Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2006, 19:01   #121
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi
However I have heard that what you need to do is disconnect the battery at night and leave it overnight, so that the programming gets erased. Then next day when you start the car the chip goes into learning mode. and you have to drive very cautiously, so that the chip can pick up your driving habits and reprogramm itself. How you Drive is how it gets tuned.

Though I never have been tried that.
they say that you disconnect the batterya nd wait for 10-15min. Tehn you reconnect it and tehn drive for 4-5kms the way you "drive", so that itl learns you style.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 08:08   #122
BHPian
 
sharathjeppu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuhaib
My experience with K&N is not at all bad. I have installed in my swift and the car performs very well. Top speed I have not tested yet.

Fues efficient - cant say 100% coz on highways I have got mileage upto 16.5kms per litter after installation of K&N (before it was giving me max of 12.5 on highways. City driving, 10 to 11 before and after.

Cleaning the K&N filter with water or blowing air will spoil it. K&N cleaning solution kit is available and I have read some where that you can even clean it with petrol but im not sure about it.
I had taken my Swift from the showroom fitted with a K&N from the dealer. Later I wrote to Maruti directly to check if my warranty gets void and they spoke to the dealer and the dealer replaced my car with the stock filter and refunded the entire money. So it is not just about companies saving money. They were agaisnt it even when I paid for it myself.

Remember that the Swift carries a 3 year warranty and even if it improves performance, its not worth giving up your warranty. Even if there is a problem totally unrelated to the Air Filter, the manufacturer may wash his hands off and say that the warranty does not hold. So if you have an engine seizure up like some of the Indica users face, you would potentially end up paying a huge price.

So, it makes sense perhaps to use this only after expiring the warranty period. The other reason why I decided against the K&N filters is because I realized that the dealer was completely clueless on servicing the K&N filters which was important considering that not re-oiling the filter properly would either result in more dust in the engine or more oil in the inlet. The biggest danger of this is ofcourse when the MAF sensor gets corrupted with oil particles from the filter which could cascade into lots of other problems. I had the K&N filter for a week and I didn't find any noticeable difference when I switched back to the stock filter.

Secondly, I have got fuel efficiency of nearly 17 kmpl oh highways with my stock filter. I think this has more to do with your average speed and the tyre pressure that you maintain. (Swifts have tubeless tyres factory fitted and the Manual says that you can increase the tyre pressure by 5 psi for continuous highway driving). Also, the car manual says that you can use any fuel over 88 Octane. Probably also make a difference in the Fuel efficiency.
sharathjeppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 14:00   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Remember that the Swift carries a 3 year warranty and even if it improves performance, its not worth giving up your warranty. Even if there is a problem totally unrelated to the Air Filter, the manufacturer may wash his hands off and say that the warranty does not hold. So if you have an engine seizure up like some of the Indica users face, you would potentially end up paying a huge price.
Big deal! Just revert back to stock air filter before u send it to service

Quote:
So, it makes sense perhaps to use this only after expiring the warranty period. The other reason why I decided against the K&N filters is because I realized that the dealer was completely clueless on servicing the K&N filters which was important considering that not re-oiling the filter properly would either result in more dust in the engine or more oil in the inlet. The biggest danger of this is ofcourse when the MAF sensor gets corrupted with oil particles from the filter which could cascade into lots of other problems. I had the K&N filter for a week and I didn't find any noticeable difference when I switched back to the stock filter.
Its proven that a K&N filter works efficiently even in 1.8 inch of dust covered on it.
Servicing the filter Once in 30000-50000 kms once is good enough.No hassles.

Last edited by nitrous : 3rd May 2006 at 14:01.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 14:08   #124
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Its proven that a K&N filter works efficiently even in 1.8 inch of dust covered on it.
.
this is wat the filter manufacturer claims ,so you can never be sure of anything ...
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 12:14   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chd
Posts: 289
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

An update here:

added K&N stock replacement filter for Baleno approx 10 days ago(ordered from methodsonline.com)

Initial impressions:

Low end has improved..( Baleno already has quite a lot of it..but i am sure the car feels quicker now..especially in the 4th gear at low rpm's and also with AC)

Have not calculated the mileage yet and also have not raced the car above 3.5k rpm ( only driving in city). Will update here once i do so. Want to race the car on the highway and also see the mileage.

As far as i am concerned i feel the car is definitely quicker now and for some odd reason i also think the the in-gear engine noise is lower.
Proof: I compare my car's performance with my friends' 2 months old bone stock pearl silver lxi.
Also yesterday late night i managed a 135 kmph between 2 round-about crossings where formerly i was never able to break the 125 kmph limit.

I did not do anything while installing the filter, just opened the tray,removed the OEM paper filter and put in the K&N. No ECU reset or battery terminal disconnection. The difference was apparent on the first drive itself.

Anyhow, will update here with mileage figures and highway excursions(at high rpm). For now i think the the INR 3290 was well spend

Last edited by imjimmy : 4th May 2006 at 12:19.
imjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 17:29   #126
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

it seems there's one opponent for the K&N filter for every proponent! i was thinking of replacing the OEM with a K&N universal filter for my corsa 1.6 (28K km) but didn't go ahead for 2 reasons - (1) i read that for any noticeable performance improvement, what's really needed is a cold air intake system, which for some reason the guy at Methods Automotive told me was not possible for the corsa; and (2) i wasn't sure if the filter would stand the Mumbai rains.

so finally i decided against the change but i am not sure if i did the right thing. has anyone heard of cold air intake system jobs for the corsa in mumbai? are the rains a problem for the K&N?
SamRao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 17:20   #127
BHPian
 
PJSPEED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 171
Thanked: Once
Thumbs up Ractive Filters (EV500)

Hi,

The pic taken from cell phone.......



Regards,
PJ
PJSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 17:35   #128
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRao
it seems there's one opponent for the K&N filter for every proponent! i was thinking of replacing the OEM with a K&N universal filter for my corsa 1.6 (28K km) but didn't go ahead for 2 reasons - (1) i read that for any noticeable performance improvement, what's really needed is a cold air intake system, which for some reason the guy at Methods Automotive told me was not possible for the corsa; and (2) i wasn't sure if the filter would stand the Mumbai rains.

so finally i decided against the change but i am not sure if i did the right thing. has anyone heard of cold air intake system jobs for the corsa in mumbai? are the rains a problem for the K&N?
Seems rain would be a problem for such a setup. And there is some sort of cover of so to rectify the problem. I also happened to hear about an air filter setup by Pete's called Carbonio intake systems. They cost 18k or so for skoda! Pumps up some bhp and are made of carbonfibre it seems.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2006, 14:37   #129
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 0 Times
Default K&N filter for baleno

...so how we install the filter is with custom made piping...which is insolated...and the filter lands up somewhere near the back of the front bumper...and hence maximum cold air intake with minimum hot air from the engine bay...and the insulation helps maintaining the cold air till it reaches the throttle body...if you do need any more info or any performance parts just feel free to pm me...cheers buddy...!![/quote]

need information for K&N filter for my baleno. tried to pm you but wasnt able to get through. can you send me your email id?

thanks
Samrat Banerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 13:00   #130
BHPian
 
dnaturallywired's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 2 Times
Unhappy K&N filters

Hey guys,

Couple of days back i got a K & N performance filter (RC 4550)fixed on my Esteem MPFI ( done 11,000 KM) . While i heard a great deal of hoopla bout great initial, pick up et all,am not too convinced with it the reason being though i experienced a bit of improved accelaration n initial pik up ( good engine roar at certain RPMs).Am confused !! Is it that i expected too much out of it or is it matter of underperformance.Also the flange is specially fabricated for Esteem and couple of friends who drove my car says it definately pulls better than the stock paper filter.

Your valuable inputs please....
dnaturallywired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 13:11   #131
BHPian
 
a4_attitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 442
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

before I comment I would like to know do you also have aftr market exhaust fitted in your car as the basic concept behind filter is increase of air intake!
thn sedning out through a bigger exhaust pipe
Cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
a4_attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 13:12   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Hey man, you may need to get used to it..but the other side is maybe you expected too much..the filter will definitely make the car breathe better..but you need to modify your car more to make it go faster..

Also, There is no fun in just the filter alone, you need more stuff like headers, improved plugs, a remapping of the ECU etc,, to go faster..

Safe driving..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 15:22   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,747 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Hey man, you may need to get used to it..but the other side is maybe you expected too much..the filter will definitely make the car breathe better..but you need to modify your car more to make it go faster..

Also, There is no fun in just the filter alone, you need more stuff like headers, improved plugs, a remapping of the ECU etc,, to go faster..

Safe driving..
i second that....

go for a header and freeflow system now and then get the plugs.... try not to rush thru with the mod's... take one step at a time so you can relish each part of the modification and you'll also know which mod is doing what to your car....

hav fun...
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 16:26   #134
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

You probably expected too much by just adding an air filter. K&N racing filters are designed to provide a 2-4% increase in the horsepower (http://www.methodsonline.com/). With esteem I dont think that would be a significant increase that would be much noticeable if you count out the sound and the better pulling power of the vehicle. Dont expect a 20-40% increase with just an air filter.
niksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 16:36   #135
BHPian
 
Knight Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

I have K&N fitted in my alto, I had a lot of expectations when I fiited it, But the result was disappointing.. The difference was 2 to 4%, Nothing else. So you have invested close to 7k for the whole setup, No marginal difference in power and a sound so mild that you should keep your ears next to the engine bay to listen to it, It does not have any effect in low revs, A slight change can be noticed in High Revs..

So what do you do???? I got headers done for my car. Perfomance has defenenitely improved.

Pm me if you need info where to get the headers done in bangalore
Knight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K&N filters & protection from water shazikon Modifications & Accessories 23 22nd December 2011 20:13
K&N Filters adityapd Technical Stuff 35 2nd November 2009 18:49
K&N filters V/S Proton filters mail4ajo Modifications & Accessories 1 25th April 2006 00:34
Does K&N Filters really enhance performance? finneyp Modifications & Accessories 2 12th December 2005 17:56
K&N Filters... help needed spdemon Modifications & Accessories 36 15th September 2005 15:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks