Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th January 2010, 20:12   #331
BHPian

Absolutely no difference in performance or FE after I put in a stock replacement filter in my 2003 MPFI Esteem.

I found the K&N part number for the MPFI Esteem stock replacement filter and read through the K&N filter application webpage before I got one fixed in my car.

I paid around 5k for this and I've considered that a dead investment now.

Over the past many months I've tested for performance difference by switching between the stock and the K&N, but nothing at all - not even the much hyped 'induction roar'. I later got to know that the stock replacement filter does not do anything and some say they notice a 'marginal' difference (which i didnt notice), but is that worth 5k?

When I posted this concern on Team BHP, I was suggested a throttlebody cleaning and an engine de-carbonise, etc to complement the filter. Why would I need to replace the filter if all this would anyway improve the performance? I might as well do a complete CAI with an FFE/headers etc.

My advise is - please test it out before you go in and put down that money for a stock replacement filter.

Maybe a universal/FFE/CAI kind of thing may add performance and 'induction roar'. One thing to be wary of this fitment is the amount of fine dust that can get into the engine along with it.

So please research thoroughly before you go in for a stock replacement filter.

@sarmarishi - I could not find the part number you mentioned (RC 4550) on the K&N website. Is it the right part number?
Kairalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 22:12   #332
BHPian

After putting on a K&N Stock replacement for my 800(Carb), I Found the throttle more responsive and In gear Acceleration improved a lot. In 3rd Gear if I am traveling at 40Kmph it takes 4secs to reach 60, Previously it used to take 5-6secs.
Bumble Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 22:04   #333
BHPian

Hi,

Can anybody help me with the question that I have.

I have a ford fiesta petrol car and I am planning to go for a K&N Typhoon kit. Can that be installed on a petrol 1.4 exi ford fiesta. What will be the cost and where in Chennai can the job be carried out??
Pr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 11:24   #334
Senior - BHPian

Hey,
Any body used a "spectre" blue filter(conical)?
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 09:27   #335
Senior - BHPian

Default K&n Filter Cleaning Kit - Kerala

Guys
do you know where the above is available in Trivandrum, Kerala ?

thanks
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 12:23   #336
BHPian

K&n filters are a sheer waste of money at least on a stock . I have tried running without a filter and that didn't make much of a difference so what difference can k&n make.
Also i feel removing the stock air filter arrangement and putting a K&N can actually reduce performance at high mid range as these factory air filter boxes and their inlet length, even though they look restrictive are tuned for the engine. Only difference i felt was at red-line rpms but that too may be because the stock filter i changed was really old and dirty.
Born2Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 14:04   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Slow View Post
K&n filters are a sheer waste of money at least on a stock . I have tried running without a filter and that didn't make much of a difference so what difference can k&n make.
Also i feel removing the stock air filter arrangement and putting a K&N can actually reduce performance at high mid range as these factory air filter boxes and their inlet length, even though they look restrictive are tuned for the engine. Only difference i felt was at red-line rpms but that too may be because the stock filter i changed was really old and dirty.
Stock replacements are acknowledged for no gains, or minimal at best.what they do do(bing!!) is no replacement for the life of the vehicle.although the amount of time and effort that goes into cleaning one, you may be better of getting a replacement drop-in panel filter for 200 odd bucks.i'm sorry, but i'm assuming you used a stock replacement.try a conical,you'll see why people are gung-ho about it.not just k&n, but any brand.i'm not using a k&n m'self.Using a spectre, but i've noticed that a very different nature in the way the car reacts at different revs, as well as in th FE which has gone up by about a km per litre.
Old 13th October 2010, 15:04   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairalee View Post
@sarmarishi - I could not find the part number you mentioned (RC 4550) on the K&N website. Is it the right part number?
The part no. is correct and I got it installed long back. It is a performance filter and not a stock replacement filter. Initially I didnt feel any difference except for the lovely roar. But I realised the difference when I took it out for cleaning and fitted the car with a stock unit. There was a noticeable pick-up for the 2 days I was using the stock setup!
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 15:18   #339
BHPian

Don't these conical ones sit inside the engine bay open to the hot air. The stock ones at least have a intake mouth which is towards the front of the engine bay which takes outside colder air. Mine is a k&n stock replacement filter which fits in the factory air box. Increase in FE may be due to the hot air intake but increase in power is very unlikely is all i can say.
Old 13th October 2010, 15:35   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
T There was a noticeable pick-up for the 2 days I was using the stock setup!
You mean the pick-up was better for two days you fitted the stock unit?
One thing I never used to consider before when fitting these aftermarket filters is that the intake manifold tuning and intake air temperature which makes much more difference than free flowing air. Now i have come to respect the factory fitted air boxes which we think is very restrictive, but i think a lot of research has gone into building them.I would like some experts view on it.
Old 13th October 2010, 18:12   #341
BHPian

I have used K&N filters. Did not see any noticeable difference. Now, I'm back to replacing the OEM filter more often.

I believe using K&N cold air intake kits would make sense in the higher performance cars..
troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 08:25   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Slow View Post
Don't these conical ones sit inside the engine bay open to the hot air. The stock ones at least have a intake mouth which is towards the front of the engine bay which takes outside colder air. Mine is a k&n stock replacement filter which fits in the factory air box. Increase in FE may be due to the hot air intake but increase in power is very unlikely is all i can say.
endless discussions have happened for this,look it up.
conical does sit in the bay, but can be aligned with a custom CAI to use the same passage layout as OE airbox.

You should try it first,you'll notice the difference.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:23   #343
BHPian

I have been thinking of a K&N Typhoon Kit for my Baleno. Could someone tell me what is the model number that I have to go for and the approximate price of the same. I went through the thread and I didn't notice the model number mentioned anywhere. Maybe I missed it.
nithin_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 14:35   #344
BHPian

Default Re: K&N filters

Note from Team-BHP Support : We do NOT permit bumping up your own query. Such posts are classified as SPAM. Please do NOT inconvenience other users by bumping up your own posts.

Last edited by GTO : 6th January 2011 at 16:04.
nithin_86 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 6th January 2011, 14:59   #345
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: K&N filters

K&N site doesnt list the baleno part either,not with MS, or suzuki.
what's the addition with the induction kit?
is it the heatshield thats extra?
rest of it looks like short ram.

you could try a CAI, apollo types.
That, i think, should be available for your car.