Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd January 2014, 17:43   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Industrial Scissor found in brand-new Punto's suspension!

Sainadh shares the following email, and asks a question at the end of this post:

Quote:
Dear Team-Bhp,

Yesterday while I was driving back, I heard metal touching noise from right rear tyre. Sound increased as I proceeded.

I stopped the vehicle and observed rear right alloy and I am shocked to find an Industrial scissor with its one leg in coil spring and another leg stretched into alloy wheel.

If I did not observe, It could have been a bigger Issue by breaking the coil spring or the alloy.

I am surprised, how did this scissor pass through lot of quality checks and PDIs?

To benefit fellow members, my advice is to add "Identify Alien Objects with the chasis of the car" to the PDI list. Please find the attached picture of scissor.

It is not correct to blame Vecto on this, I believe this incident happened in Manufacturing itself.

Thanks,
Sai
Industrial Scissor found in brand-new Punto's suspension!-31122013003.jpg

Quote:
Yesterday I did a check on the rear axle of the car and found that some rubber tear on a rod that connects to right rear wheel. I am not sure what is the functionality of this rod. Can you help me out?

Attached pictures.
Pic1: With red circle shows worn out region due to scissor placement.
Pic2: With 2 red circles, below red circle denotes worn out region, above red circle specifies that this rod was connecting to the wheel.

I thought this is a pressure pipe or something! With this scraped rubber on that rod, can it cause any system failures?
Industrial Scissor found in brand-new Punto's suspension!-02012014001.jpg

Industrial Scissor found in brand-new Punto's suspension!-img_4582.jpg2

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2014 at 09:55.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Industrial Scissor found in brand-new Punto's suspension!

Another instance of the callous attitude of the FIAT Showroom staff.

But how and why would an industrial sciccor find its place here is a bigger issue.

Sort of hillarious...Like a surgeon who forgets his forceps inside the belly
arnabchak is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite surprising. Regarding the worn out part it looks like the brake line mostly since it is part metal and part rubber.

Did someone do it purposely to sabotage the car? I doubt this could come from the assembly line. Why on earth would they use an industrial scissor in any stage of the assembly? Everything is automated and the process is clearly defined, and also the workers should strictly follow the prescribed procedure to fit parts. Really dont think they need to use a scissor anywhere, especially in and around the suspension. Guess Fiat cant be blamed for this.

Maybe they didnt do a proper PDI at the dealership, but again how can they expect a pair of scissors in the suspension components? Guess someone tried to play foul with the car and they purposely put a scissor there to cut the brake lines or ABS cable, if present.

Surgeon leaving an instrument inside the body can be related to negligence, mainly because he will be using the instrument. This case is like finding a spark plug inside a persons body and then blaming the surgeon for putting it in. This is definitely done on purpose by some anti social elements.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suspect this happened in the transportation stage - definitely a mischief by a new or young employee of the transport company.

Either that, or all Puntos have this industrial scissor lodged in to prevent the suspension from bottoming out! We know Fiat made some changes in 2012 to the suspension to increase its ground clearance. If I were a Punto owner, I would go down and check my car's suspension!
smartcat is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

How can one rule out the scissor got tossed out from the road?

Unless the transporter tied the car down and used scissor to cut it loose ??
Jaggu is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 14:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

These shears are not used in any stage of manufacturing at an automobile plant. Even tinkerers use heavier shears. These light shears are used in garment manufacturing. I would think it got caught in the tyre on the road and got thrown into the coil spring.
DerAlte is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how the pair of scissors got there but perhaps a picture before removing it would have clarified it better. In terms of which direction it was wedged in. We have seen scissors left in the engine bay during servicing, but this one looks odd. Perhaps a complete underbody check should be done during PDI too.

As mentioned earlier on this thread, it does not look like a size/ type being used inside an automobile factory.

I wonder if it is someone getting back at the car owner because he did not get the overpriced underbody treatment! just kidding
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:30   #8
BANNED

These are the more improved variants of leaf suspension systems that reduce spring rates to 65 cpm to help improve ride. Check out this link to know more. Wonder what happened to the one on the other side.

On a more serious note the only point that one can say with certainty is that it isn't supposed to be there. About how it got there, well, your guess is as good as mine. Let the wildest guess get a prize.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 3rd January 2014 at 15:33.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Does this car have seat covers? These might have been for installing seat covers. The guy fitting might have left the scissors on the rear tyre and forgotten. After fitting driving the car out would have caused the scissors to fall into the suspension assembly and get wedged.
Vid6639 is offline   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Does this car have seat covers? These might have been for installing seat covers. The guy fitting might have left the scissors on the rear tyre and forgotten. After fitting driving the car out would have caused the scissors to fall into the suspension assembly and get wedged.
Definitely looks like this for me.

Was an after market seat cover installed?
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 16:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Shears like these are usually used in cutting Vinyl and Leather, not cloth. They are like trimming shears. The ones used to trim garments are usually much smaller.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd January 2014 at 16:09.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 17:10   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

If the car was delivered with the Scissors, then it is the dealership to be blamed for a very poor PDI even assuming that the car was shipped from the factory with the unwanted scissor. It will be the dealer's responsibility until the car is delivered, such lapses are unacceptable on part of the dealer.

However, If any aftermarket modifications like seat covers were done, then lucky that the owner escaped with minor damage to the vehicle. Looks like this mostly is the case.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 17:24   #13
BHPian

Good that it was identified before any major damage. Even if it had slipped out, it could have hit someone following you at good speed, like Massa's hit from Reuben's suspension.
nim_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 17:57   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Update from Sainadh:

Quote:
Mr Sharma - CRM of Vecto - sent a technician across. He had a look in every nook and corner of the car. He said, the paint coating on the brake pipe scraped, no sensors or abs were damaged, car is completely fine. He also said, the brake pipe would be strong and in this case, no pipe breakage happened.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 06:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

No one would use a industrial scissor at the factory.
I am wondering if they need/use a scissors in the delivery truck.
No one would use it either at the dealership, as they would have ready made set covers in their accessories division.
It can be from an after market installation or an act of mischief mongers.

Luck is with Mr Sainadh, no damage was done to his cars or others.
F150 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote