Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th December 2007, 15:08   #241
BHPian

I think both will have same effects

Last edited by vittalnrv : 27th December 2007 at 15:12.
vittalnrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 15:16   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
I think its not a SRI,if yes where is the heat shield? All K&N Typhoons are CAI kits.
there is a typhoon without a heat shield also. and its short ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Is there a Air-conditioner in that area or what? Every part of the engine bay is gonna remain hot. Cold air enters the engine bay only when it is available in the atmosphere.
itll definately be cooler than right above the headers.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 15:33   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Hey... i have put a typhoon SRI..not CAI, so will ur opinion differ now? K&N has CAI for Apollo series right?
the apollo is a cai. you should try and change this for an apollo. if not then leave it as it is. i just saw that the pipe comes with the filter so k&n would have thought about it. the only other thing you could do is add a heat shield to the left and bottom.
Old 27th December 2007, 17:33   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the apollo is a cai. you should try and change this for an apollo. if not then leave it as it is. i just saw that the pipe comes with the filter so k&n would have thought about it. the only other thing you could do is add a heat shield to the left and bottom.
Best progress for Torqueguru is to "add" the CAI components from Apollo kit (namely, the shroud and flexible pipe).

@Torqueguru, the picture you are showing has just the heat shield to the sides (as akshay1234 has mentioned above). A full apollo kit would look like this:

The conical box is what I call the shroud. The flexible pipe is the one that is routed to near your bumper lights. The location of the filter remains as you have done in your current Short Intake setup - meaning, your blue pipe and MAF box installations remain as they are.
GSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 17:34   #245
BHPian

Heat shield...hmmm now wats that n how does it look like?
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 17:37   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHA View Post
Best progress for Torqueguru is to "add" the CAI components from Apollo kit (namely, the shroud and flexible pipe).

@Torqueguru, the picture you are showing has just the heat shield to the sides (as akshay1234 has mentioned above). A full apollo kit would look like this:

The conical box is what I call the shroud. The flexible pipe is the one that is routed to near your bumper lights. The location of the filter remains as you have done in your current Short Intake setup - meaning, your blue pipe and MAF box installations remain as they are.
Ok GSHA, but wont it conflict with the specs given by K&N, because we are actually merging 2 products here isnt it?
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 17:50   #247
BHPian

Tada... I goggled for Apollo installation pictures and got this... a reference back to T-BHP...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...pollo-c-i.html (K&N Apollo C.A.I.)

Let me read this and discuss further.
Old 28th December 2007, 12:15   #248
BHPian

One of the key advantages of the K&N CAI seems to minimize airflow distance (without convolutions as in the case of Elantra) to the engine. Plus, the layout attempts to suck cold air.

But, when I look at the CEDIA's air intake layout, I already see that the route is shortest to the engine (no convolutions). Plus, the intake tract is above the radiators and just above the front grill - a cool point to suck in air, way about any water / mud levels. In this sense, the CEDIA's intake system seems fairly good.

Regarding the "passage of air", the airfilter itself has a good surface area. Seems comparable to the surface area of a typical conical filter. [I intend to measure and calculate this sometime soon to see for sure.

The major advantage of K&N seems to be "more air allowed than stock filters" for the same surface area. Plus, K&N claims re-usability for life of car.

@akshay1234, what do you think? Is a K&N replacement for the stock panel filter (in the OE box itself) good enough in this case? Or a CAI would make a world of difference? What is your gutt feel? Have you guys seen any CEDIA's with K&N CAI installed?

@Torqueguru, Yes. After reading through this article, looks like my suggestion is mixing up two products of K&N. Now, I am doubtful about its effectivity!!??
Old 28th December 2007, 12:36   #249
Team-BHP Support

i think a cai with its pipe connected to the stock intake point will be very good since itll get the cool air from outside and the pipe to would be pretty straightforward + it would have the advantage of more air because of the k&n. i dont know what the shape of the stock replacement filter is (nor the stock filter) but i have a feeling that conicals work better.
Old 1st January 2008, 00:14   #250
BHPian

Needed some advice on this. Planing to buy a K&N CAI, maybe the Typhoon CAI or the Apollo. Own a NHC ZX. Now what are the risk factors involved and what precautions needed ? I guess the K&N CAI's have Drychargers, so the hydrolocking is avoided, does it work ?
AnniHilat0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 09:12   #251
Team-BHP Support

id say go for the apollo. it has the pipe so you can take in air from where you want. as long as the pipe mouth is high enough you dont have to worry about water.
Old 1st January 2008, 19:26   #252
BHPian

Thanks for tat Akshay. One more question, overall how much more power does a CAI deliver than a normal typhoon ? Or do they deliver the same performance ?
AnniHilat0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 20:03   #253
Team-BHP Support

IMO the performance of the apollo cai would be better than a typhoon but i cant say by how much. the reason being that it would get cold air instead of the hot air in the engine bay.
Old 1st January 2008, 20:55   #254
Team-BHP Support

Ok a weird question.

How important is the orientation of a K&N stock replacement filter. My lancer has this particular filter:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2105

Now as one can see the filter is a ribbed design and is mounted vertically in case of the lancer.

The OE filter also has a similar ribbed design. Incase of the OE filter it is specifically mentioned that the ribs should be horizontal and it goes in only in that direction.

For the K&N it appears to fit properly when the ribs are vertical. They fit in horizontally as well but you have to squeeze it in to fit.

The HM guys claim that the direction of the filter is important for correct airflow.

Anyone has any idea how it should go in.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 22:58   #255
BHPian

Default save me from the king's sword !!

A stupid question guyz ,

everywhere i hear and see , i'm told that your car will perform better if the intake air is cooler , means you have to place the filter , ( say K&N CAI filter ), as far as possible from the engine's heat , or shiled it , or wrap it in heat shieds etc . YESS SIR ! just wanna ask , does that mean my car would perfrom better on december midnights ? because the heat level inside the hood would be very different from that on a july afternoon , and also very cool air would also be rushing in from the front of the car while driving ??

reply requested
sajid33 is offline   Reply With Quote