based diagnostics. My question is, can MAP sensor reading be relied upon to reasonably assess the condition of compression in the cylinders?
Old 18th December 2013, 23:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that but its time consuming compared to sensor based diagnostics. My question is, can MAP sensor reading be relied upon to reasonably assess the condition of compression in the cylinders?
As the name implies it senses the Manifold Absolute Pressure or in other words the vacuum in the inlet manifold. If there is a blow back due to piston/ring/liner wear, the suction vacuum at the inlet manifold too would be less as leak-in can happen from the crank case also and the carry forward of oil to the combustion chamber. Therefore unless the wear is of a higher order there won't be any noticeable difference in suction pressure.
It may also be noted that, even passing of valves can also result in lower compression. But this will not result in increased oil consumption.
Regarding your query, real time continuous pressure monitoring of each cylinder is possible if such a system is incorporated into the engine. But such a monitoring system is not a necessity unlike MAP which is needed for proper engine performance and control.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th December 2013 at 00:04.
Old 5th May 2017, 00:13   #40

Default Chevy Beat 2011 Petrol - Burning Engine Oil

Hi bhpians. This is my first post ever. Please excuse my carelessness!

In February ​last year I purchased a used Chevy Beat 2011 Petrol run only approx 16,000 kms (verified by dealer) for Rs. 2,10,000.

The moment I turned the ignition on, Icould make out with just way it drove that the car was very poorly maintained by the first owner. On day two, I took it to the dealership for service. It had a host of issues. Nothing serious because I did get the car thoroughly​ checked up at the dealer service center post purchase. One of these problems were that the first owner had put cheap quality mineral oil of the wrong grade in the engine. I got an engine flush done and had the right oil poured in at the service center.

After this the car drove smooth and so well for 6 months, I also squeezed an FE of 11kmpl in city. I did about 6000 kms and since it was past 6 months I decided it was time for a service. Before I went in, I did a basic check at home and found that the engine oil levels were just about 1cm above the low mark. I smelled it, didn't smell burnt but the color was significantly dark, which shouldn't have been for only 6000kms.

I informed the dealership, they did a check, found no leaks and topped it up with more. It's been just a couple of months since that and today I found the same, just 1 cm above low and the color is dark brown.

Also, one day, while ambling around the car suddenly froze! Just froze! Just for a second everything went dark and the engine warning lamp came on and then everything was back to normal. I wonder what that was all about!

I'm really confused! Please advice!
swayamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 09:59   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Chevy Beat 2011 Petrol - Burning Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayamj View Post
I informed the dealership, they did a check, found no leaks and topped it up with more. It's been just a couple of months since that and today I found the same, just 1 cm above low and the color is dark brown.
Check the smoke coming out of the silencer, it could be bluish white.

Also can you idle the engine, remove the dipstick and see if you are getting any smoke from it?

I am suspecting piston rings would have worn out getting oil into the combustion chamber.

Remove the spark plugs, check the tips. It will indicate if oil is burning or no.

Quote:
the engine warning lamp came on and then everything was back to normal.
Can you please hook the car to an OBD reader and see what the issue could be as you witnessed a CEL.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th May 2017 at 10:10.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 10:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi bhpians. This is my first post ever. Please excuse my carelessness!

-----SNIP--------

I'm really confused! Please advice!
Even a 100 kms is enough to change the color of the oil.
If the level is consistently above the 1cm mark, why are you worried? You probably should get the freezing problem checked out at chevy. A fault code must have been generated and logged.

Also, did you play a premium to the dealer for the low running? 5 years and 16k seems pretty low by any standards. Yuo bought it without a test drive or a mechanical checkup???

Edit: My bad, didn't see the refilling bit. Concur with Anurag's suggestions above

Last edited by mayankk : 5th May 2017 at 10:05.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 11:09   #43

@a4anurag - Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the car idles alright. I did run the engine for a minute in the morning, then shut it off and started it with my foot on the acc pedal, no black/bluish smoke came off. Since you're suspecting piston rings, are then any sounds I should be keeping an ear out for?

@a4anurag - I will hook up an OBD and see if any fault code was logged. The spark plugs were replaced at past service, I'll check​ it out anyway!

@mayankk - Thanks for the reply, yes the oil is a cm above the low mark,. I'm worried because I filled it up and didn't run it enough for it to go so low. It should have been more than that. I'll hook up an OBD and see if any fault code was general.

No, I bought the car off an individual who had the sitting in his garage for most of it's 5 years with him. I did a few test drives and had the dealership do a mechanical check up before buying it, all they said at that time is that the car needs a service. That's all

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th May 2017 at 11:15. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
swayamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 15:15   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Before I went in, I did a basic check at home and found that the engine oil levels were just about 1cm above the low mark. I smelled it, didn't smell burnt but the color was significantly dark, which shouldn't have been for only 6000kms.

Assuming your car's past owner was completely careless, this is what I'd recommend

-Change engine oil for after 5,000kms, or even before, atleast for the first few times. The sludge and other deposits which darken a fresh oil will eventually come out. Then you can follow the normal 10k kms schedule.

-I'd not worry too much about the engine oil quantity, as long as its between the high and low marks. Just keep an eye over the level, it shouldn't vary too much with kilometers.

-Check spark plug tips for oily residue.

-Check PCV Valve. A stuck PCV valve can sometimes cause excessive oil consumption. Kindly check this properly. I have doubts on your PCV valve. Also check for excessive blow-by.

-Check exhaust for bluish smoke.

-If you are still doubtful about the oil getting burnt in the combustion chamber, get dry and wet compression test done.

If the workshop determines that oil consumption is high, it can happen because of many reasons:

- Sticky piston ring. Solution: Piston needs cleaning.

- Worn piston and cylinder

- Worn piston ring groove and ring

- Improper location of piston ring gap

- Worn or damaged valve stem seal

- Worn valve stem

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 5th May 2017 at 15:19.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 10:40   #45

Mod note: Please avoid quoting entire large posts, also avoid using acronyms and do a spell check before posting. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Assuming your car's past owner was completely careless, this is what I'd recommend
=======
- Worn valve stem

Regards,
Shashi
Hi Shashi, thanks for the reply. I did take my car in yesterday. Turns out the PCV was kind of stuck, got that fixed.

Since the previous owner was absolutely mindless and had poured poor quality mineral oil and it has left a huge carbon deposit. I had an engine flush done, poured fresh oil and also the sparks were replaced.

The car rides like new now to be honest. I'll check after 15 days to see if it has solved the issue. Thanks again!

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th May 2017 at 13:19. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts, also avoid using acronyms and do a spell check. Thanks.
swayamj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction