Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st December 2007, 19:17   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper316 View Post
Hi,

I Had given the car for a full body wash . i have a k & n conical filter with the pipes fitted to my Red swift . i had told them to cover the k & n filter and then wash the engine, but once the wash was done the k & n filter has shrunk in the middle, you can say it been squeezed in the middle . Wanted to know if i have to replace them or is it normal . If it is normal does it harm the performance. i Can feel the sound of the car is reduced before the wash. please advice
Your service guys have damaged your filter. Probably they would have covered your filter with a plastic bag or equivalent, before washing the engine. And then forgot about it and started the car.....so there was no air for the filter to suck and it would have resulted in a shrunk filter...This could have caused serious engine damage too since your engine might have choked. I have 2 things to tell you since you observed a change in sound.
1) Get your engine checked by the service guys to make sure its fine.
2) Change your filter for sure.

Hope for the best.
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 22:17   #212
Senior - BHPian

Replace the filter to be on the safer side. Can you post a picture of the damage?

It seems that they have started the engine with the plastic cover. Get your engine checked. Would you mind sharing where you did the car wash?
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:52   #213
BHPian

Hey viper316, post a picture of the damage please.
Old 26th December 2007, 12:20   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Is it available here? If so any idea about the cost? Actually i am pretty satisfied with the performance of the short ram intake as of now, but i wouldnt mind an upgrade later on...

I have one more alternative, can i fix a longer pipe( custom made if needed) and direct the filter intake to another part within the bay, where air is colder? Also will colder air really contribute to a noticable increase in performance?
(Since i cant find dyno anywhere in bangalore to check it out for real)

With the k&N, what i actually feel for sure and noticably, is more of MBHP ( Mental BHP) hehehe
Yes. Cold Air intakes are available. The short intake pipe is good for tuning the intake resonance (in your case, looking at your pictures, it may be around 2500rpm). Putting a longer pipe and shifting the filter location changes the resonance point to a much lower rpm. Plus, if you shift the filter to a lower location inside the engine bay, the problem of dirt, rain water and slush getting on to the filter would increase.

The solution is a "shroud" to completely cover the filter (sort of the air filter box in the OE setup). K&N sells these shrouds. The intake of the shroud is a long flexible pipe which can be routed to the location just behind the bumper lights. This way, the filter is also protected (since not exposed). Plus, even during rains, the water would not get in the way of the filter. Hope this helps.

It may be possible to purchase the shroud and piping for your car as add on to the existing K&N installation. Please see K&N website. Yes. The shroud and pipes are available in India (I saw one set in Oozone Enterprises, Indira Nagar, Bangalore).
GSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 20:24   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
Yes. Cold Air intakes are available. The short intake pipe is good for tuning the intake resonance (in your case, looking at your pictures, it may be around 2500rpm). Putting a longer pipe and shifting the filter location changes the resonance point to a much lower rpm. Plus, if you shift the filter to a lower location inside the engine bay, the problem of dirt, rain water and slush getting on to the filter would increase.

The solution is a "shroud" to completely cover the filter (sort of the air filter box in the OE setup). K&N sells these shrouds. The intake of the shroud is a long flexible pipe which can be routed to the location just behind the bumper lights. This way, the filter is also protected (since not exposed). Plus, even during rains, the water would not get in the way of the filter. Hope this helps.

It may be possible to purchase the shroud and piping for your car as add on to the existing K&N installation. Please see K&N website. Yes. The shroud and pipes are available in India (I saw one set in Oozone Enterprises, Indira Nagar, Bangalore).
Hey, thank you so much GSHA, that is one of the most comprehensive replies that my query could possibly ever get!!! Awesome!!!
By the way, what exactly do you mean by resonance? At 2500 rpm, the car makes a very low bass growl, on further revving it translates into music...Is that what you mean by resonance? Actually i am rather confused with your "resonance" thingy!!!

Last edited by Torqueguru : 26th December 2007 at 20:29.
Old 26th December 2007, 21:15   #216
BHPian

Het GSHA, From what you have mentioned...is this where the intake will end up if i am making a shift to cold air intake?
Old 26th December 2007, 21:44   #217
Team-BHP Support

dont put it there. you will have a serious problem of water or something gettin in. just get something like a k&n apollo or a green storm and take the pipe to your grill. that will work the best.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 22:38   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
dont put it there. you will have a serious problem of water or something gettin in. just get something like a k&n apollo or a green storm and take the pipe to your grill. that will work the best.
But i thought theres some kind of shroud available?....(read GSHA's post)
Old 26th December 2007, 23:39   #219
Senior - BHPian

I dunno if this scare of hydrolocking the engine is justified unless the roads are waterlogged.

If you are seriously considering a CAI, why not invest in a AEM's Bypass Valve? It's not that expensive. Especially not if you would be considering an engine rebuild at some point of time.

AEM - Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 00:16   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
I dunno if this scare of hydrolocking the engine is justified unless the roads are waterlogged.

If you are seriously considering a CAI, why not invest in a AEM's Bypass Valve? It's not that expensive. Especially not if you would be considering an engine rebuild at some point of time.

AEM - Air Bypass Valve for Cold Air
Well i drive in kerala too...and during monsoons....the rivers are far sane than the roads in Cochin!!!
And yeah, going for the AEM intake means i must remove my K&N right? Or can the valve function with a k&N too? Any clue who deals in these AEM things in Bangalore?

Last edited by Torqueguru : 27th December 2007 at 00:35.
Old 27th December 2007, 08:35   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But i thought theres some kind of shroud available?....(read GSHA's post)
if you can get something like that then it would be as good as an apollo.
Old 27th December 2007, 11:43   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Het GSHA, From what you have mentioned...is this where the intake will end up if i am making a shift to cold air intake?
Probably I did not explain properly... The filter location is the same as where you have placed it now (as installed in your car). The shroud comes on top of the filter (it just encloses the filter). The intake path is a long pipe that is routed the way you have shown in your picture.

@akshay1234, you are right. If the filter is placed way down (as Torqueguru has depicted in this picture), then water / mud / slush could get in the filter.

I will try and post some pictures.
Old 27th December 2007, 11:45   #223
BHPian

M waiting for your pics GSHA...
Old 27th December 2007, 11:49   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
if you can get something like that then it would be as good as an apollo.
@akshay1234, you are absolutely right. I just figured in the K&N website that it is called the APOLLO. Thanks.

Please see website link below:

K&N Apollo Universal Cold Air Intake Systems
Old 27th December 2007, 12:06   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
@akshay1234, you are absolutely right. I just figured in the K&N website that it is called the APOLLO. Thanks.

Please see website link below:

K&N Apollo Universal Cold Air Intake Systems
the apollo is not a shroud. it is a full cold air intake.