Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd July 2006, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Default Battery Woes!

Hello People,

Greetings!

I found the OEM Exide battery on my 3.5 year old Palio 1.2 lifeless and completely drained. The car wudnt start and the lights were dim and flickering.

I hadnt used my car for 4 days at a stretch. But it was alright the last time I used it - the car started in one crank and the electricals were working fine.

I took the battery to the recharge workshop were my worst fears were confirmed. The battery was completely dead and cannot be recharged.

The technician recommended that I go for a Amaron Zero Maintenance Battery. Amaron Hi-Life?

Is Amaron Zero Maintenance a good option for my Palio 1.2? Is Zero Maintenance Battery a value for money?

Is it normal for a OEM Exide battery to die out in 3.5 years and 22.5K kms?

I look forward to reading the EXPERTS comments on the issue.

Thanks & regards,

Tanveer
sparkglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 17:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

hI Tanveer, No battery is zero maintenance..Generally batteries last for 2 to 3 years depending on the car's electrical loads..

Amaron, exide etc are all good batteries..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 18:41   #3
BHPian

3.5 years is a short time provided you are using it normally. If your vehicle is loaded with Power amplifiers and subwoofers the time period mentioned is reasonable I guess.
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 20:32   #4
BHPian

If the usage of the car is intermitent then the life of the car battery is definitely going to reduce. Remember, the more you use your car the longer the battery would last, provided ofcourse that your alternator is in good shape.

Ideally the thumb rule is that the low and the high cut off of the charging current should be not more or less than 10% of the battery voltage. Since most Car batteries are of 12 volt, the Low cut-off should be not less than 10.80 volts and the high cut-off should not be more than 13.20 volts. This means that your voltage of the car should never less than 10.8 or more than 13.2 volts and if this happens then to need to overhaul your system.

Back to the Topic. I think 3.5 years is a fairly long period for a battery to survive and I think you should be thankful. Other than the Engine the battery is the most overworked component in your car. Power Windows, Central locking, A/C, music systems,90/100 Head lamps, wipers. fog lamps, horns etc.,etc. A battery's life is also extended when it discharges and recharges at regular interval. In other words the more you use it the longer it will serve you. Make sure that it never runs dry, not even once so be vigilant about topping that distilled or de-minerlized water and never ever with tap or Mineral water.

So long....
varunroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 20:59   #5
BHPian

Thank you very much people for your comments on this issue.

However, I would like to know which battery would give me trouble free service over the years to come?

Whats this Zero Maintenance thing from Amaron? It doesnt require topups periodically?

Look forward to read your comments.

Cheers!

Tanveer
Old 3rd July 2006, 12:29   #6
BHPian

Default Battery Woes - Continue!

Thank you very much people for your comments on this issue.

I had finalized on the AMARON PRO Zero Maintenance Battery which is priced at RS.3700 (DIN44) and RS.4300 (DIN55) after discounts and dead battery buyback.

The AMARON PRO DIN 55 model has dimensions that exceed size of the battery base plate inside the cars bonnet (the length and breadth of the DIN55 battery is bigger than the battery base plate)

The Service in-charge at Sundaram Motor, Chennai says its alright to go for either one of these models,and the DIN 55 model despite its bigger dimensions can be fixed by removing the battery clamp from the base plate, and fastened or secured by the belt alone.

My Palio has been running on the OEM Exide DIN 50. The AMARON Tech Guy says their DIN 44 is equivalent to that of the EXIDE DIN50. Is that a fact?

Am in a confused state of mind as to which battery I should buy for my Palio – The AMARON DIN 44 or DIN 55? Will the DIN 44 model result in lower battery performance and life? Will the bigger dimension of the DIN 55 model have an adverse affect on the fastening and securing of the battery?

Should I just steer clear of the AMARON confusion and settle down for a EXIDE DIN 50 battery?

I request the EXPERTS here to kindly guide me. Please!

Thanks & regards,

Tanveer

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th August 2008 at 20:17. Reason: Please removed Font & other Tags before posting
Old 3rd July 2006, 15:53   #7
BHPian

Go for Exide freedom. I have been using this for almost 2 years without a top-up. Its translusant body helps you see the level of the acid in each of the cells at a glance. Frequent top-up means that your battery is over charging and the alternator needs correction. Better stick to EXIDE, after all its a " known devil ".

So long....
Old 3rd July 2006, 16:01   #8
BHPian

I've had a incident where the incorrect height battery (Amaron!) was put into my corsa and almost resulted in a fire when the Hood was shut!

compare the specs for the Exide / Amaron and see if they suit your car. As far as vouching for Amaron - I've used them on my gypsy for years ( and there are HEAVY loads in my gypsy!!) - never had a problem.

good luck with the choice - nowadays quality control is good - you should be quite satisfied whatever be your choice!
Captain Pings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 16:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Once I had a similar problem in my Siena. The car stalled on the road.

When checked the battery was fine, but the carbon deposited on the positive node was the culprit. Thats cleaned and the car was back in fine shape. Is there any suggestion on quickly checking whether the battery is drained?
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 19:41   #10
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Once I had a similar problem in my Siena. The car stalled on the road.

When checked the battery was fine, but the carbon deposited on the positive node was the culprit. Thats cleaned and the car was back in fine shape.
First clean the terminals of your battery with water. This will remove all the oxides that have collected on it. Scrape these terminal with a fine emery paper. Loosen the nuts on the terminal and place them gently on the tapered projection of the battery terminal. Tap it lightly with a spanner and tighten it just enough. Since the cord terminal are normally made of Brass and this is tightened over the lead terminals you don't need to tighten it too much. Apply Petroleum jelly ( Vaseline) liberally and evenly all over the terminal. This will prevent further oxidation on them and give them good connectivity.

Quote:
Is there any suggestion on quickly checking whether the battery is drained?
Precisely for this reason I always prefer a battery with transperent body shell so that the water level is always visible. In certain Amaron/ Furukawa batteries you have an indicator light ( not too practical) which shows you the charge/ specific gravity of the battery. The Golden rule to keep your lead acid battery in good shape is that never ever let it run dry. Once this happens it is only a matter of time before it dies a Sudden death, so take care.

So long....
Old 3rd July 2006, 23:25   #11
BHPian

Default Battery Woes - Resolved Finally!

Hello People,

Thank you very much for your views and suggestions.

I have resolved my battery woes finally! I replaced the dead OEM EXIDE battery DIN 50 with an AMARON Zero Maintenance DIN 55 battery at the cost of RS.3800/- with a 2 year replacement guarantee and a 2 year warranty on a pro-rata basis

Happy Driving!

Tanveer
Old 4th August 2008, 19:05   #12

Default Scorpio Battery Died

I got a Mahindra Scorpio , bought last year in March . Done abt 25000kms .

Yesterday morning ,the car wasnt starting . i.e. when i applied self there was some strange sound coming outta the hood . Sound like kerrrrrr..... :P

Im completely noob when it comes to cars. But a friend of mine n few others told me that its Battery problem .

I called up the Dealer to ask how much warranty is suppose to be there on the battery , he says its just 12months . Is that true I thought it was a bit longer.

Do batteries die so fast ? Its just 1.5yrs .

Mod's Note: Please take some time to get acquainted with the board, its various sections and the rules in general. You should search for an existing thread on a subject and post a message in it rather than opening a new thread. Also, your new threads should be in a proper section.

Thread migrated from the What Car section and merged here.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th August 2008 at 19:14. Reason: Mod Action message left.
Penno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 19:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi Penno,

> Do batteries die so fast ? Its just 1.5yrs .

It should not, but then Original Equipment Batteries could die. The OEM batteries usually carry only 1 year warranty.

> some strange sound coming outta the hood . Sound like kerrrrrr.....

What about your lights and indicators? Do they dim when you try to start or the only problem is in the sound?

The different sound could also be your starter having problems.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 14:46   #14

The lights and indicators are very very dim . The remote lock not working as well :(
Penno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 18:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Penno,

> The lights and indicators are very very dim . The remote lock not working as > well

Looks like a battery issue.

Please check whether the battery cables are tight.

If a car electrician / battery shop reports that the battery is gone, you may have to change it. Also check whether your battery is getting properly charged.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote