Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 14:25   #76
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Hi

This is what I was looking for and this thread has helped me a lot. Kudos to everyone. I have a question and would appreciate help.

I am planning to buy a Ford Figo and the first thing I want to do is fix Fog lamps on it. I don't want very fancy stuff, just simple but effective job.

See the attached picture of what I have in mind. Now I want to know

a) Is this kind of aftermarket job possible on the Figo? Ideally, I want the lights to be inserted into the front dam. Some sort of cut and fit kind of job.

b) Will this kind of modification void the warranty of the car?

Thanks.
Attached Images
 
abhayvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 20:28   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 131
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Quote:
a) Is this kind of aftermarket job possible on the Figo? Ideally, I want the lights to be inserted into the front dam. Some sort of cut and fit kind of job.

b) Will this kind of modification void the warranty of the car?

Thanks.
Yes, it is possible. It is easy on the Figo because the switch is already present, you merely have to do the wiring.

Yes, it will void the electric warranty. But so will changing the audio system. And headlamps.
isodope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 17:49   #78
BHPian
 
joybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 46
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Fog lamps need to be yellow as said earlier by TSK. It's VIBGYOR. Iam planning to mount a set this winter on my car. lightforce are very good by expensive. Around 30k. The glass is tough and will not break easily. They come with amber/ yellow filters which one can attach to the white glass whenever required. If budget is less than Hella any day.
joybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 18:59   #79
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,641 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybird View Post
Fog lamps need to be yellow as said earlier by TSK. It's VIBGYOR. Iam planning to mount a set this winter on my car. lightforce are very good by expensive. Around 30k. The glass is tough and will not break easily. They come with amber/ yellow filters which one can attach to the white glass whenever required. If budget is less than Hella any day.
Actually, I was wrong. Yellow or white, no difference
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/phy99xx4.htm
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014, 13:21   #80
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Planning on picking up a set of fog-lights for the Thar, and have zeroed in on the Hella Comet 500 fog-lights (part # 005.750-041).

Has anyone here used these? How are they? And any ideas on where these can be sourced? They seem to be available online on e-bay and jazzmyride, but ideally I'd like to unbox them before I buy them because the website doesn't specify if it comes with the relay, stone-guard and so on.

I've asked a couple of Hella stockists in Lajpat Nagar and Prithviraj Market (who make a killing palming off driving lights as fog lights - they even showed me a catalogue with photographs of 'satisfied customers' cars' that they've been fitting them on - I'm appalled to think of the number of good folks driving around in the Delhi fog blinded by their own so-called fog-lights!) but the standard refrain is 'yeh India mein bikta nahin hai, baahar se mangwaana hoga jiske liye dedh mahina lagega'. By which time the worst of the fog would have come and gone.

Will appreciate any info coming my way.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc.wanderer View Post

Planning on picking up a set of fog-lights for the Thar, and have zeroed in on the Hella Comet 500 fog-lights (part # 005.750-041).

Has anyone here used these? How are they? And any ideas on where these can be sourced? They seem to be available online on e-bay and jazzmyride, but ideally I'd like to unbox them before I buy them because the website doesn't specify if it comes with the relay, stone-guard and so on.
Update - Checked with the jazzmyride website, and it turns out that while they specify this part number on the website sale item, they dispatch the Hella Comet 500 driving-lights (part # 005.750-051) - which is the same thing that happens at the Lajpat Nagar / Khan Mkt / Palika Kendra stores that I checked at earlier - so even the website is not an option. Checked with Bimbra too, they also only stock driving lights.

Any expert advice on how to go about sourcing fog-lights for the Thar, now that the model that I was keen on just doesn't seem to be sold in India?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Zappo : 30th November 2016 at 13:03. Reason: No back to back posts please. Use multiquote to respond to everyone in one go.
afc.wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 16:48   #81
BHPian
 
nishantbhatia84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 289
Thanked: 250 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayvir View Post
Hi

This is what I was looking for and this thread has helped me a lot. Kudos to everyone. I have a question and would appreciate help.

I am planning to buy a Ford Figo and the first thing I want to do is fix Fog lamps on it. I don't want very fancy stuff, just simple but effective job.

See the attached picture of what I have in mind. Now I want to know

a) Is this kind of aftermarket job possible on the Figo? Ideally, I want the lights to be inserted into the front dam. Some sort of cut and fit kind of job.

b) Will this kind of modification void the warranty of the car?

