Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2008, 14:54   #91
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default

Yup, the stock filter reduces the jerk to an extent but not completely. I'm going to try and see what happens with headers and FFE soon.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:19   #92
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default

Guys you can buy the K&N replacement filter from Darshan tyres in Pune. I got mine from them
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:12   #93
BHPian
 
cyclops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 297
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

hey techno, what was the cost? did you get it from fc road or kothrud?
also, my car has just covered around 2500 kms. should i change it now or should i wait till 5k?

also an update on the screeching noise, as suspected by me belt was the culprit. i went to the MASS, they tightened the belt and said the problem is solved.

but i still observed the following,

1. There is a very brief screech when the engine is cold started.
2. Whenever i start the a/c, there is loud "click" sound, which is very noticable.
3. The engine noise and the vibrations increase substantially when i switch on the ac. Is it due to the belt too tightened or something else?

I am planning to go the MASS again tomorrow. Experts, please share some thoughts on these. it would be better if i'm equipped with some knowledge when i approach the MASS guys..!
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:27   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
hey techno, what was the cost? did you get it from fc road or kothrud?
also, my car has just covered around 2500 kms. should i change it now or should i wait till 5k?

also an update on the screeching noise, as suspected by me belt was the culprit. i went to the MASS, they tightened the belt and said the problem is solved.

but i still observed the following,

1. There is a very brief screech when the engine is cold started.
2. Whenever i start the a/c, there is loud "click" sound, which is very noticable.
3. The engine noise and the vibrations increase substantially when i switch on the ac. Is it due to the belt too tightened or something else?

I am planning to go the MASS again tomorrow. Experts, please share some thoughts on these. it would be better if i'm equipped with some knowledge when i approach the MASS guys..!
Even i am having the screech noise problem. When i turn on the AC after 5 mins of driving ie. when temp gauge shows that engine is warmed up it doesnt make any noise but if i start the ac without letting the engine get to the optimal temp it makes screech noise.

Regarding Vibrations and engine noise yes i have same problem but some times vibrations are less and my car is due for service, suspension chage, axel changes, gearbox cupling change and what not LOL.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:52   #95
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default

The price was around 2900 at that time. Buy from any place its the same.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 17:50   #96
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
but i still observed the following,

1. There is a very brief screech when the engine is cold started.
2. Whenever i start the a/c, there is loud "click" sound, which is very noticable.
3. The engine noise and the vibrations increase substantially when i switch on the ac. Is it due to the belt too tightened or something else?

I am planning to go the MASS again tomorrow. Experts, please share some thoughts on these. it would be better if i'm equipped with some knowledge when i approach the MASS guys..!
1. again some belt.... should be easy to fix... but if its too brief a sound.. don't bother.

2. Yes the click is noticable... my Alto Vxi too!... not so much in the wagonR... but wagonR is 3 times nosier!

3. when the car is idling .. the vibrations do increase.... specially in the 800cc engine. Noise too
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 11:06   #97
BHPian
 
cyclops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 297
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
1. again some belt.... should be easy to fix... but if its too brief a sound.. don't bother.

2. Yes the click is noticable... my Alto Vxi too!... not so much in the wagonR... but wagonR is 3 times nosier!

3. when the car is idling .. the vibrations do increase.... specially in the 800cc engine. Noise too
okay guys, i went to a reputed mechanic, not the MASS to get a second opinion. and he said the same things as SLK and also added that the belt maybe changed at the second servicing, dont worry.

but i still need opinion on whether i should get the K&N now or is there some run-in period to be followed?
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 17:33   #98
BHPian
 
cyclops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 297
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

okay now the latest update is that the belt still makes a very brief noise on cold start and there after it is fine.

i am going for a long trip (600kms) this weekend. will it lead to any problems? please advise.
cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 21:26   #99
BHPian
 
arpandiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 428
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

dont worry. wont create any issues.
arpandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 13:16   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 878 Times
Default

Does the problem (jerking with A/C on) continue in 2009 models too? If yes, I will have to tick off Alto from my list of prospective cars.

I occsssionally drive my b-n-law's 2004 model Alto LXi and don't notice this problem.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2009, 17:46   #101
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default

2004 is non euro 3, so the problem is not present. The problem is with the euro 3 models which is 2005 i guess. From then on all models have the issue.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 09:52   #102
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,772
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Does the problem (jerking with A/C on) continue in 2009 models too? If yes, I will have to tick off Alto from my list of prospective cars.

I occsssionally drive my b-n-law's 2004 model Alto LXi and don't notice this problem.
I have an Alto that's a year old (Euro III model), but I have not noticed any such jerking till date with use of the AC.

Yes, there is a noticeable power loss with the AC on, but if you keep the engine in the power band you will not find it a problem.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 09:57   #103
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,471
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default

The jerk does not come with the ac on. If the ac on and you release the accelerator, there is a jerk while the car decelerates.

The reason is the engine cannot take the ac load. When you back off the gas, it puts tremendous strain on the engine. This results in a jerk forward like a whiplash on the flywheel which you feel. Some cars you feel it more some not as much.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 10:09   #104
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,772
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The jerk does not come with the ac on. If the ac on and you release the accelerator, there is a jerk while the car decelerates. Some cars you feel it more some not as much.
Yes, there is a light jerk when the accelerator is released when the car is in motion. It is not very violent and is comparable to other small cars like the Santro and A-Star. Having driven all 3 cars, I must say that the Alto's jerk is not violent, but there is a definite power loss with the AC on
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 12:35   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 878 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I have an Alto that's a year old (Euro III model), but I have not noticed any such jerking till date with use of the AC.

Yes, there is a noticeable power loss with the AC on, but if you keep the engine in the power band you will not find it a problem.

Cheers,
gpa
@gpa & vid,

I am aware of the power loss while driving with A/C on and that keeping the car in the power band compensates for that to some extent. I have noticed this in the 2004 Alto too.

As I had mentioned elsewhere, the reason I am considering the Alto at all is because it reminds me of the Dolphin I had years ago (fun to drive,almost like a go-cart and puts a grin on my face!).

My question is whether this jerking is serious enough to take the grin off one's face? Both of you are in cool Bangalore and will not need to use the A/c for most of the months in a year. It will be the other way around here in Chennai.

Also, is it true Maruti will bring a Euro iv compliant 1000 cc Alto, with the A-Star engine perhaps?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Aircon: Unicool Car Aircon, Ghatkopar (W) parsh Mumbai 26 18th August 2017 00:47
A/C and fuel economy & How to use aircon optimally. Lukeskywalker Technical Stuff 115 15th June 2014 12:09
AirCon Servicing on an Alto amit_mechengg Technical Stuff 44 22nd February 2010 13:40
Adding Aircon to Non-AC Matiz. Su-47 Modifications & Accessories 4 16th October 2007 19:48
Aircon and engine temperature- Inverse relation abhi182 Technical Stuff 9 4th October 2006 13:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks