Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th March 2011, 19:02   #361
BHPian

Default Re: K&N filters

Your experience is a one off and therefore not representative. I by no means are in love with K&N. However as a human I give credit where credit is due.

If you have made your test on a standalone ECU without adapting the mapping tables then you can render your test useless. Every professional tuner should know this, but I know from long term experience that too many seem not to know.

We have done this on a few vehicles, which two was rally cars - both in the pictures on top - However I do understand your point of tuning on the ECU. on the Sentra we did check the Air/Fuel mixture during the test, and the A/F did not change, thus there was no extra air and no need to change the ECU maps, then on the second vehicle - the Mahindra Scorpio rally car which is running with a mechanical fuel pump, there was no change in the exhaust gas temperture with no change in A/F ration - also indicating no extra air into the motor

The filter medium is very good. The cone applications are by far not the best.

On what basis do you make this statement? I think we need to have a look what is the micron spesification of the particular filter,

When you put the cone filter in a hot spot then you hardly can blame K&N for it. Also, a stationary testing is of limited use.
Another important point is to place the cone filter in the right position for flow dynamic reasons, which has to points to it, which are minimal exposure to contamination and and least turbulence as well as highest possible pressure.

I agree, one need to place any airfilter or ensure the filter receive good cool and clean air. The problem here is changing the system, mostly does not improve the cool clean air designed by the manufacturer.

To master this is a fine art, which I am trying to master on a daily basis for longer than 3 decades. It is not as straight forward as it looks on a dyno test.

Like you say, its a fine art and I beleive its not to be done as a quick power increase method done by every Tom, Dick and Harry

Rally applications have very little in common with all other applications and require measures accordingly. The cheapest way to deal with them is paper filters, but this is by no means the best application to get the best power output.

Sorry, I dont agree with this, the basics of power vs airflow vs fuel consumption stays the same for road and race cars, for the basic reason why is there motorsport?

One more point about build up of deposits. the direct injection petrol engines suffer from heavy build up on the inlet valves, which requires regular cleaning as otherwise the engine is ststematically starved of air.

Sorry, But I dont see how inlet valve deposits can be related to the airfilter system in normal applications of any filters. The compustion process effect the build up of deposits on the valves. My concern is rather the deposits placed inside the intake system, or even the dust on the intake of a turbo charger if a incorrect filter is used.
Wild_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 02:26   #362
BHPian

The debate continues on. I have used K and N filters for 10+ years, and here is my feedback.

2002 Landcruiser, Petrol. Using a factory replacement K and N, not a CAI. Performance was better on uphills, with no other noticeable benefit. Upside at 152K miles, I have never bought an air filter!

2008 Honda Civic Si: Injen CAI. Great sucking in air sound, but no seat of the pants performance was noticed!

2002 Mini Cooper S: Here is where I dynoed the car. Stock hp was 168, and with the K and N, it showed 172 hp on three runs. Maybe the increase since its a supercharged engine.

Bottom line.....looks good, sounds pretty good especially on a supercharged motor, but minor increases in performance. Also, no replacement needed.

My Civis Si has a hydro lock protective cover. If anyone in India runs the long CAI where it goes in front of the wheel, please be very careful without a hydrolock cover. I have seen a few people completely mess up their motors sucking in water.
benz220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 10:25   #363
BHPian

Even if there is a slim possiblity that you will get more power and fuel eco.... For me, I would rather stick to th standard paper filter.... just a personal point....
Old 19th March 2011, 00:51   #364
BHPian

Lets agree to one thing.... A K&N makes the engine sounding so nice!!!
Old 19th March 2011, 17:03   #365
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Card View Post
Lets agree to one thing.... A K&N makes the engine sounding so nice!!!
I agree. They do something to the sound.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 22:46   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Slow View Post
You mean the pick-up was better for two days you fitted the stock unit?
One thing I never used to consider before when fitting these aftermarket filters is that the intake manifold tuning and intake air temperature which makes much more difference than free flowing air. Now i have come to respect the factory fitted air boxes which we think is very restrictive, but i think a lot of research has gone into building them.I would like some experts view on it.
Sorry I meant that my pick-up dropped drastically. Sorry for the late reply
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 11:43   #367
BHPian

K&N users, experts - can you please clarify if the K&N replacement air filter for Tata Manza Diesel is same as Linea/ Punto. I think the K&N model number for Fiat 1.3 mjd is 33-2932 but (obviously) nothing is mentioned about Manza. From the picture of the filter, it seems to be same.

33-2932 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

Finally, I did go through a few pages on the thread but could not find a convincing answer to this. Would the experts recommend K&N replacement air filter over the stock OE filter. I am looking for some performance gains without any compromise on the longevity of the engine. Is K&N recommended for that?

Thanks in advance for replying.
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 15:21   #368
BHPian

Just installed on 1998 E220 -marked improvement in acceleration especially after 2500 RPM.

Anyone know where i can get a cleaner and re oil kit in Pune?
benz220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 21:54   #369
BHPian

Where can I get a K&N filter serviced in Mumbai, preferrabaly in/around Goregaon. I got it for my Dzire DDis. Please help.
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 07:33   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Where can I get a K&N filter serviced in Mumbai, preferrabaly in/around Goregaon. I got it for my Dzire DDis. Please help.
which is it?
replacement or conical?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 11:01   #371
BHPian

Hey Mayankk, it is a stock replacement filter. I am ok to service myself if I can get the cleaning kit. Cannot find a place where to get it done.

Thanks!
D
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:17   #372
BHPian

hey guys can anyone tell me where can i order the cleaning kit for K&N filter ??
D3NZ1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 13:51   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3NZ1L View Post
hey guys can anyone tell me where can i order the cleaning kit for K&N filter ??
Its been quite long since I have seen one being sold off the shelf here in Bangalore.Some places charge 350 bucks for cleaning the filter, while a filter cleaning kit costs around 950 bucks or so. You might wanna try your luck with a few stores in your city. Else ebay is the best option , some international sellers do ship to India.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 31st May 2011 at 13:52.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 15:17   #374
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Sorry if I am asking an repetitive question? Is there any good K & N or Green Cotton filter available for mHawk Scorpio 2.2L as a stock replacement?

Thanking in advance for your replies.
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 15:41   #375
BHPian

3 months back, I also got my stock filter with K&N thinking that it will improve performance and efficiency but I could not see any change in car performance.

On the otherhand earlier I used to get around 23+ on highway and now it has comedown to 21-22 KMPL.
micrographics is offline   Reply With Quote