Thanks.
Hi,
I own a Figo and find the OEM foglamps to be more than adequate. I wouldn't recommend going for an aftermarket fitmet - specially the way you want as:
1. It will involve drilling a lot of holes for brackets, etc. into a brand new car, as the plastic cover you're looking to fit them on is not strong enough to hold fog lamps.
2. From my experience, changing headlamp bulbs (without relay) and installing an aftermarket music system doesn't really draw the attention of the Auth SS guys reg. warranty, but a fitment like large fog lamps surely will!

I suggest you check out the fog lamps of the Figo during a test drive to check them out urself!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 21:38   #82
BHPian
 
bijubalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 58
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
!

A fog lamp is not defined as "yellow", but as a lamp that produces a very wide bar of light with minimal-to-no uplight and a sharp horizontal cutoff. What determines a good fog lamp is amount of uplight (less is better)!
Hi Ram,

So does that mean that the wider fog lamps (old vernas ) would be more effective than the taller ones (new creta)? If yes, then what would be the design intent for the taller ones?

Thanks
bijubalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 12:14   #83
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Hello Everyone,

I find my baleno's (new 2015 model) headlights inadequate during nights. I live in Delhi and planning to visit Jaipur in year end when we can expect dense fog. Can you please help me if installing fog lamps (MGP) would help. What would be the cost and how helpful will it be? I have no idea about the options available.

Thanks for the suggestions
sameer.ahuja81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 14:49   #84
BANNED
 
revharder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 460
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer.ahuja81 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I find my baleno's (new 2015 model) headlights inadequate during nights. I live in Delhi and planning to visit Jaipur in year end when we can expect dense fog. Can you please help me if installing fog lamps (MGP) would help. What would be the cost and how helpful will it be? I have no idea about the options available.

Thanks for the suggestions
MGP or else, driving in dense/heavy fog should be avoided.

If not possible to avoid it, you may get your standard headlamp bulbs (H4, I guess) replaced with the ones with yellow tint. Same wattage will make it a Plug-n-Play stuff. Something like this.

Drive slow and carefully with low beam and you should be able to survive the fog.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 15:20   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,312
Thanked: 1,043 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer.ahuja81 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I find my baleno's (new 2015 model) headlights inadequate during nights. I live in Delhi and planning to visit Jaipur in year end when we can expect dense fog. Can you please help me if installing fog lamps (MGP) would help. What would be the cost and how helpful will it be? I have no idea about the options available.

Thanks for the suggestions
The MGP fog lamps are not of much use and are better be avoided. They light up upto 4-5 feet in front of the car which is inadequate unless you are moving at crawling speeds. I have them on my WagonR VXi while my friend has them his Baleno Alpha. You are better off with after market options.

Last edited by ashis89 : 30th November 2016 at 15:23.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 15:01   #86
BHPian
 
Majumdarda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 720
Thanked: 411 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

I have a question with regards to the stock fog lamps in a typical hatchback.

Do they all have similar bulbs with same mount points?

Basically I just want to upgrade the bulbs without changing the mount points or anything! Also if possible, please suggest suitable alternatives.
Majumdarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 15:33   #87
OSH
BHPian
 
OSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 194
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Use of Fog lights in cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Do they all have similar bulbs with same mount points ?
Just like your headlights these foglamp bulbs also have a type, H11 is the most common.

So in order to upgrade your bulbs you have to first check what is the type of bulb used in the car, check the owners manual for this. Then, you can get all the different types of bulbs, more powerfull ones, different colour tones etc.

The mounting points of the foglamp assembly doesn't matter because irrespective of the mounts, the bulb holders are fairly standard. This holds true not only for hatchbacks but also for sedans, SUVs and the others.

Post your bulb type and requirements here (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

Last edited by OSH : 21st October 2017 at 15:39.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are Fog lights banned? prince1a The Indian Car Scene 57 30th November 2016 14:44
Fog lamps without fog dushmish Street Experiences 113 5th January 2012 12:51
Wanted: Fog lights for Optra Boom Shiva Shifting gears 9 1st September 2006 11:19
Best Brands Of Fog Lights vigsom Technical Stuff 5 12th July 2006 22:44
Baleno Fog lights shobhit15 Modifications & Accessories 5 30th August 2005 16:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks