Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st May 2011, 18:59   #376
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: K&N filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Hey Mayankk, it is a stock replacement filter. I am ok to service myself if I can get the cleaning kit. Cannot find a place where to get it done.

Thanks!
D
replacemets are a breeze.
you can order the kit online, and in the meantime, just tap out the xecess dirt/deposits till the kit arrives.
just tap, dont force it.
youll be good forminimum 400kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3NZ1L View Post
hey guys can anyone tell me where can i order the cleaning kit for K&N filter ??
ebay does have it.
though youll have to order from outside india.
I bought it for a 1000 bucks.
this guy is selling for usd30, more or less the same thing.
K&N Recharger Air Filter Service Kit Cleaning Kit S NEW | eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Its been quite long since I have seen one being sold off the shelf here in Bangalore.Some places charge 350 bucks for cleaning the filter, while a filter cleaning kit costs around 950 bucks or so. You might wanna try your luck with a few stores in your city. Else ebay is the best option , some international sellers do ship to India.
350????
wow!!
i've used mine for about 6 washes now, so definitely cheaper to get your own!!
man, thats a pure ripoff, 350!
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 22:51   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
replacemets are a breeze.
Hey Mayank, you have the K&N filter installed in your Fiesta? Is it a replacement filter? how good is it ?
Also, can you share the model no, and will it fit my petrol Ikon, any idea?
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 10:02   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey Mayank, you have the K&N filter installed in your Fiesta? Is it a replacement filter? how good is it ?
Also, can you share the model no, and will it fit my petrol Ikon, any idea?
Hoo boy, thats a can of worms!

No, i had the universal.
First Spectre, then k&n, now back to spectre.
so, no model number for s replacement filter.
To be frank, i dont have it placed optimally.
people tell me optimum placement will cause some difference, but hardly any that would be apparent majorly.
me?
i like the sound, and there is more of a tendency to keep hitting the sweet spot on the revband.
Fe wise, its remained the same, but my own driving pattern HAS changed quite a bit,more revs-wise, so you can draw your own conclusions.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 14:16   #379
Senior - BHPian

^^Thanks Mayank ,
looks like putting K&N is a hit and trial. I was looking for a little extra low-end grunt. Extra FE, if at all, could have been a bonus.
There is nothing concrete about these filters on the Forum. Kind off , in a fix what to do.
I'll try and find out more personally then .
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 14:36   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
350????
wow!!
i've used mine for about 6 washes now, so definitely cheaper to get your own!!
man, thats a pure ripoff, 350!
That sure is a rip off without, in my older car I had a conical intake and had got it cleaned once. Was charged 350 bucks for it and luckily theMAG found a cleaning kit for me near his place. The kit lasted for close to 12 cleaning sessions.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 17:38   #381
BHPian

Guys,

Putting a panel filter has little-or-no effect on the performance of a vehicle. Been there, done that.

In diesels (crdi), it will actually hurt performance unless suitable changes to engine management have taken place.

In N/A petrol engines, there will be loss of torque in the lower rpm range, as ignition timing is not keeping up with the better breathing capabilities of the engine. Again suitable changes to engine mgmt. is required to take full advantage of the filter.

Also, after installing the K&N filter, it would do a world of good if the bettery negative is removed for 10-15 mins, as the old short & long term fuel trims can be erased from ECU memory & new readings can be written after the engine has been started. This will considerably shorten the time the ECU needs to re-learn the fuel trims.

Last edited by 1self : 1st June 2011 at 17:46.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 17:51   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Guys,

Putting a panel filter has little-or-no effect on the performance of a vehicle. Been there, done that.

In diesels (crdi), it will actually hurt performance unless suitable changes to engine management have taken place.

In N/A petrol engines, there will be loss of torque in the lower rpm range, as ignition timing is not keeping up with the better breathing capabilities of the engine. Again suitable changes to engine mgmt. is required to take full advantage of the filter.

Also, after installing the K&N filter, it would do a world of good if the bettery negative is removed for 10-15 mins, as the old short & long term fuel trims can be erased from ECU memory & new readings can be written after the engine has been started. This will considerably shorten the time the ECU needs to re-learn the fuel trims.
although if you do forget to unplug, the world wont end , as the ECU adpats in less than a 100kms.

are you sure about the igntion timing bit?
is that a physical change that is required?

EDIt:oh. ok, you put in the re-learning bit by the time i posted.
but would still like to know about the ignition timing, please.

Last edited by mayankk : 1st June 2011 at 17:53.
Old 1st June 2011, 18:01   #383
BHPian

Quote:
although if you do forget to unplug, the world wont end , as the ECU adpats in less than a 100kms.

are you sure about the igntion timing bit?
is that a physical change that is required?

EDIt:oh. ok, you put in the re-learning bit by the time i posted.
but would still like to know about the ignition timing, please.
Mayankk, one needs to advance the ignition timing to take advantage of the better breathing capabilities of the engine. In my Elantra for example, after my breathing mods (intake, headers, exhaust) my low rpm torque completely flew out of the window, but more than made up at high rpm.

Then, one of the last mods i did on that car was to buy a used Apexi ITC (ignition timing converter). Using trial & error, i advanced my ignition timing & voila....my low rpm torque is so strong, it pulls almost like a diesel!
1self is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 15:13   #384
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, a lil help here.
considering that almost everyone here has more or less gotten a k&n install done.
When i first got my filter installed this thingummy was hanging loose post.
first time around was done in my absence, so i dont know where this came from, and what it does.
and now that the airbox is completely removed, i cant make out whereit goes or what it does.
seems to a sensor of sorts.
has a clip which attaches quite tightly, at the bottom.
does any one know this child,er, part?
i had posted this elsewhere in the forum, but that thread is getting no views or responses
Attached Thumbnails
K&N filters-dsc_0431.jpg  

K&N filters-dsc_0432.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2011, 17:16   #385
BHPian

Default VW POLO Diesel - Which Airfilter ?

I recently ordered an air filter from Ebay (K&N) and despite my massive R&D I ordered a model that was not apt. for my car (A VW POLO Diesel), but that for the Polo Petrol 1.2.

Could anyone tell me which is the correct model to be used for the Polo Diesel ?
Also, would a 57i or similar type model fit in this vehicle's hood ?

And finally if anyone would like to buy the filter I ordered, check out the classifieds please.
harpreetkanwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 02:15   #386
BHPian

I bought a Scorpio 2 months back and as part of a deal I have about 7k to spend.

Filter comes up on every discussions about accessories & mods... yes I understand the free flow and better filtering...

So, is it worth replacing the company fitted ones with in just 2 months?

How much does a KN Filter for Scorpio cost?

And do they really last life time of a car as they claim on their site?
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 07:07   #387
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Any fiber filter that requires oil for it to function optimally will mess with your air mass sensor in the short term and also with your piston rings/bore in the long term. Use oiled filters at your peril. Paper filters with a fiber top like the ones that come on the Cruze are probably the best in the market.

If you are hell bent on using oiled filters make sure to change the engine oil and engine oil filter assembly at half the usual time as it is the suspended particles in the engine oil that kill the engine over time. Cleaning the air mass sensor(or any sensor that comes in the air path) more often is a must.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 08:32   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Any fiber filter that requires oil for it to function optimally will mess with your air mass sensor in the short term and also with your piston rings/bore in the long term. Use oiled filters at your peril. Paper filters with a fiber top like the ones that come on the Cruze are probably the best in the market.

If you are hell bent on using oiled filters make sure to change the engine oil and engine oil filter assembly at half the usual time as it is the suspended particles in the engine oil that kill the engine over time. Cleaning the air mass sensor(or any sensor that comes in the air path) more often is a must.
Sorry I don't follow. So, are you suggesting not to use K&N filter?
ajitkumarlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 17:40   #389
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Sorry I don't follow. So, are you suggesting not to use K&N filter?
Yes you read right. Do not use oiled filters like K&N or any other filter from any company that requires you to oil it.

In the long term they mess with too many items in your BS3 and BS4 compliant engines. They are all fine in the short term like for use in races. The first few posts in the thread directs you to certain well meaning links. Read up those links and make a decision.

The oiled filter farce is very much similar to the oft hyped TEFLON coating on paints. Please read about Teflon coating and its application on DUPONT's website the makers of TEFLON. Once you read up how TEFLON is applied you will not waste your money on it.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 7th December 2011 at 17:42.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 17:55   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Yes you read right. Do not use oiled filters like K&N or any other filter from any company that requires you to oil it.

In the long term they mess with too many items in your BS3 and BS4 compliant engines. They are all fine in the short term like for use in races. The first few posts in the thread directs you to certain well meaning links. Read up those links and make a decision.

The oiled filter farce is very much similar to the oft hyped TEFLON coating on paints. Please read about Teflon coating and its application on DUPONT's website the makers of TEFLON. Once you read up how TEFLON is applied you will not waste your money on it.
Has this happened to you, the things youve mentioned?
What would they mess with, in a BS# vehicle, and what would failure of messed-up components cause?
I am asking, cos I have been using oil filters now for 30k kms in the current car, and 12k in my previous one.
havent faced anything so far.
Long term would be what, 50-60k?

I would really want to know , see.

Last edited by mayankk : 7th December 2011 at 18:08.