Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st May 2017, 13:04   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundi Xcent - Clutch Bearing worn out at 34700 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Hi Team,

I own a Petrol Hyundai Xcent and I have had it for close to 3 years now. Since last couple of days I was hearing a creaking sound from the clutch pedal whenever it was pressed or depressed. Today, I had taken the car to a Hyundai Dealer. I have been told that the bearing which takes care of the clutch when the clutch pedal is pressed/depressed has worn out and needs a replacement. I was also told that this is not covered under warranty since it is normal wear and tear.

Now, the fact of the matter is:

1. The car is not even 3 years old.
2. It has run approximately 34,700 Kms as of today.
3. I am the only person who drives the car, apart from me no one has ever touched the car.
4. I had also bought the extended warranty which is valid till the coming August'17.
5. All the services have been carried out as per the schedule and at Hyundai Authorized Dealer, Pune. The last one was a paid service carried out on 18.02.2017, I ended up paying 12127.68 Rs for a routine paid service.

** It is also important to note that the car was handed over to me by the service center in the month of Feb confirming that everything was fine with the car and suddenly in the month of May'17, I am being told that the clutch bearing has gone kaput and I need to shell another 8000.00 to get this replaced.

I have already spent 17852.00 Rs on all the four services(3 Free services & 1 Paid) and apart from this I have also spent 8000 Rs on the extended warranty for this car. Few months ago, the clock spring(Steering had some noise) of the car went berserk which was replaced under warranty after number of follow ups and wasting lots of my time & energy.

I am expecting Hyundai to replace the parts under warranty/Goodwill warranty. I have sent an email to Hyundai, India and am awaiting their reply. Would like you all to provide your inputs, please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Ashish
I'm sorry but you spent over 12k for your first paid service?

I own a 3 year old Xcent diesel too and my first paid serivce was for arounf 6700 INR if I remember correctly. But yours being petrol, shouldn't it be lesser?

PS- Check this cardekho estimate for Xcent service costs- https://www.cardekho.com/hyundai-xcent/service-cost.htm
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 13:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
I owned a Tata Indica Vista some time back, in it's 5th year I remember getting a creaking sound whenever the clutch was

Please be very sure that it is those worn out clutch bearings only that are making the noise and not the spring in the pedal. Just bend down in the foot-well and press the clutch with your hand, if you can hear the sound more clearly and loudly, the spring may be culprit.
The SA there opened the boot and showed me there was some play and a tak tak sound at the end of clutch pedal cable when ever I pressed/depressed the clutch, so I am not sure if it is just about the spring in the pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
I'm sorry but you spent over 12k for your first paid service?

I own a 3 year old Xcent diesel too and my first paid serivce was for arounf 6700 INR if I remember correctly. But yours being petrol, shouldn't it be lesser?

PS- Check this cardekho estimate for Xcent service costs- https://www.cardekho.com/hyundai-xcent/service-cost.htm
Yes, I did think I was being stupid for paying that big a amount but I ended up paying since I did not want to take chances with the extended warranty. I will share the invoice once I get hold of it, I have misplaced it, I think. I do have the service history details from Hyundai Care app which shows the amount & the date of service.

Sound when the clutch pedal is pressed?-screenshot_20170521132858.png

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st May 2017 at 18:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts together. Thanks!
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 15:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I was also told that this is not covered under warranty since it is normal wear and tear... I am expecting Hyundai to replace the parts under warranty/Goodwill warranty...
I am not sure whether you are referring to clutch release bearing. If you are, then there really isn't anything that the service centre can do about it. It is a mechanical part that is subject to a lot of stress and strain and consequently wear and tear.

Normally, even when clutch plates are replaced, the old release bearing is retained. Hence, i doubt the diagnosis. But if your SA says so and you are ready to take his word for it, there is hardly a chance for it to replaced free of cost under warranty. You will have to bear atleast the cost of the parts. Labour charges can be reduced/waived off as a goodwill gesture.

Please go through this (Clutch judder & vibrations) and also take a second opinion before going ahead.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 16:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

I own a Petrol Hyundai Xcent and I have had it for close to 3 years now. Since last couple of days I was hearing a creaking sound from the clutch pedal whenever it was pressed or depressed. Today, I had taken the car to a Hyundai Dealer. I have been told that the bearing which takes care of the clutch when the clutch pedal is pressed/depressed has worn out and needs a replacement. I was also told that this is not covered under warranty since it is normal wear and tear.
When can you hear this noise ? With the engine running or even with the engine turned off ?

