Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th October 2005, 16:43   #46
BHPian

aditya,

How much did you pay for that? and where did u get it fixed?
dmitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2005, 17:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

I was going to get K&N installed in my Swift today, the universal one.... however after reading this thread I have changed my mind!
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2005, 18:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
Hi,

I got my K&N replacement filter few weeks back on my MPFI Esteem.

i have to say the car feels definitely more responsive and is very very quick.

Reaching 100kmph is a breeze... takes only few seconds... Initial acceleration has obviously increased and so has the top end speed.

Also in city driving conditions I can easily drive at 1000 rpm at 30kmph on 4th gear with no knocking. (I also use xtra premium petrol which helps reduce knocking).

So with better airflow, acceleration increased, so has the FE, as you shift to a higher gear much quicker and frequent shifting is minimal.

For figures sake my FE has increased at least by 1 or 2kmpl (minimum). Will post the actual figures soon.

So rest your horses and please go get a K&N.
Mr. Aditya, this is just another case of MHP (mental horspower aka THINKING/FEELING that your car is "very very quick"). This is how K&N cons customers.

As a consumer, all I ask is for K&N is to publish actual dyno figures for Indian cars for which they offer products, done by a neutral external agency.

Its been nearly a month since I posted an open question. And I know there are people who deal in K&N on this forum. Has a single person bothered to answer my question?
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 12:16   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
Mr. Aditya, this is just another case of MHP (mental horspower aka THINKING/FEELING that your car is "very very quick"). This is how K&N cons customers.

As a consumer, all I ask is for K&N is to publish actual dyno figures for Indian cars for which they offer products, done by a neutral external agency.

Its been nearly a month since I posted an open question. And I know there are people who deal in K&N on this forum. Has a single person bothered to answer my question?
This is the problem, ananthkamath... Many in this world wont answer a direct and simple question based on intelligence. I laugh at my friends (victims of mindless hype) who speak of increasing their tyre size by 2", adding this and adding that. Let's take something as simple as getting brighter bulbs... Everybody wants brighter bulbs, but how many think about the heat produced and the damage that can cause on the headlight casing?

Almost 80-90% of modifications done in India adversely affect the ride quality, turning radius, fuel efficiency, safety, reliability, performance etc. of a car, kill the warranty and leave you more or less married to the mechanic doing the job on your car.

Some on here will call me a retard for this post, but I don’t care… They can even go fix a chrome bhonpoo horn found on autorickshaws on their cars for all that I care.
MrBoombastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 13:24   #50
Team-BHP Support

And the debate goes on, and it just depends on who you want to believe:

1: Magazine review of K&N

2: Mag test of K&N on a motorcycle

3: User review of K&N on a diesel 4Runner

4: Indipendent test of K&N and others vs stock fliters (Best test I've come across so far!)

5: Interesting discussion on K&N fliters on a BMW forum

6: Finally, an insight into the K&N factory itself

If you notice, all the magazine articles you come across sing praises of the filters (commercial interests??) while most independent tests show the opposite.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 13:47   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mr. Aditya, this is just another case of MHP (mental horspower aka THINKING/FEELING that your car is "very very quick").
Congratulations Mr. Kamath. You have just invented a new but sensible addition to the automotive dictionary. Just couldnt agree more with your ideology. I have driven several free flow exhaust cars where the MHP gains were several times that of BHP gains.

About K&N....well, as long as it does not decrease performance I would buy it for the sound alone.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 14:19   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Congratulations Mr. Kamath. You have just invented a new but sensible addition to the automotive dictionary. Just couldnt agree more with your ideology. I have driven several free flow exhaust cars where the MHP gains were several times that of BHP gains.

About K&N....well, as long as it does not decrease performance I would buy it for the sound alone.

GTO
Ok I agree with GTO on the sound part. I have a K&N stock replacement filter on my OHC and did 200KM/H on the test drive.... I have not tested this on the OEM filters though I think it should also be somewhere close. But what made the difference was the sound (music... rather ? ) of the engines after 3000 RPM..... it went all the way upto 7500 before the Rev Limiter came in.

there is no difference in the FE.. infact I think my stock filters may be slightly better. the car runs a bit smoother now. But if I had a second chance, I would not buy one for almost 4 grand, just for the sound part.... there definitely is no big jump in the performance or FE part as claimed by K&N.

Sri
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 14:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:

Oh Man.... so does this mean I have wasted 4.5k on nothing? Well please do let me know if this K&N replacement filter has any damaging effects on the car.

Considering paper filters that need replacement every 5000kms is this a good option if there are no harmful effects to the car? (since this needs almost no replacement)

I did post a thread before i got this fitted and well... cant complain now can i?

anyways... so much for a mental or*@$m....
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 19:06   #54
BHPian

Well...i did a search on the K&N website regarding their claims. They actually have a money back guarantee if power does not increase but that needs dynometer tests before and after the installation.

Perhaps in cars that have a conventional exhaust the back pressure might be more due to increased air flow resulting in minimal increase in performance. And perhaps we can take a statistics of MHP considering free flow + K&N cars vs conventional exhaust + K&N cars. Is it possible that we can get a dynometer test done in Indian conditions anyone?

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 19:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

From all the links posted by RTech, and also to the best of my knowledge, some things are immediately clear:

1) It isnt prudent to believe what magazines say.

2) The K&N may in fact improve airflow, but at the cost of filtration effectiveness.

3) A 10% increase in airflow will never translate into 10% power increase.

4) There is no conclusive way to prove that K&N damages engines because the effect of fine dirt and dust cannot be gauged unless such test is done.

5) This product may not be worth the money due to all the above reasons unless K&N decides to prove us wrong with tests done by an independent body.

6) If you want your air filter to work harder for you (so to speak), you need to feed it good cold air rather than hot under-hood air.

Ananth
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 19:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The K&N may in fact improve airflow, but at the cost of filtration effectiveness.
So Ananth, does the K&N provide better filtration quality (effectiveness) than the OE filter?
Old 31st October 2005, 23:51   #57
BHPian

This thread throws a whole new light on the K&N filter myth, Franky i have been using a K&N stock filter for over 8 months and i can vouch for a fact that i have got atleast 1/2 km increase in my FE. i dont rev the car a lot though.
One important point that has been raised about the cold air, in a stock filter the air entering will be cold, but i doubt in thypoon intake kind if cold air will be reaching the filter.
Yes its worrying about the point that has been raised on filtration capabilites though.
Kaizer Sozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 01:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
aditya,

How much did you pay for that? and where did u get it fixed?
I paid approx. 4.5k for the replacement filter. You can go to www.methodsonline.com and they have details of where K&N filters are available in your city. In Bangalore you can get it fixed at any reputed spares dealer.

P.S. Honestly I don't regret installing the filter. It sure does make a positive difference for me though.
Old 1st November 2005, 19:36   #59
Team-BHP Support

I feel that my mid-range characteristics have improved although Psycho mentioned tat I need to do some further work on resiting the filter. Anyway, I will let the Old Man provide his unbiased opinion on the before and after scenario
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2005, 18:48   #60
BHPian

Question Confused....

CAN ANYONE PLEASE SUM UP THE WHOLE K&N THING SO THAT NEW BUYERS CAN GET LESS CONFUSED AS TO WHETHER ONE SHOULD BUY IT OR NOT?
passionpurple is offline   Reply With Quote