Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th June 2006, 12:04   #136
BHPian

Question

Hi all, I heard that K&N have recently released the stock filter for Swift. I would like to know from you experienced guys, whether fitting a stock replacement filter will make any change in the sound of the engine. Also, what is its effect on pickup, and mileage. Thanks in advance.
buntydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 12:23   #137
Senior - BHPian

There is so much written on K&N here. Performance varies with vehicle. I know a esteem owner who gets 17kms mileage with K&N. Others get lower figurers. I guess its more psychological feeling. You have K&N, you want to drive like a race driver. You car moves faster and sounds great.

K&N works best on race environment where other mechanicals are altered to support the increased air intake. Like in bikes, bigger jets to let in more fuel to mix with the increased air intake.

Its a waste in cribbing about spending on K&N and expecting Ferrari type performance. Get a more powerful car.

Mods, please merge this with some old threads.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2006, 12:57   #138
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread merged.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 16:44   #139
Awaiting Email Confirmation

hey dragger cn u tell me which air filter shud i go in for for a zen mpfi....plus where exactly shud it b fixed relative to the engine so that the heat or dearth of ram air dont reduce the mileage....?
please pm me if u stock the parts too....
thanks
vidvai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 22:03   #140
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys is there a price list for K&N filters ? methodsonline.com isn't accessible
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 22:21   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Guys is there a price list for K&N filters ? methodsonline.com isn't accessible
@Aza the website is down, but i doubt if there is a price list available on methodsonline.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 23:32   #142
Senior - BHPian

aza pick up one of the older overdirve/autocar issues... methods had a series of ads with mrps of most replacement filters. Otherwise you can just pm me the ones you need to know i have the list with me for all replacement, univeral, FIPK, typhoon kits.

PS: we are now dealers for methods in delhi
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 14:36   #143
Senior - BHPian

And finally it happened today. Went down to Ozz One Enterprises and got a K&N Universal Performance filter installed. Thanks to Zak and Vikram_D for suggestions on the install.

There lies my OE Airfilter

K&N Filter installed.

Pretty neat job. The guy Damodhar was good enough to explain what the differences was with regards to a Universal Filter, FIPK and Typhoon kits.
Did chew his brains a lil' bit since am a novice to this, but the dude had the patience to explain.

Guys if needed I can post the break up of the pricing also.

Ride quality sure has changed and I am in love with the mild roar it produces. I drove back to office all the way to E-City and trust me the drive was pretty good.

PS : Vikram_D was told that I dint need an intake pipe and that it was needed only for a OHC and swift. The guy infact showed me some of the intake pipes in his store. Thanks for your help on this.
@Psycho if you are reading this, I am not letting you unless you find time and do the FFE for my car.
Thanks once again guys.
Old 6th December 2006, 15:12   #144
Senior - BHPian

Good setup. I wasnt sure about the intake pipe of the Baleno and hence recommended that you might need a pipe. But nice to see that you did not need it.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 15:33   #145
BHPian

Congrats!
Breakups would be appreciated.
And a few sentences on the differences would be great!!

Very clean and professional install.
AB.
babhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 16:11   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Congrats!
Breakups would be appreciated.
K & N Air Filter Universal - 4168/-
Adoptors 101/63 - 1244/-
Intake pipe and clamps - 577/- (about 4/5" long.Not really visible in the pic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
And a few sentences on the differences would be great!!
Differences that I have really experienced is in the fact that there is a noticeable change in power in the 2nd and 3rd gears. I hope you know what I mean? Dint find the need to shift to the 1st gear at traffic signals.
Once again my mind-set was tuned to the fact that I have a K&N and let me see what my car can do.
Also @ abt 2500 rpm there is a nice roar from the engine and trust me thats music to the ear.

FE havent really checked. Will do so, since am driving to Mahabs over the weekend.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 6th December 2006 at 16:12.
Old 19th April 2007, 16:47   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Went through the thread from the beginning and see that while some are for K&N (and other such filters), others feel it is a waste of money. Since there is no clear verdict, I guess it is left to an individual's discretion / judgement.

I plan to get a stock replacement K&N filter for my Baleno.
I am not looking for a performance increase. Neither am I doing it for FE (if FE increases, well and good. Will be happy as long as FE does not drop ).

My reason for going the K&N way is due to the following :
1. I drive daily through very dusty road where I feel the normal paper filter will get clogged fast & reduce air flow to engine. A properly breathing engine will perform better, right?

2. I guess if I fit a K&N, I need not do any more filter changes for the car. Since I plan to keep the car for a long, long time, I guess it would be worth the premium paid.

3. The extra growl of the engine is exciting. Would love to have that.

Now my questions :
1. Are there any other brands having stock replacement filter similar to K&N ?

2. Checked with a couple of dealers here and they quote 3500 for the K&N. A stock OEM filter is 320 bucks. Is the K&N worth the 11 times that I pay over normal filter ? Or am I better of changing the stock filter every 10K kms or so, in which process also I will end up with similar or less damage to wallet and a similarly clean-breathing engine ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 17:01   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow great post SB, I was going through not same but similar dilemma i.e. wanted to improve midrange esepcially becasue Alto's engine almost dies once AC is put on but I dont want to gain power at the cost of mileage. So I am confused between a replacement & perf filter. Also wanted to know if any oher company makes replacement filter (as I have heard that K&N though not bad are over hyped)

So am awaiting for your queries answers too

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th April 2007 at 17:03.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 17:05   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
1. Are there any other brands having stock replacement filter similar to K&N ?
Our dear pal nitrous is the best man to answer that. he has a cheaper alternative, why dont you try that ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 17:23   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

Riju, i suggest you get a heat sink (also called heat shield) between the filter and the engine. You wudnt want ur filter forcing hot air into the engine.

Anyway, thats a neat install and looks damn cool. But why the need for such a big filter? plannin on a turbo or some other heavy mod's? Just a word of advice... get the filter cleaned every 5k KMS or so as it is can gather more dust than an OE filter.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th April 2007 at 17:25.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote