Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th March 2014, 11:33   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
In the message that i posted, the link mentions STAY KOOL has been launched in Hyderabad. I guess dealerships must be there in bangalore.

One of office colleagues has contacted his friend who has some knowledge about STAY KOOL. Once i get details from him, will update one and all.
@surgesh_gs: Any updates that you can share?

If anyone else got this coating done, please update.
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 10:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had my Fortuner treated with Stay Kool recently. My regular accessory dealer- Indian De'Cars is also a dealer for this product. He had his Fortuner, Liva & Amaze treated with this product. When he broached this subject with me, I asked him to leave his Fortuner with me for two days, which he promptly did.

I found a good difference in his car for the a/c effectiveness & the heat rejection capabilities. Then I did some internet scavenging on the same product and found it well tested. I decided to go ahead to get this treatment done to my Fortuner and conveyed the same to the dealer.

On the d-day I was ready with my camera at the dealer's place and the process is very well laid out and followed too, which I really appreciate! I had the augustine presence of fellow team bhpian 'ecosportrules' who wanted to observe the process, before deciding on the same.

Some highlights of the process:

1. The car is thoroughly washed and cleaned to remove any dust particles
2. The car interiors are vacuumed well
3. The masking of all doors and the areas is very well done with eye for detail
4. The glass is cleaned 2 or 3 times, before the compounding is done
5. A sanding agent and a binding treatment is done to the glass areas
6. The Stay Kool nano spray is then mixed fresh and is loaded into the patented spray gun
7. Each glass is sprayed under the watchful eyes of two people- One the applicant & the other is the QA watcher(Quality Analyst who watches for the spray evenness and for any dust particles)
8. The spraying process is done almost in a closed environment
9. The car is left to dry for 2-3 hours, post spraying
10. The glasses are not to be rolled down, cleaned, touched for 2-3 days to let the Stay Kool nano spray bond well
11. The car is asked to be taken back after 3 days to apply the mirror polish to bring back the shine and smoothness
12. The spray once dried up and bonded well, is hard to notice except under close observation

I will now let the pictures talk, as I tried to capture them throughout the process. Some key notes too on the pictures for your information.

Disclaimer: I have no relation with Stay Kool company, except being a finicky Customer
Attached Thumbnails
Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk1.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk2.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk3.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk4.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk5.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk6.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk7.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk8.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk9.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk10.jpg  

Last edited by getsurya : 13th April 2014 at 10:45.
getsurya is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 10:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Pictures continued...1
Attached Thumbnails
Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk11.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk12.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk13.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk14.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk15.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk16.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk17.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk18.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk19.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk20.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 10:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Pictures continued...2
Attached Thumbnails
Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk21.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk22.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk23.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk24.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk25.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk26.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk27.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk28.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk29.jpg  

Stay-Kool Micro coating on Glass. Alternative to Sunfilm?-sk30.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (24) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 11:06   #35
BHPian

Hi Surya, thank you for the very detailed report and photographs. Looks like the product is very good and they are offering very professional service as well. However, I have not heard back from them about availability in Bangalore after their first response to my email in which they said they will get back soon.

You have not mentioned the cost in your report. If you dont have any problems in sharing the same and if it is not against the forum rules request you to please do so.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 09:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have not mentioned the cost in your report.
Hi Mohan,

I have paid Rs.18000/- for my Fortuner to get the Stay Kool treatment done. It is on the higher side as there is lot of glass area for a Fortuner!

It was a thorough process and well executed too!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 10:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the pics and detailed info surya, it's a big help. Also, I was given to understand that stay-kool is significantly more expensive than you said! What a pleasant surprise, 18,000/- isn't all that bad for a car as hulking and large as the Fortuner.

Keep us posted on how you feel Stay-kool fares in the short and long-term!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 10:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Mohan,

I have paid Rs.18000/- for my Fortuner to get the Stay Kool treatment done. It is on the higher side as there is lot of glass area for a Fortuner!

Hi Surya,
Was the front wind shield also covered for this treatment? Also, if your dealer can give any pointers for a similar treatment to be done in Bangalore, it'll be great.
neel911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 14:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was the front wind shield also covered for this treatment?
Hi neel,

The front windshield was not covered as I opted not to touch it. Otherwise, they have a special spray lance for it too, that can help in reaching the corners of the windshield.

Quote:
Thanks for all the pics and detailed info surya, it's a big help. Also, I was given to understand that stay-kool is significantly more expensive than you said! What a pleasant surprise, 18,000/- isn't all that bad for a car as hulking and large as the Fortuner.
Hi iliketurtles,

I am glad am of some help! I took the leap and 18k is still a big amount. However, I was convinced with the product and hence invested that money into it.

Last edited by bblost : 14th April 2014 at 14:54. Reason: fixed quote tag
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 14:55   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

18k without front ??!!!
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 07:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mohan,
Thanks for the great pictorial - I have been following up with them to get this done in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Hi Surya,
Was the front wind shield also covered for this treatment? Also, if your dealer can give any pointers for a similar treatment to be done in Bangalore, it'll be great.
Neel,
Here is the contact details for Bangalore, they would be starting in a week's time is what I heard and they are ready to take appointments:

Contact Person: Mahesh
Tulsi Arcade
Below ASAP Tutor. Opp to State Bank of Patiala, Shekhar Nursing Home
28th Main Rd, 9th Block Jayanagar, Bangalore, Karnataka 560041
Contact Number: 9740220551

He is said it would cost approximately Rs.6000/- for the 4 doors for the Honda City excluding the front and back windshields.