If you can hear the creaking sound with the engine not running and that too only inside the cabin and not in the engine compartment then just get the clutch pedal assembly cleaned and lubricated, as mentioned by OSH.
It is a very simple fix.

If the noise is presently only while the engine is running and when the clutch is depressed then the release bearing is probably shot.
interc00led is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 18:27   #20
BHPian

A clutch bearing is a component that falls under the wear & tear umbrella..
Had it failed under say 10K/1 year, you could still have argued it failed due to a manufacturing defect.
Stop & Go traffic/riding the clutch can cause the bearing to fail early although 35K in Pune traffic is somewhat but not very early
If I were you, I would also get the friction pads checked and replaced at the same time (unless they have a lot of life left but that would be unlikely) since you are paying for the labor anyway
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 18:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
When can you hear this noise ? With the engine running or even with the engine turned off ?

If the noise is presently only while the engine is running and when the clutch is depressed then the release bearing is probably shot.
Thanks for your suggestions, I just checked it again and could hear the sound even with the engine off. I am adding the video, see if it helps to understand better. You might have to increase the volume of your phone/laptop though.

Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 22:11   #22
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
I just checked it again and could hear the sound even with the engine off. I am adding the video, see if it helps to understand better.
This is not the sound of the clutch pedal's spring I was talking about. It is way different. Your service center is correct, most probably your bearings are shot. I would advise getting it fixed before it leads to spoiling other related parts of your clutch.

On a side note, engine being on/off will not make a difference, as the spring I was talking about, is no way related to the engine. That spring is just supposed to get the pedal up again after you press it in.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 22:31   #23
BHPian

Default Re: Sound when the clutch pedal is pressed?

A weird noise has started coming out of the clutch of my 2015 City.

It happens when the clutch hits the floor and when it is about to get back to itís position. My foot does get the feel of that noise as if itís clicking on something/jerking, sometimes it doesnít happen at all (including the noise). Everything else with the clutch seems fine and I havenít felt anything wrong or had any issues driving or using the clutch, at least not yet.

Got it checked today and my SA just heard the noise once and has estimated an expenditure of 32k! I didnít even bother asking or saying anything and just left.

The car has only done 22,000 kms and most of it was done on highways. Also I am the only one who drives the car and stick to Ďonly use the clutch when neededí.

What are my options here? Has my clutch really gone kaput in less than 2 years and 25,000 kms or there is an easier solution to this?
Ruchir031 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 10:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
A weird noise has started coming out of the clutch of my 2015 City.

It happens when the clutch hits the floor and when it is about to get back to it’s position. My foot does get the feel of that noise as if it’s clicking on something/jerking, sometimes it doesn’t happen at all (including the noise).
My 45k run '10 City had a slight noise coming when the clutch was released; not always but frequently.

The A.S.S. suggested that the clutch release bearing be changed; then, they changed it without our approval (the mechanic later said that it was urgently required to be changed). Pearl Honda Gurgaon - what do you expect!

Cost 6k and the sound vanished after that.

The City is now 7 years old and close to 50k kms but the stock clutch holding up.

The 32k that you have been quoted seems to be the whole clutch assembly; absolutely not required to be changed if the clutch operation seems fine.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2017, 14:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Just opening up the Clutch assembly will cost you some 3500 in terms of labour.

Release bearing normally costs around 1500 or less.

Since you open the clutch assembly it is a good scenario to check the life of clutch and if required change the plates
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 13:19   #26
BHPian

Hi All,

My Swift 2013 Petrol, has the same problem that Devyani was facing. I press the clutch and it squeaks. Very slight but yes, noticeable ! I've had the clutch assembly replaced and covered just a few hundred kms. Total kms covered are 76800.

I was not pretty satisfied because the clutch never went back to being as smooth as it was originally, despite the parts being from an MGA store. I am assuming there was nothing that the mechanics could have done wrong because it looked like a normal plug and play sort of assembly. After the squeaking, I am wondering if there was something else that needed attention and I missed it ?

So, now that I've changed the entire clutch assembly, what could be the reason of the clutch still not getting back to smooth. And what is the squeaking sound that I hear in the cabin ? Any direction or reference to a wonderful mechanic would be highly appreciated
DeepeshKarnik is offline   Reply With Quote