Quote:
The front windshield was not covered as I opted not to touch it. Otherwise, they have a special spray lance for it too, that can help in reaching the corners of the windshield.
Have you seen it done for Front WindShield? The Contact from Bangalore said they are not doing it for front and rear as a safety measure. Then, he later revealed that he tried it for his own car and was unsuccessful and hence not doing it for the other cars (front and rear windshields) where the windshield has a heavy incline like in the case of Honda City. I guess its easier in the Fortuner since the rear glass is not inclined much.

There is only center BLR as of now and I guess it better to wait for some reviews to come maybe about the quality of their work.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 1st May 2014 at 07:12.
vsrivatsa is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 08:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the great pictorial
Hi Vsrivatsa,

What the person in Blr informed you is correct, even the rear glass of my Fortuner is little hazy and hence they have agreed to remove it and refund some part of my money. It is better to get this done only to the windows and we have seen a remarkable difference in the temperature inside the car.

Kindly do not touch the front & rear glasses!
getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 13:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Thanks for the great pictorial - I have been following up with them to get this done in Bangalore

Neel,
Here is the contact details for Bangalore, they would be starting in a week's time is what I heard and they are ready to take appointments:

Contact Person: Mahesh
Tulsi Arcade
Below ASAP Tutor. Opp to State Bank of Patiala, Shekhar Nursing Home
28th Main Rd, 9th Block Jayanagar, Bangalore, Karnataka 560041
Contact Number: 9740220551

He is said it would cost approximately Rs.6000/- for the 4 doors for the Honda City excluding the front and back windshields.

Have you seen it done for Front WindShield? The Contact from Bangalore said they are not doing it for front and rear as a safety measure. Then, he later revealed that he tried it for his own car and was unsuccessful and hence not doing it for the other cars (front and rear windshields) where the windshield has a heavy incline like in the case of Honda City. I guess its easier in the Fortuner since the rear glass is not inclined much.

There is only center BLR as of now and I guess it better to wait for some reviews to come maybe about the quality of their work.
Any updates whether someone got this done here or information about a new center in Bangalore?
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 07:43   #44
BHPian

I hope this is a good place to post this. This solution seems to be the only alternative to sun film. A group of car owners on facebook (XUV owners) have approached Stay Cool to conduct a demo in Bangalore. The venue will probably be palace grounds in Jayamahal (Bangalore). Please pm me if you are interested (preferably to buy/implement). The more people we can get, the greater we can exercise our collective bargaining powers. He's quoted 15K for 6 panes.

Last edited by triedeverything : 19th March 2015 at 07:44.
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 18:19   #45
BHPian

About 6 of us met with the dealer. The dealer brought his OHC on which he's done the treatment. There is a noticeable difference. He had a 500W light that we plugged to a nearby socket and we first tried the light on the treated car. While one of us sat in the car and placed an arm on the sill, the window glass was raised and the light was switched on. After a while, the glass was lowered. There is a significant heat reduction when the glass is up, even though the glass is still very transparent. To ensure that it is not because of the glass but because of the treatment, we tried the light on an untreated car. Lowered and raised the glass. There was a drop in heat.. but not as much as the dealer's car. I think it makes sense to only do the side windows. There is a slight haze (for want of a better word), a sort of plasticky effect. But this is not so much as to affect visibility. I'd go to the extent and say that because the glass remains clear, it's probably better than sun film, especially for night driving.

The dealer is not into this full time (and is actually a programmer with a reputed IT firm). So any treatment will have to be done on a weekend. He had a showroom/workshop in Jayanagar, but he's closed that down and has tied up with various detailing outlets for use of space, whenever necessary. He says he can do only one car (of the XUV caliber) a day. Once sprayed, the car should be left alone for two hours. And then for a week, no one should touch the glass, nor can the windows be rolled down. If there's an emergency... make sure you carry some rope (for the other occupants

In one of the posts above, they talk about going back after a week for a polish job. This polish job, he doesn't do. He says that the polish is not available and that no one does it anymore. He's done over 20 cars so far and also done a couple of buildings in Bangalore. The spray when applied, fuses to the glass (some sort of chemical process) and it's very difficult (almost impossible) to tell what part is done and what is not. So if you ever get stopped (highly unlikely), you can confidently ask them to first find it!

One thing is certain; if you are considering this treatment, you need to see the finished product. But like one of the participants said, if it can do what V Kool does and still remain clear, it's worth going for it.

He's quoted 10K for the 6 sides. If he gets 10 cars, he's willing to give a better price.

The VLT (visible light transmittance) that the Supreme Court specified is 70%. The VLT after treatment is between 85 and 87%. So that should give you an idea of how clear it is. At the same time, the IR radiation reduction is comparable with that of the VKool 90. He didn't bring a thermometer to check temperature, but the brochure says that heat passed through plain glass will cause iron plates (after 60 seconds of exposure to 375W IR lamp) to get to 66.0 degree Celsius, while a SK treated glass will only allow the temperature to reach 35.2 degree Celsius.

You might also like this video -
triedeverything is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote